Character Sheet Feedback

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
By the way,Jeff, I spent a year at Kentridge HS back in my youth. Did you go to HS in Kent?

No, I went to Tomas Jefferson High School in Federal Way.

Maybe add a line for Expenses, as introduced in the Equipment doc (instead of "Upkeep," e.g.).

Also, maybe change "Vision" to "Senses," since players can have blindsense and stuff like that.

Both are good call outs. Expenses probably belongs with money and equipment, though.

I'm pretty sure the character description area will be modified once we have the rules for goals and inspiration.

I'm also thinking about how best to handle sub-classes now that they're universal to all classes, but differ in name.

One thing that came out in today's session is that my new players didn't immediately recognize that class features and feats were different things and started using feat slots for class features. That's both a design failure on my part, and evidence that perhaps feats should get a new name.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
This is mostly a note for myself, but I think the magic item sheet needs space for how many attuned items you can have, and items need a checkbox for if they're attuned.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Release 0.8

I've made changes according to feedback and experience. In particular, there's a place to record your lifestyle costs, "vision" has been renamed to "senses", fields of lore is now a checklist, the class features section has been revised, the hit point tracker has been redesigned, and magic items now how a checkbox for attunement.

This release is not yet form fillable.

Li Shenron

Legend
Horrendous? In what way?

Ignore. Your character sheet is certainly nice for a lot of us, good job! :)

Some feedback from me too...

- Fields of Lore as a checklist is not ideal IMO, for two reasons: (1) they rarely change after character creation (IIRC only if you take the Loremaster feat) and (2) some of them are actually split in sublores that you can have multiples of

- Feats probably need more space now, since each of them has many uses... also Fighters can have up to 7 feats

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
This sheet is nearly perfect, but the imperfections really bug me. ;)

• Ability modifiers are still called "bonuses." They need to be called modifiers. We have plenty of negatives at my table.
  • It's weird how there's only one box for attack bonus. This keeps confusing my players. Are we supposed to put our "base" attack bonus in there, or that plus our ability modifier? I propose attack bonus should be split into the bonus you actually use when you attack with something ("strength attack," "dexterity attack," "magic attack"), and base attack bonus from class levels. The former should be in [a] big, very visible box[es], and the latter should be a tiny footnote.
  • The Defenses section should have one field that is just called "Armor" and sets your "Base AC," since that's how armor works.
  • The Attacks and Defenses sections doesn't need weights, since that's already in the Equipment section.
  • "Add dex modifier" under AC doesn't make much sense. That implies that you expect people to write down their AC without dex modifier, and do the math in their head every time something attacks them. I propose you change that line to "includes dex modifier."
  • I agree that lore fields as checklist doesn't make sense. Many lore fields are general headings--how am I supposed to record that I have Cultural Lore (Icewind Dale) and Cultural Lore (Myth Drannor)?
  • It's weird that the "use ability score for..." column has such specific tasks, and that Constitution has none. Maybe scour the How to Play doc for more examples of what ability scores are used for.
  • Failed Death Saves should be on page 1. So should Successful Death Saves, since you have to track both.
  • "Ethereal" should be changed to "incorporeal" in the list of conditions on the adventure tracking page. The list is also not quite alphabetized correctly, and doesn't include "unconscious."

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Ignore. Your character sheet is certainly nice for a lot of us, good job! :)

Some feedback from me too...

- Fields of Lore as a checklist is not ideal IMO, for two reasons: (1) they rarely change after character creation (IIRC only if you take the Loremaster feat) and (2) some of them are actually split in sublores that you can have multiples of

- Feats probably need more space now, since each of them has many uses... also Fighters can have up to 7 feats

You're probably right about fields of knowledge. As for feats, I haven't decided. I'm tempted to make an optional sheet for recording them in detail, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

As for the fighter that takes seven feats, it is possible, but also very unlikely that they won't ever opt for an ability score increase. If I can find a comfortable way to fit seven, I'll do it. But I won't go through too many contortions for an extreme edge case.

This sheet is nearly perfect, but the imperfections really bug me. ;)

• Ability modifiers are still called "bonuses." They need to be called modifiers. We have plenty of negatives at my table.
  • It's weird how there's only one box for attack bonus. This keeps confusing my players. Are we supposed to put our "base" attack bonus in there, or that plus our ability modifier? I propose attack bonus should be split into the bonus you actually use when you attack with something ("strength attack," "dexterity attack," "magic attack"), and base attack bonus from class levels. The former should be in [a] big, very visible box[es], and the latter should be a tiny footnote.
  • The Defenses section should have one field that is just called "Armor" and sets your "Base AC," since that's how armor works.
  • The Attacks and Defenses sections doesn't need weights, since that's already in the Equipment section.
  • "Add dex modifier" under AC doesn't make much sense. That implies that you expect people to write down their AC without dex modifier, and do the math in their head every time something attacks them. I propose you change that line to "includes dex modifier."
  • I agree that lore fields as checklist doesn't make sense. Many lore fields are general headings--how am I supposed to record that I have Cultural Lore (Icewind Dale) and Cultural Lore (Myth Drannor)?
  • It's weird that the "use ability score for..." column has such specific tasks, and that Constitution has none. Maybe scour the How to Play doc for more examples of what ability scores are used for.
  • Failed Death Saves should be on page 1. So should Successful Death Saves, since you have to track both.
  • "Ethereal" should be changed to "incorporeal" in the list of conditions on the adventure tracking page. The list is also not quite alphabetized correctly, and doesn't include "unconscious."

• Good call on the bonuses versus modifiers. I keep forgetting to change it.
  • The space is for the Attack Bonus granted by your class. I don't see much value in having a space for the derived stats, since each weapon has such as space. But I'll think on it. That said, the attack bonus as we know it is getting replaced in the next packet.
  • I'm also unhappy with how I'm presenting armor calculations. Though I'm a bit unhappy with how the game presents them.
  • There are no constitution actions, and I intend that space to only describe actions. It worked better with the last packet.
  • I probably wont add death saves to the front page, but I will add a successful saves section and a bit more related info.
  • I never went over the conditions with the new packet. Thanks for pointing this out.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases