Character Sheet Feedback

Li Shenron

Legend
As for feats, I haven't decided. I'm tempted to make an optional sheet for recording them in detail, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

As for the fighter that takes seven feats, it is possible, but also very unlikely that they won't ever opt for an ability score increase. If I can find a comfortable way to fit seven, I'll do it. But I won't go through too many contortions for an extreme edge case.

Yes, with so many optional features and different possible levels of complexities of the same kind of thing (e.g. one-line feats vs long descriptions / multiple abilities feats), it is harder than ever to design character sheets :)

On one hand, the optional stuff would make more sense on a separate page. On the other hand, you don't need a whole page for feats for instance...

Maybe there is something else than PDF that lets you hide/expand with a click certain sections of the document, before printing?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Yes, with so many optional features and different possible levels of complexities of the same kind of thing (e.g. one-line feats vs long descriptions / multiple abilities feats), it is harder than ever to design character sheets :)

On one hand, the optional stuff would make more sense on a separate page. On the other hand, you don't need a whole page for feats for instance...

Maybe there is something else than PDF that lets you hide/expand with a click certain sections of the document, before printing?

I can use layers to do that sort of thing. I've avoided it for two reasons. First, the original contest required that I submit in jpeg. Second, because its a fair amount of work to do when the playtest is in such flux. But I'll gladly do such a thing when it's more stable.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Release 0.9

I've updated the sheet for the September 20th, 2013 packet, as well as to address feedback.

As always, I'm looking for feedback. Once I've address feedback, I'll take the time to make it fillable.

What's changed:

The Defenses and Attacks section have been merged into a combat section and rearranged. This was done to open up some more space for tracking proficiencies and various modifiers while keeping the sheet feeling organized.

A fair amount of stylistic polish has been included as well. Hopefully you like it.

Jack99

Adventurer
I like it! Thanks for doing this. Will use it for my next campaign starting on Tuesday, then come back and hit you with some feedback.

Cheers

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Shield is misspelled in the AC subsection.

I would like another line for languages.

I would also prefer if the sheet were editable.

Thanks for the callout on the misspelling. Let me know if you find more.

If I can find a good way to fit another line, I'll do so.

When I've collected feedback, I intend to make it editable.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Thanks for the update--just in time for tonight's game!

I second the languages suggestion--it's very easy to start with 10 languages if you're a high elf sage mage. They don't really need to be on page 1 (they don't come up as often as hit points or class abilities).

The formula for Save DC on the spell sheet is wrong: it should be 8 + magic ability modifier + spellcasting bonus (if any). Not all classes get a spellcasting bonus, and even the classes that do have one don't get it all the time. You might want to think about having "with spellcasting bonus" and "without spellcasting bonus" boxes, since it can vary from round to round.

Some feedback from my players: they find it annoying to have to turn the sheet over to look at their limited use features (ki points, superiority dice).

On the other hand: they need more slots for limited use features. The Fighter has second wind, action surge, and superiority dice.

In the armor section (on the right side of the page) I'd change "bonus" to "AC," since a suit of armor doesn't give you a bonus, it just sets your AC to a certain number. If the column is just labeled "AC," someone can truthfully write that chain mail is AC 16, and a shield is AC +2.

What's the deal with the "wounds" box next to hit points? It should just be called "current hit points." Calling it wounds makes me think of Warhammer.

What's the "other modifiers" column on page 1 for?

The "Ability Checks" header seems misnamed, since it encompasses proficiencies (which include skills, attacks, and saving throws).

Attached is an edited version, which I will use for the time being.

Attachments

• gxsigma edit of Jeff Carlsen - D&D 5E Character Sheet 0.9b.pdf
    696.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Thanks for the update--just in time for tonight's game!

I aim to please. Before I start, I once again thank you for your detailed critique. It's invaluable in the pursuit of the perfect sheet.

I second the languages suggestion--it's very easy to start with 10 languages if you're a high elf sage mage. They don't really need to be on page 1 (they don't come up as often as hit points or class abilities).

I think I'll remove senses, which are really racial features the vast majority of the time and can be recorded there, and give their line to languages.

The formula for Save DC on the spell sheet is wrong: it should be 8 + magic ability modifier + spellcasting bonus (if any). Not all classes get a spellcasting bonus, and even the classes that do have one don't get it all the time. You might want to think about having "with spellcasting bonus" and "without spellcasting bonus" boxes, since it can vary from round to round.

I've got a solution for this now.

Some feedback from my players: they find it annoying to have to turn the sheet over to look at their limited use features (ki points, superiority dice).

On the other hand: they need more slots for limited use features. The Fighter has second wind, action surge, and superiority dice.

I think I'd prefer to add an extra feature slot to the back page and keep all the special features together.

In the armor section (on the right side of the page) I'd change "bonus" to "AC," since a suit of armor doesn't give you a bonus, it just sets your AC to a certain number. If the column is just labeled "AC," someone can truthfully write that chain mail is AC 16, and a shield is AC +2.

Done.

What's the deal with the "wounds" box next to hit points? It should just be called "current hit points." Calling it wounds makes me think of Warhammer.

Every official D&D sheet has called that space "wounds". But I'll rename it to match what I'm using on the tracking sheet, because I agree that it makes more sense.

What's the "other modifiers" column on page 1 for?

It's a place to write down modifiers and the like that you want easy reference to, such as expertise bonuses, bonuses from magic items, or racial features that grant advantage. Perhaps a better name is in order, though I'm not sure what it is at the moment.

The "Ability Checks" header seems misnamed, since it encompasses proficiencies (which include skills, attacks, and saving throws).

Agreed. I'll use your heading of "Abilities & Proficiencies".

Attached is an edited version, which I will use for the time being.

Cool. I'll make it easier for folks soon by providing the InDesign document I use when I'm done applying feedback.

Philousk

Explorer
You would consent that I share the results of your work on some French forums? I will make sure you give all copyright credits. I also mention that your character sheet is still under construction or still looking for improvements (although I find superbly successful for the moment).Also, I will publish all future new versions that you kindly share with us in the future.

Remove ads