rules qu: Bo9S, can a 1st level human warlock take martial study/martial stance?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I had this idea for taking martial study and martial stance from Book of Nine Swords at 1st level to get some fire resistance for a human warlock at 1st level, but was not sure it is legal. I think the manifester level for non-manifesters is 1/2 one's level to get one's virtual manifester level so would that mean I would have to wait until 3rd and 6th level to take these feats?

Make sure you've got your terminology right. Manifester level is for psionics. Initiator level is for maneuvers.

And your thought is correct: Because you're currently at 1/2 Initiator level, you effectively can't take Martial Study or Martial Stance at 1st. You wouldn't qualify to take any maneuvers at the time despite technically meeting the feat's prerequisites (which are none). You'd have to wait until 3rd+, or take your second level as fighter and use the fighter feat to get it since Martial Study and Martial Stance are both fighter bonus feats.

Wyvernhand

First Post
I'm like, 80% sure that Martial Study requires a +1 BAB, on top of everything and anything else. That means that a Warlock doesn't qualify at 1. Scratch that, just looked it up, no +1 BAB prereq like I thought. I still have EWP on the brain from another thread.

As for the question, I've heard it either way. Some people say that you can't have an IL of 0, and that your first level should be rounded up (all other levels round down). Others aren't so sure. I'd be most inclined to say it does, since there is actually no problem with having an IL of 0 (you can't learn any maneuvers, and even if you had one, any variables due to IL like the +damage from Burning Blade would just be 0).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases