Building an Economy in D&D 3.x *Help*

Lyrad8791

First Post
So I am currently running a stronghold that I helped create. My problem now is I need sources of income to keep the place running. Anyone have any ideas?

What I have so far:

Mines with a minimum income of 1400 GP a week, which might increase.
Papyrus, which I will receive in a few in game months to grow and use to create and sell paper, of good quality.
I am breeding pigs and a few other animals for their parts (Pigs for salted pork, and food for the local tavern/inn I have; Cows for beef and leather; Sheep for wool and lamb.)
I have woodworkers, leather workers, and a blacksmith so far to output finished products.
I am contemplating getting an alchemist or using one of the party members who has the craft as a source for that as well.
Growing maple trees for syrup. Future source of income.

I have run dry the market of large lumber (approx. size of trees is an old redwood.. not ancient but old).
The mine is on its last leg as I was getting 360 GP a day until recently with new deposits being found.

I am contemplating getting an alchemist or using one of the party members who has the craft as a source for that as well.

I have 35 Dwarven mason/workers on contract for the next 5 years as well. So if anyone can think of something to add to this list I would really like that.

Thanks and post away.

Last edited:

Lyrad8791

First Post
We are all level 6 currently but nearly 7.. one of us is a druid and there are no primary wizards in the party at the moment. We actually have two druids but on is a half dragon so isn't as high in level. We have two fighters and myself a rogue/spymaster.

What was the idea you had? I might be able to make something work.

Derren

Hero
Unless it is a rather untraditional stronghold your main income would be taxes, tolls or when you go more along the line of "robber baron" tributes.

What type of mine do you have? I assume its gold or silver as otherwise you wouldn't directly receive wealth from it.

Anyway, in the end it all depends on trade. Making finished products doesn't mean anything when you can't sell them and just selling them locally won't bring in much money as the market is easily saturated. Trade also brings you income in form of taxes and supplying the traders as well as likely makes it cheaper to import materials for your production (you are very unlikely to be self sufficient). So set those dwarves on building bridges, ports if possible or better roads. And don't forget to tax anyone who uses them.

And for trade to blossom the political situation must be right. Are there wars nearby, how are your standing with neigbouring lords, is your leige lord respected, etc.
I assume you have the title for your stronghold? Otherwise you will have problems when the noble who owns this place wants his stuff back.

Last edited:

Lyrad8791

First Post
Ah yes right now I am waiting on people to move in from outlying city's and towns. I was given the rights to the area. As much as I could hold to quote them because its a dangerous area. So taxes will be coming in once I have people. I could get the dwarves to work work on making a more efficient road though.

What finished products were you thinking about, cause its exactly that which I need to think of.

Currently there is no war going on within the kingdom I'm in that I know of, and since I am in a Ravenloft era of the place there will be a bit of difficulty with attacking other realms sometimes.

I am about three months travel from the ocean but I do have rivers within a weeks travel or less that I could build a port at.

The mines have copper and gems currently, and might have some silver or gold still in them as well. Initially it had a wealth of gold and gemstones too. On top of those we had a few of the "rarer" types of minerals from other sources such as wraithstone and primordial iron.

Last bit, I have connections with the lead merchant of the merchants guild in the Capitol of the area so I can spread what I produce to many areas.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Four comments:

1) What's the climate and terrain? Maple syrup and pigs = colder temperate forest, e.g. Vermont. Papyrus comes from Egypt and grows in wetlands, I believe.

2) Check out "Magical Mystical Society: Western Europe" and possibly "Silk Road" from the same folks.

3) Read up on some medieval economics. It's interesting stuff. If you're in school, ask a history teacher or librarian. If not, try looking at a bookstore.

4) Modern economics can be somewhat useful as a starting point. To get an idea of the mindblowing complexity of a modern economy, check out the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS): http://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/
Download the Excel spreadsheet: 2012 NAICS Structure

alcoholander

First Post
What you produce seems diversified enough so I don't think you need more products in your portfolio. I also think that trade is what matters most. Try to find where to market your products and specialize in a few things that you do best. You could search for unlikely markets - isolated kingdoms, tribes or peoples the others don't like trading with.

Greenfield

Adventurer
You want lumber? There are ways to magically create/grow trees. One of the Quall's Feather Tokens (400 gp market price) produces a full grown tree as a permanent thing. 60 feet high, 40 foot diameter crown, 5 foot diameter trunk.

There was a Druid spell, relatively low level, that grew a certain number of full grown trees within a 60 foot circle.

But don't use them just for lumber. Specifically plant fruit and nut trees. That way you get a harvest out of them, as well as good hardwood lumber.

Long term, you'll want tenants on the local farms. You'll take your "rents" as a share of the crops, which you'll eat and/or sell in your city. Remember to build up a storage reserve of grains and such to feed your people in bad crop years, or if you're ever under siege. It also gives you something to sell to neighbors when their crops are doing poorly.

And have your Druid do Plant Growth on the orchards and fields every year.

As your levels advance to the point where your spellcasters get fast transport magic, you can take advantage of that financially.

Be aware though that managing a town, a keep and the associated lands is a full time occupation. You and your allies will, in essence, be giving up the adventuring life and settling down.

Remove ads