So who's playing Neverwinter

I've been downloading the game for four-and-a-half hours, wasting my entire day off (I called in sick due to migraine, and then remembered NW and was happy).
They didn't let people pre-download the client so their servers are slammed and bandwidth is limited, despite a couple mirrors and a torrent option. This is a short term delay.

The servers are also pretty overloaded by the sudden (yet completely expected) demand for the game, so there's long queues to play, even for people who paid the $60-200. Those that get in can expect plenty of rubberbanding and lag. Which is typical of a launch day MMO.

Yes, it's a "beta", but it's a "beta" for a Free2Play game with no more server/character wipes and they're taking money for freemium items. So the difference between this and a launch is really just semantics.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I created a Half-Elf Devoted Cleric of Torm last night. It's kind of fun. It's not a strict translation of 4E, more of an "inspired by 4E". The mechanics remind me of Diablo, more than anything else, with your main abilities bound to the mouse buttons.

I haven't gotten very far though, only level 5.

What really intrigues me is the Foundry, where players can create their own scenarios/dungeons that other people can play.

As for whether to try it or not, it is free. The download is long (I recommend the torrent) and there is pretty crazy queues at the moment. But I think it's worth trying.

And I finished my giant ass review of Neverwinter.

TL;DR
Neverwinter is an action RPG that doesn’t provide solid enough action to really satisfy action aficionados. The story is too light to really hold story fans for long, starting well but quickly moving into filler.
As a free2play game it needs invested fans willing to pay, but there’s not enough content to keep people reliably playing repeatedly or enough bonuses that seems worthy of paying for. And it’s easy for people who are invested to skip paying and grind to get that same content.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I played it for 45 mins or so today. I wanted a spear! Anyway; immediately launch I to "Collect 10 xs and report back" missions which were why my WoW career lasted only 45 mins. But the foundry thing does intrigue me. I have to get to level 15 to use that though. How long does that tend to take?

Fifteen will take a few hours of dedicated play.
But if you put in 45 minutes every couple days, by the time you hit Foundry levels the Foundry should be a little more solid and stable.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Been playing a little here and there. Unfortunately it runs kinda dodgy on my machine. (And the darn thing's only a couple of years old!) While this is just a bit annoying most of the time it gets really bad in close combat situations, as the aim point tends to go out of control randomly. Not sure if its the game or that the controls are real sensitive to slight twitches. Anyway, mostly having fun with it. My biggest complaint is that the Foundry (making your own dungeons/adventures for those who don't know) isn't available til level 15, as others have already said. My highest level character is only 11. I want to play with that feature NOW!!! :lol:

GSHamster

Adventurer
Here's my first impressions: Neverwinter First Impressions

My conclusion:

On the whole, I would say that Neverwinter is a B-grade MMO. The game looks decent enough. The character models aren't the best. Classes are hit and miss. The mechanics are decent enough, but nothing amazing. The UI is a bit cluttered. It just doesn't have that layer of polish that you expect from the top tier of MMOs. As well, the monetization scheme has the potential to be very annoying.

However, the Foundry is the wild card here. The Foundry has vast potential. But it remains to be seen if that potential will be realized.

Remove ads