Pathfinder 1E Wondrous Item assistance

koesherbacon

First Post
Hey guys,

Looking for some assistance in designing a wondrous items my Pathfinder players will soon encounter. They're underground, deep beneath a Dwarven city built into a mountain and will soon discover a long-forgotten Wishing Well.

This wish will grant Wishes or Limited Wishes (as the spells) based on how much money is tossed in. There's a catch (of course), where after the player has tossed in their money and made their wish an unforeseen consequence (possibly good or bad) takes place. Think of it as a "Wishing Well of Many Things".

Before I get ahead of myself, where should the line be drawn between them receiving a Wish or Limited Wish in terms of money?

After figuring out that magic number, let's say I want to give the option of having between 1 and 3 Ws or LWs granted depending on the amount of money. How should I break that down?

Let's say (and this is probably not what I'm going to do, but will make math much simpler) that 101 gp is the cut off between receiving LWs and Ws.

At 10-50 gp, they'd get 1 LW.
At 60-90 gp, they'd get 2 LWs
At 100 gp, they'd get 3 LWs.
At 101-300 gp, they'd get 1 W.
At 301-500 gp, they'd get 2 Ws.
And at 501+ gp, they'd get 3 Ws.

Does that scaling make sense for what I have in mind?

As I said above, there would be certain consquences that take place after they've made their LWs and Ls. The consequences would both be Good and Bad for the character and would be less severe for LWs than for Ws. I thought coming up with two separate d% or d20 charts for these Major or Minor Consequences would be a fun way for the players to randomly select what happens after they've made their wishes.

Perhaps the breakdown for those consequences would be:

At 10-50 gp, they'd get 1 LW. 2 Minor Consequences.
At 60-90 gp, they'd get 2 LWs. 3 Minor Consequences.
At 100 gp, they'd get 3 LWs. 4 Minor Consequences.
At 101-300 gp, they'd get 1 W. 4 Minor Consequences & 1 Major Consequence.
At 301-500 gp, they'd get 2 Ws. 5 Minor Consequences & 2 Major Consequences.
And at 501+ gp, they'd get 3 Ws. 6 Minor Consequences & 2 Major Consequences.

Does that seem reasonable?

Once we've sorted that out, I finally need a hand at creating a chart for these Major and Minor Consequences where a player would roll a d% or d20 to select the outcome randomly. Anybody want to help me out with those?

I would love, LOVE, LOVE some help coming up with fun Good and Bad consequence for the players and know you'll all come up with some awesome ideas.

I want my players to love this well and for it to be both a place of great reward and possible hindrance if they roll poorly.

Many thanks!

koesherbacon

First Post
Using a standard 54 Card playing card set (Jokers included) would also be a really fun way for them to pick their consequences, so I think finding 54 Minor and 54 Major consequences would be an awesome goal to shoot for!

koesherbacon

First Post
Looking at it now in a spreadsheet, it might be better to just have 1 set of consequences and the players simply receive more depending on the Ws or LWs they choose to make.

The amended breakdown will probably look like this:
At 10-50 gp, they'd get 1 LW. 1 Minor Consequences.
At 60-90 gp, they'd get 2 LWs. 2 Minor Consequences.
At 100 gp, they'd get 3 LWs. 3 Minor Consequences.
At 101-300 gp, they'd get 1 W. 4 Minor Consequences.
At 301-500 gp, they'd get 2 Ws. 5 Minor Consequences.
And at 501+ gp, they'd get 3 Ws. 6 Minor Consequences.
I think that's a little more manageable.

knottyprof

First Post
I would scale the cost based on the material cost for casting the spell (i.e. 10,000 gp for a wish) and the consequence being the loss of XP as if the character cast the spell (i.e. 5,000 xp for a wish and 300 xp for a limited wish). Since Limited wishes do not have a material cost I would scale it in comparison to the cost for a wish so a single limited wish would require 600 gp. Another idea for consequences would be in the way of balance. If a character wished for a higher ability score, have another one drop by the same amount, if he wished for a specific magic item, have one or more items of equal value disappear. (Values based on 3.5 PHB)

For pathfinder the material cost for a wish is 25,000 gp with no XP and limited wish is 1,500 gp with no XP cost. I would still go that route for costs and use the XP costs found in the PHB which actually scales with the costs given above.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases