Game Design 108: Realism vs. Fun

There are two main approaches to RPG design. One is to aim for a game which is fun, and the other is to aim for a game which is realistic. Neither approach is wrong, but both can be taken too far. It’s something good to consider as a game designer because if your game is too realistic it might kill the fun, and if it’s too fun—well, that’s just plain bad. Seriously though, a game which is too unrealistic can cause players to lose interest quickly.

The first stance most game designers take is that their game should, above all, be fun. This is a fine thing, but if you don’t pay attention to some elements of realism, the fun of your game will suffer. RPGs function based on an imagining of personas in a fictional world reacting in accordance with the laws of the universe and the setting. You can’t do the same things in a medieval world that you can do in a sci-fi one. One way which most games break the rules is with magic. Magic gives you a lot of leeway when designing realism in your games, but it can also cause a lot of havoc for the same reason. While most people can agree that a sword deals more damage than a dagger, comparing a fireball to a sword blow becomes a little more difficult.

If you take the stance that realism is irrelevant, you’ll soon run into some pretty crazy scenarios in play-testing. People will wonder how far they can move, how much they can see, and just how much damage they can do with fire spells. If you don’t answer those questions, or answer them poorly; your game will suffer for it. One interesting point to note is that it doesn’t unusually matter how precisely accurate your measurements are. Just the fact that it’s a consideration is often enough. For example, if you have no rules on overland movement, people will worry. If you have an inaccurate or abstract set of rules on overland movement, most people will be happy. If you measure overland movement too precisely, you might create more trouble than the whole thing’s worth.

Whenever you find yourself adding a rule ‘just because’—think again. Why exactly are you putting this in the game? How realistic is it? Yes, we all know it would be totally awesome to stick that power/item/race in the game, but if someone asks what exactly it does, can you define it in basic terms? A power which allows you to knock over any enemy sounds awesome. It’s not nearly so awesome when demi-humans start using it to knock over Godzilla or ten-thousand-foot titans because it’s ‘in the rules’. You don’t have to cover every crazy eventuality in the rules. All you have to do is set a good example. If you come at the whole game design process from a relatively realistic frame of mind, it’s much more likely the players of the game will do the same. In a game where everything else about the system was gritty and realistic, the above knock-down power would probably be assumed to affect only creatures of similar size. It might even be viewed as a minor typo that you didn’t define the size or weight of the target to be knocked over, or a chance to save against the effect.

On the exact opposite end of things are the games which are too realistic. Some people will say that a game can never be too realistic. It’s possible that’s a valid statement, but I like to err on the side of safety. To me, when a game becomes tedious or boring because of rules which are too elaborate (whatever their noble purpose) they must be eliminated or changed. This applies to rules meant to be realistic, rules meant to be fluff, or any other kind of rules. If it bogs down the game, doesn’t make it any more fun, and serves only obscure purposes; why do you have it in there?

Going off of our example above, you could probably have a complex formula defining chances to knock down a foe based on such things as physics, weight, speed, strength, and density of the object to be felled. Chances are, the numbers will be messed up anyway. Essentially, you have a very complicated way of determining something which is meant to be realistic, but in fact probably isn’t more realistic than saying you have a 2 in 6 chance to knock down people of your size or under. The point is not to be unrealistic, but to beware of being ‘too’ realistic. If you have magic, giant robots, and death rays in your game; people probably don’t want to worry about height-to-weight ratios and complex physics. If you don’t have death rays in your game, I probably can’t help you.

What I like to do is create the ‘illusion’ of realism. For me, realism isn’t a huge deal. If the game is totally awesome, I’m happy. That said, if the game allows me to do things which feel false, the whole world seems to turn into a fictional parody. Non-magical warriors who suddenly glow and then can leap 100 ft. and topple Titans tend to ruin the fun of the game for me. I’d rather have a more realistic warrior who has to design a trap to knock down that big bad guy. Super heroics are fun, but I like to have a reason for them. If it’s magic, special training, incredible smarts—that’s all good. If there’s no good reason, I tend to get a little annoyed.

That said, there are some things I prefer to keep abstract. One thing is wounds. I don’t really want to know all the gruesome details of getting struck with a sword, getting festering sores, and eventually dying. I’d rather go more James Bond style with bullets flying everywhere, nicks and scratches, and vague hit points. I guess you could say there are some things I like to gloss over and some I like to play out. It’s fine with me if my warrior can climb a sheer cliff without much trouble even if it’s highly unrealistic. If he starts walking on ceilings, I’d better hope there’s magic involved.

Another trick you can use is to imagine the people eventually playing your game. Consider them to be smart, mature, realistic, practical, fun-loving, and basically awesome. Imagine the poor GM with his hands full trying to keep track of his super creative players. They all basically want to rule the universe, and he wants to keep some semblance of order and balance in the game. Consider that the GM will probably be looking for a framework to build his very realistic and cool world upon. A world with a high percentage of normal people, a few extraordinary people, and a lot of interesting magic or technology. When the players ask him some basic questions such as: how far can I move? How far can I see? How much ground can I cover in a day? What happens if I don’t sleep for 89 hours?—you want to have some simple answers ready for him. Simple, accurate, to the point, and relatively realistic. How much can they carry? How much magic can they have on them? What happens if they hit the guy for two zillion points of damage?
The more awesome something seems to put in the game, the more careful you should be with it. Your game could have: a load of magic, super combat abilities, or martial arts which can let people smash through concrete. Yes, it’s all cool. Yes, you can still put it in. However, if someone very practical was to play the game, what would they think? “Yes, that’s possible and cool,” or, “There’s no way that could ever work.” I like to aim for realistic in general, with the possibility of rare and powerful craziness. You could try to keep all abilities between every-day to the absolute best professionals with something extra. The little bit extra could be luck, magic, fate, or something inexplicable. Some people may not agree with it, but most will accept it. After all, most people who play RPGs are looking for a little extra—something out of the ordinary. People like to play those special characters who can go the extra mile, do a little more, and make people gape in awe as they pull off the unexpected miracle. Making those special moments everyday would mess up the game, but excluding them completely would ruin it.

Consider the differences between The Lord of the Rings, Dragon Ball Z, and the Matrix. None of those settings are necessarily good or bad, but they all have a different tone, a different reality, and a different level of realism. Chances are, the GMs of your game system will be even more varied than those three. The main point is to allow the players to maintain a milieu with some semblance of reality, whatever that milieu is. Obviously, your game system can’t do everything, but if you take even minor considerations of reality into account, the players of your game will thank you for it. Even such things rules on drowning, fatigue, and falling can help no ends. They don’t have to be totally accurate, but the mere fact that they’re there can take a lot of work off the GM’s shoulders. Go for guidelines, not hard and fast rules. That’s just one more reason templates are so popular nowadays. They let you do what ‘you’ want with them. Good game designs are often something like that—a template. You can do what you want with them.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I just read the title for this thread and I think it's a mistake ever to put realism "vs." fun. The whole game design is about fun, including any and all efforts to make it realistic.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I just read the title for this thread and I think it's a mistake ever to put realism "vs." fun. The whole game design is about fun, including any and all efforts to make it realistic.
Only replying because XP comments aren't still visible, and I'll be quoting with my XP comments from now on (unless they become visible). I said "Totally agree."

EP

First Post

I agree with the title (in that the title is meant to be eye-catching and grab your attention, but also the intention of the article). Yes, the game is meant to be fun, but there is such a thing as too much fun. I interpret the author's definition of "fun" as goofy hijinks where players are the definition of awesome and have very little to fear, versus the other extreme of being hardcore realistic where a PC can drop with just one bullet. And in that case, there is an incredibly fine line.

It's about suspension of disbelief during play and just reading a book or watching a movie and not getting involved or interested in the story because of plot holes or what have you, it affects your enjoyment of playing. For example, WAAAAAY back in high school, I played AD&D with a group of 7th-level whatevers and they dropped an ancient red dragon in one round. Not because they cheated in the rules, but because these players didn't get caught up in the particulars and meta-gamed their way through the battle. While they found it an awesome victory, I was disappointed. It was my first time in a fight with a dragon of any kind and it was over before I had a chance to take my turn. That was not fun and so I wasn't involved in the game. If it was that easy to bring down a dragon, what was the big deal about? Yet the other players thought it was great fun because they were awesome... in their eyes.

On the other hand, too much realism and players tend to become restricted in actions due to literal translations of the rules or become bogged down in technical matters. If your game stops because you need to find out if the dragon's breath weapon can wear down stone, it may apply for this category.

It's a delicate balancing act. The end result is fun, yes, but you have to draw from each side to create your own balancing act. That's what I took from this.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I agree with the title (in that the title is meant to be eye-catching and grab your attention, but also the intention of the article). Yes, the game is meant to be fun, but there is such a thing as too much fun. I interpret the author's definition of "fun" as goofy hijinks where players are the definition of awesome and have very little to fear, versus the other extreme of being hardcore realistic where a PC can drop with just one bullet. And in that case, there is an incredibly fine line.

It's about suspension of disbelief during play and just reading a book or watching a movie and not getting involved or interested in the story because of plot holes or what have you, it affects your enjoyment of playing. For example, WAAAAAY back in high school, I played AD&D with a group of 7th-level whatevers and they dropped an ancient red dragon in one round. Not because they cheated in the rules, but because these players didn't get caught up in the particulars and meta-gamed their way through the battle. While they found it an awesome victory, I was disappointed. It was my first time in a fight with a dragon of any kind and it was over before I had a chance to take my turn. That was not fun and so I wasn't involved in the game. If it was that easy to bring down a dragon, what was the big deal about? Yet the other players thought it was great fun because they were awesome... in their eyes.

On the other hand, too much realism and players tend to become restricted in actions due to literal translations of the rules or become bogged down in technical matters. If your game stops because you need to find out if the dragon's breath weapon can wear down stone, it may apply for this category.

It's a delicate balancing act. The end result is fun, yes, but you have to draw from each side to create your own balancing act. That's what I took from this.

Point taken.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Overall, a very good article. Hitting the sweet spot for realism is a really important design goal in RPG design. Thanks for sharing your insights.

I do have a couple of small quibbles.

Verisimilitude is generally a better word than realism as it encompasses a greater area of design. E.g., the design goal of Toon is certainly not realism, but it is fidelity to its source material.

As others mentioned, "fun" isn't quite the right word, though I certainly understood what you were talking about. There's a tension between realism and creative play, simplicity, rules completeness, and speed of play which affects fun for many people.

Finally, a point that wasn't addressed is that players have very different preferences when it comes to realism vs creative play, simplicity, rules completeness, speed of play, etc. There are people that really enjoy Harn and GURPS, which I consider relatively realistic, there are people who enjoy TOON and Paranoia, entirely at the opposite end of the spectrum, and there are people whose preferences are in between. A game designer should keep their chosen target audience in mind when making the necessary compromises between realism and other aspects of enjoyable play.

Personally, I strongly prefer realistic games. (Not just games with verisimilitude.) I like the rules to define the fantastic elements of a game, and for the rest, ideally, I shouldn't have to know the rules at all. I should be able to use my knowledge of how things work IRL to make optimal choices in-game. This speeds things up immensely and makes a game feel like it has depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

steenan

Adventurer
I'm afraid I don't agree with the title, neither in total nor in parts. And, thus, also with most of the article.

There is no point in designing a game to be unfun. Everything that gets in the way of fun is an issue to be solved. But there are many different types of fun that players may pursue - and some of them mutually exclusive.
There is fun in emulating a genre of books or movies. There is fun in exploring fantastic worlds. There is fun in making hard choices and facing the consequences. There is fun in planning and plotting. There is fun in acting out scenes. There is fun in tactical combat. And so on...

"Realism" is a very narrow design goal. Not just because of the level of complexity it brings (realistic system can be as abstract or as complex as a non-realistic one), but because true realism is something few people want in a game. And what is perceived as "realistic" vary widely between people - it's based mostly on books and movies, as most of us don't face any real dangers in real life.

Finally, realism and fun are not in opposition. Both realistic and non-realistic games can be fun, and the amount of fun they offer doesn't correlate with amount of realism. Having a clear vision of what the game intends to do, clearly communicating it to readers and supporting the theme with mechanics is what matters.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
C'mon guys. "Fun" certainly was not the ride word, but it's pretty easy to tell what he was talking about. There are plenty of design criteria important to "fun" that are at odds with realism. It's an interesting topic. How about we discuss it rather than hucking rocks at how the OP constructed his argument.

A good parallel here might be with writing science fiction; on one hand we have "hard" science fiction whose goal is to be very realistic. On the other hand there are ... well, quite a lot of other hands I guess. But I'm thinking of E.E. "Doc" Smioth style Space Opera, where the goal is "sense of wonder".

Maybe that might be a better dichotomy: realism vs. wonder. More of both is good, but at some point, they do collide to a degree.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases