Finally, a reason to dig out old character sheets!

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Recently, I have touched up a campaign that I ran several years back with a group of my friends. That game? Tournament Grounds. Though presented as compatible with pathfinder, it wouldn't be hard to convert to any system.

While not totally 100% finished, it is at a usable place now, and I certainly have more detail on specifics I could add if it gets picked up/wins.

Tournament Grounds is a game where you can take old characters from previous campaigns (living, dead, otherwise, all apply). Those characters have been specially selected (and in some cases resurrected) to participate in a tournament hosted by the gods of the multiverse.

Worlds collide as any GM with reasonable experience in hosting games of different genres (and sometimes even different systems) can host characters from fantasy, modern, or even futuristic games with minimal updates. Do you have a space-faring hero from a distant galaxy in the past? With a few touches here and there, you can recreate him and use him here.

Mind you, this is not a game for new players. It was written with veteran GMs and players in mind. In our game, we didn't even bother changing character sheets to have them all match 1-for-1. That's the best part of tournament grounds, because it allows the GM to adjucate on where rules apply and how they affect characters across games.

So please, download Tournament Grounds here. Check it out, then please consider voting for it on Morrus' 7 day RPG contest.

Thank you,

Some basics we used when playing; and things I could potentially include in a finished version.
We had characters with wound and vitality. Hits against those characters took away from their vitality first, then their wound. Crits struck wound directly. 0 wound and you're out.

We also had characters who were built in d10 "dot" systems. For those, we judged the relative value of dots (using Strength as a universal translator). Damage was figured with different steps in mind and crits were always the highest stage of damage.

Finally, I also pulled several world-related NPCs from various games to add to the fun. While I didn't use these specifically, characters like Gandalf, Riddick, or Neo from Matrix could certainly appear if a GM is inclined to put a touch of effort into adding them.

Remove ads