Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I am going to buck the trend here and say I am not impressed. For one thing, bringing Coleson back strips his death of any meaning aside from a bad joke and cliche. Further, all the other characters are just tropes (father figure, hardass, nerd guy, rebel without a clue, Da Black Guy, Etc.). This is gonna be a paint by the numbers show.

Garick83

First Post
While I'm sure the show will be fun for a while, this seems to fit into the growing trend of whatever disney owns, get put into as many markets as fast as possible. Disney princesses, Once Upon a Time, Marvel movies (Those movies I'm proud of.) I bet the show will be a bridge gapper from movie to movie. As for Coleson, don't alot of members of S.H.I.E.L.D tend to live forever, and come back from the dead regularly. Fury, Dum Dum Dugan....Who knows maybe it will be good, maybe not, only time will tell....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Further, all the other characters are just tropes (father figure, hardass, nerd guy, rebel without a clue, Da Black Guy, Etc.). This is gonna be a paint by the numbers show.

You figure that somehow, at this stage, you're going to have a deep understanding of the characters and their motivations? Before the show has ever aired?

Of course they're stated as tropes, right now. Each character has been given a couple of sentences of description, total! How deep do you figure they can get at this point?

If, when you actually see it, the show has little character depth or development, then you've got cause to gripe. But when they're still at the trailer stage, I think this is a poorly supported criticism - kind of like a kid saying, "I won't like it!!!1!" before even trying a bite of it off the plate.

Nytmare

David Jose
Further, all the other characters are just tropes (father figure, hardass, nerd guy, rebel without a clue, Da Black Guy, Etc.).

Isn't that true of pretty much every story ever told? Characters usually only get interesting once they grow beyond the archetypes. Plus, at this point, I'd kinda rather have a TV show full of ankle deep characters expanding the Marvel Universe than no TV show. If it stinks, I can ignore it, but at this point I don't have anything to fill that Super Hero sized hole in my heart.

...before even trying a bite of it off the plate.

I am perfectly aware you are a moderator and defiant will justifiably get me banned, but please do not address me in such a patronizing and condescending manner again. I am not a child and attempts to coerce me as would would coerce a child are simply insulting.

I do not need to eat bland and unappealing food to know it is unappealing and bland. Even if I were to watch it, I would only be accused of "never giving it a chance," and that would be held against me.

The program need not be ground breaking, but the trailer makes the pilot look predictable to the point of boredom. I am uninterested. And mildly offended by the subtext show so far.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Fodder and C-listers with a made for TV budget. I have to admit that is preferable to heavy hitters with a made for TV budget. If the show mows through characters like the Paranoia RPG this might even be interesting.

But I'd be a lot more interested if Agent Coulson was the main character. It is a comic book universe, I'll accept Coulson being back. The new young agent for the 18-24 male audience to identify with main character does REEK of formulaic slavery to by the numbers media manufacturing.

Kaodi

Hero
I have seen The Avengers twice and both times to me it seemed that all they meant was that Fury had massaged the truth by splattering Coulson's cards with blood (probably Coulson's actual blood) in order to give his death the extra punch to get Steve Rogers going. Never occurred to me that they might have meant Coulson was not dead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. teaser

I have seen The Avengers twice and both times to me it seemed that all they meant was that Fury had massaged the truth by splattering Coulson's cards with blood (probably Coulson's actual blood) in order to give his death the extra punch to get Steve Rogers going. Never occurred to me that they might have meant Coulson was not dead.

It was just a deliberate window left because Whedon was obviously in negotiations over the TV show at the time. That scene allowed them to go either way. It was a hint, not a statement, and deliberately so - they didn't mean to state anything openly.

Janx

Hero
Isn't that true of pretty much every story ever told? Characters usually only get interesting once they grow beyond the archetypes. Plus, at this point, I'd kinda rather have a TV show full of ankle deep characters expanding the Marvel Universe than no TV show. If it stinks, I can ignore it, but at this point I don't have anything to fill that Super Hero sized hole in my heart.

I concur. If you like chocolate, and all there is available is Hershey bars, then you might as well have some of those, because there ain't nothing else.

Or you can be an extremist and go without because it ain't good enough for your evolved tastes. But people like that just end up with a hand full of crap because their wishing hand don't ever pay off.

Remove ads