A Bird's Eye View (or) You Won't Believe Your Eyes (or) A Sight For Sore Eyes (or) ...

Nagol

Unimportant
Seeing UV used to be common with the adoption of clear plastic lens replacements in the '70s. It's pretty bad for your retina though so they tinged the lenses yellow to block the UV.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's pretty bad for your retina though...

I daresay. Being outside in UV all day gives you a sunburn on exposed skin. So, imagine what's happening to the back of your eyeball!

so they tinged the lenses yellow to block the UV.

Technically, they tinged the lens to block UV. The result is that it absorbs in the upper spectrum (up around blue), so that what light passes through it appears a bit yellow to us (see the color chart in the article).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back in the late 1980s, I actually had a pair of dark blue sunglasses that radically changed the way certain things looked, like flowers. In particular, I member a bed of dark red flowers near one building that, through those lenses, looked bright, almost glowing red.

In the light *ahem* of the article, I wonder if they were showing me some UV images...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The lens of the human eye filters out UV, and simple static lenses do not change the wavelength of incoming light - so they can't downshift UV into some visible area you can see, for example.

Now, that's not to say that those lenses didn't make the flowers look different - but they could only do so be *removing* light, not by adding it or shifting it.

So, for example, you may have seen advertised on TV some amber-colored sunglasses that reduce glare. This is a real phenomenon. Short wavelength light scatters more off the dust in our atmosphere, producing what we call glare. Filter out that short wavelength stuff (the blues and purples), and you can get a sharper image. It is rather like there can be a fuzzy image overlaying that you can remove.

Your blue glasses might have done something like the reverse.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That does make more sense...

I wish I still had those funky things, but they died: the lenses were glass, and not of the high-impact variety. One day, they got knocked off my face and hit stone...

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I just had my second cataract lens replacement surgery. I have not noticed any thing yet, but I have been only looking through one good eye for 4 years, and had cataracts for about 3 to 5 years before that.

maybe I need to pay more attention here......

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have been thinking on this.

The only way one could see any in the UV band with those lens inserts is if the acrylic insert did not get the uv filtering like it was supposed to,

Kaodi

Hero
Even if you had some kind of colour-representation of UV light, would it really be "seeing" UV in the traditional sense? The surgery is not changing the visual abilities of the rods and cones, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases