Games In A Museum?

Is Dungeons & Dragons a work of art? How about Dogs in the Vineyard? Or Call of Cthulu? Or Marvel Heroic Roleplaying? Going further, what about a game like Settlers of Cattan? Ticket to Ride? Sorry? What about poker, or baseball, or table tennis? Do games belong in museums? Can rolling a d20 and critting a gnoll be socially relevant?

Clearly, I’m speaking to fans, here, so I’m likely to get a certain kind of response, one couched in a full awareness of the potential awesomeness, and potential limitations, of a game.

On the face of it, the idea seems kind of absurd. Sticking the cover of 1e Deities & Demigods next to DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man seems…dissonant, if nothing else. But games have made appearances in museums before.

[video=youtube;YzGjO5aHShQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YzGjO5aHShQ[/video]

The distinction Paola Antonelli makes in the video above between design (specifically interaction design) and art isn’t an empty one. A gun as a work of art comments on guns and what they mean and symbolize. A gun as a work of design is simply an elegant machine for killing. Chairs, cars, dresses, hats, and airplanes can be exhibitions of fantastic design, but they aren’t necessarily exhibits of amazing art.

The videogames in MoMA’s collection were determined to be great examples of interaction design, that is, the interface between a person and a mechanism (in this case, the code). The MoMA staff selected videogames to point out the artistry and intent behind creating a code so that a person wants to interact with it, to play with it, simply for the joy of interacting with it. A machine whose purpose is only to be used for the amusement of the user, an interaction that is pleasurable in and of itself, represents a tremendous mastery of interaction design.

It should be fairly obvious now that videogames contain elements of this design that rule out games that don’t use visual media so heavily. D&D is never going to be an example of a great interface between a human and a mechanism, because the mechanism at the heart of D&D – at the heart of any tabletop RPG – is the other humans. A videogame’s code is applied with ruthless logic, but a board game’s rules are subject to interpretation and alteration, and an RPG’s rules are at best nebulous suggestions.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that tabletop RPG’s can’t be great examples of other kinds of design. Like any chair or airplane or gun, they have their own requirements and their own methodology, something that certain communities and individuals have become very interested in developing over recent years. The Forge might have a lot of spurious theory and

In fact, the four major criteria Paola and her team used to break down whether or not a videogame was appropriate for the MoMA collection can be extraordinarily useful as a way for thinking about what our tabletop RPGs do, as design objects. They look different in our different media, but these elements are here in our games, too.

Aesthetics
A videogame wears its aesthetics on its sleeve. From Yar’s Revenge to flOw to Katamari Damacy, a videogame’s appearance is key to its function as an entertainment – video is right there in the name, folks.

For our tabletop games, we can see the aesthetics most blatantly in the game’s artwork. Setting a mood, depicting characters and threats, and presenting the world of the game are all done through the artwork.

That’s arguably one of the most minor points of aesthetics in our games, however.

The design of the book overall features into this: is it a manual? A reference tome? A novel? What’s it look like, and what does that look tell us about what it’s meant to do?

Beyond the books, we get into things like arts, dice, peripherals, minis, and other fobs. Part of the aesthetics of 4e D&D is the battlemat and the minis; part of the aesthetics of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is the cards and the charts, part of the aesthetics of Deadlands are the poker cards, part of the aesthetics of Dread is the Jenga tower. The art of a warrior facing a vampire is good, but using a Jenga tower to model the rising tension of horror? That is utterly brilliant aesthetic design.

Space
Space, in a videogame, is manifested as virtual space, the area through which you move your avatar and the architecture it inhabits.

In a tabletop RPG, space can be thought of similarly: it’s the places your character can go, and the choices your character has and the experience of moving through those spaces. However, in a tabletop RPG, the experience isn’t so much architectural as it is behavioral.

The classic representation of avatar space in a tabletop RPG is the dungeon – your avatar makes choices about where to go, and encounters challenges in those places and along the way (keyed and random encounters, traps, etc.). The hexmap and battlegrid also fall into this category: they represent space in the game-world, and help define where your character can go, and what they experience as they go from point to point.

Another representation of space is something like FATE’s zones, which correspond to narrative conventions and ease of storytelling rather than precise spatial relationships.

But space is also represented through things like quest trees, dialogue options, or relationship diagrams, too. And through the design of the narrative itself. The player moves through these elements, one to another, changing as they do. It’s part of why railroading is seen as such an onerous problem: it is a blank corridor on a moving sidewalk. Good spatial design moves you through the world and through the narrative in an engaging way, a way that enhances the overall experience.

Time
Paola’s talk references videogames that take 5 minutes, and videogames that take years, and videogames that are essentially never-ending. There are games that are meant for short periods of stimulation, and games meant for longer periods of contemplation. A game with strong design principles knows how long it takes, and uses that to its advantage.

Tabletop RPGs have struggled with this a bit over the years. Due to the nature of the medium as intensely local, tabletop games have typically left the answer to “how long do you play for?” open to individual interpretation.

However, this isn’t universal. A game like Fiasco is explicitly designed to be experienced in its entirety in a few hours. A game like 4e D&D? If you want to see all 30 levels, it’s asking for something like two years.

5e D&D seems to be looking at this, judging from its fast combats and stated “38-sessions to go 1-20” intent. If so, it is designing for a certain time frame.

You can also find attention to this dimension in how the characters in the game experience time. The characters in The One Ring have a very specific yearly rhythm to their missions, and a context to undertake those missions with a definite chronological start and end point. This contrasts in feel with, say, 3e D&D characters, which are often up to full after each encounter, if someone remembered to bring the curing wand, and straight on to the next challenge until the spells run out.

Taking time into account in your design means not leaving it up to chance or intuition. If your game deliberately designs its timescale, your players will be guided along their experience as firmly as the players of Passage.

Behavior
In a videogame, behavior is the reaction of the code to the player’s input, how it acts when you press a given button or spin a little marble.

In our tabletop world, the best way to think about behavior is in terms of mechanics. What do our players seek by playing our game, what happens when they choose to perform a particular task, and how does that event play into the overall design of the thing?

Think about something like the sanity mechanics in Call of Cthulu as coding for behavior. A PC knows they will risk losing sanity when they undertake missions, and running out of sanity will result in dire consequences, so they carefully investigate and research and prepare, always nervous about what might lie underneath. The players’ behavior is cautious and strategic, which is the kind of behavior the genre would expect out of the characters the players are playing as. The rules reinforce this behavior.

Or think about the milestone mechanic in 4e, and how it exists in tension with the attrition of healing surges. Pushing forward despite overwhelming odds is rewarded, and this is how a heroic fantasy character likely would act, as well. The behavior of being in-character is rewarded.

Every DM’s a Designer
The lens of “interaction design” is a useful one to look at our games through, tabletop or otherwise. If we look at how each of these four criteria are designed for in our favorite games – if we see what areas our games do well, what areas our games fail on, and what other games might succeed in these areas – we can develop games with overall better, tighter, more coherent design, and, ultimately, more fun games. Whether they end up in a museum or not, that’s a result that I think is worth getting toward.

For our own tables, we can look at examples of games that do one of these four things very well, and perhaps weld them together into our own version of the Franken-game.

So you tell me: what’s your favorite bit of game design in the games you’ve played relating to one of those four measurements? What games have had good aesthetics, time, space, and behavior? How did they achieve that? And how might the rest of us steal a bit from those games for our own?

Let me know down in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

delericho

Legend
Do games belong in museums?

Of course not. Games are meant to be played. This isn't the Ark of the Covenant that we're talking about here!

:)

Seriously, though, if Glasgow's Transport Museum can contain a bunch of Star Wars toys, and a bunch of Transformers, and a ZX-81; and if old stately homes can preserve the libraries than their owners once collected and put those on display; and if Banburgh Castle can have a feature about games that children might have played a couple of hundred years ago, I see absolutely no reason why something like D&D shouldn't be preserved in exactly the same way.

And yes, those are all real-world examples I've visited in the last year. (Except the Ark of the Covenant. Sadly, my dreams of becoming Indiana Jones are no closer to fruition.)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
In my days as a literature and creative writing grad student, I had some classes in what they called "cultural studies" -- a strand of literary study that looks at, among other things, popular books (dime novels, pulp adventures, genre fiction, graphic novels) with the same sorts of literary consideration that would be given to the grand works of literature.

A work was considered "good" if it could reveal something interesting under that sort of lens.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same sort of study of game design. But I also think there are a lot of different arts that we are talking about.

Game design, to me, is closer to playwriting or musical composition. The game designer creates a blueprint -- the composition, the script, etc. But then each individual group -- DM and players -- make their own performance, their own interpretation of the plan laid out in the blueprint.

If we stick with the musical analogy, the game designer is the composer, the DM is the conductor, and the players are the individual musicians. Some conductors make arrangements of the original composition for their particular group -- minor changes to adjust for the strengths and weaknesses of the ensemble, etc -- in the same way that DMs often make large or small adjustments to the adventure or game created by the Game Designer to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the game group.

And I think that's a key differences in comparing RPGs and Video Games. There's very little room for reinterpretation when you play a video game. The creative process is not so mutable and collaborative.

-rg

Shayuri

First Post
Roleplaying games are interesting...they're as much performance art as anything else. But if they can put scripts for plays and movies in a museum, I don't see why a really good RPG rulebook can't be. Both are pieces of design that inform performance art. Both are creative exercises that reveal the author and the participants. Both can make statements, evoke emotions, and so on.

A roleplaying game is performance art, but not JUST performance art. There is an interaction between the written work and the people who execute the performance. In that interaction, the potential for art exists.

Mike Eagling

Explorer
Seriously, though, if Glasgow's Transport Museum can contain a bunch of Star Wars toys, and a bunch of Transformers, and a ZX-81; and if old stately homes can preserve the libraries than their owners once collected and put those on display; and if Banburgh Castle can have a feature about games that children might have played a couple of hundred years ago, I see absolutely no reason why something like D&D shouldn't be preserved in exactly the same way.
I'm reminded here of The Cumberland Pencil Museum, which isn't as ridiculous as it sounds...

If we stick with the musical analogy, the game designer is the composer, the DM is the conductor, and the players are the individual musicians. Some conductors make arrangements of the original composition for their particular group -- minor changes to adjust for the strengths and weaknesses of the ensemble, etc -- in the same way that DMs often make large or small adjustments to the adventure or game created by the Game Designer to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the game group.
I'd never really thought about it from that perspective before. That's a really good analogy :)

Seeing as how RPGs are part of social history they certainly deserve to be preserved somewhere along the line.

It's entirely possible to view RPGs as works of art. I recently bought a hard copy of Lamentations of the Flame Princess primarily as such. I doubt I'll ever play the game itself but as a set of objects it's simply beautiful. Grisly--and in many ways awful--but nonetheless a "thing" I wanted to own. If I could afford the exorbitant postage I'd do the same with Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea too.

Razjah

Explorer
I like [MENTION=150]Radiating Gnome[/MENTION]'s analogy to music compositions. I think table top games, of many different types, could be in museums.

A history of board game development in various countries could easily exist along side some video game displays in a museum. They are a part of our culture, and to look back on a time while intentionally omitting known activities seems odd. We already have dice in museums, or at least reporting of finding ancient dice for various games in the world. Isn't this just an evolution of that?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Do games belong in museums? Can rolling a d20 and critting a gnoll be socially relevant?

Note that you are asking two different questions here. One is about whether the game product is a work of art. The other is whether the act of playing the game can constitute a work of art.

Can a copy of the DMG be a work of art? Sure, I suppose. As much as any other physical object could be. Can the content be a work of art? Similarly, sure.

But really, the game is not the book. The game is the playing. Can the game play be art?

Well, it doesn't have to be. I would be hard pressed to consider the play of a tactical game to be 'art'. A particular round of Advanced Squad Leader is unlikely to communicate anything of social or emotional importance to the players or any audience. But, a game that explores not only the tactical issues, but also explores the personalities, societies, and emotional states of the characters, could well be a performance art. It is a slow performance, admittedly, but still qualifies.

Before anyone comes down on me with, "Don't put your highfalutin 'art' in my game!" note that I think everyday people commit acts of artistry on a daily basis. It doesn't have to be the Mona Lisa, or Royal Shakespeare Company, to be art.

Mallus

Legend
A work was considered "good" if it could reveal something interesting under that sort of lens.
Everything can be considered to be a "text". And every "text" can be subjected to critical analysis. My favorite David Foster Wallace essay does a close reading of stuff including an episode of old hospital drama St. Elsewhere and the Joe Isuzu car commercials -- I *think* the essay's called "E Unibus Pluram".

If we stick with the musical analogy, the game designer is the composer, the DM is the conductor, and the players are the individual musicians.
I'd say the game designer is person who made the instruments. The DM and players are the rest, who do some surprising things to said instruments when left to their own devices.

There's very little room for reinterpretation when you play a video game. The creative process is not so mutable and collaborative.
What about builder-sim games where the rewards are largely aesthetic -- Sim City, Minecraft, or even wargame-y ones like Civilization? Or RPG's which allow the player to shape the identity of the protagonist --like Mass Effect, where a big part of the game involves *who* the protagonist is, ie what kind of person and what kind of relationships they have?

Note that you are asking two different questions here. One is about whether the game product is a work of art. The other is whether the act of playing the game can constitute a work of art.
This is an important distinction. I think the answer, in the case of both pen-and-paper RPGs and video games is: yes (sometimes... well, at least it's not a categorical "no").

Can the game play be art?
Sure! My gaming sessions are art. Specifically, improv theater (or absurdist sketch comedy). Bad art, to be sure. But the term carries no inherent judgment regarding quality.

I would be hard pressed to consider the play of a tactical game to be 'art'.
For me, *this* is the most interesting question. Are rules & mechanics art? It's easy to see how a chess set with beautifully carved pieces are be art object -- in fact I own a reproduction of the Karim Rashid chess set that's in the Philadelphia Museum of Art's collection.

But is *chess* itself --the rules of the game-- art? Are some algorithms art? I used to think the question was, well, nutty. Now I'm not so sure. I've seen/played with interactive artworks in fine art museums that differ from certain kinds of software-toy video games only in their respective media. I've spoken with my wife about the process-focused abstract paintings she did in the 90s, which were essentially paintings of algorithms -- heck, I could probably code them.

Anything can be art these days (or so critics like Arthur C. Danto say). Been that way since the 60s (70s?). Why not formal rule structures/games?

(note -- I'm not sure I entirely *believe* this, but my internal arguments against this idea keep getting weaker).

... I think everyday people commit acts of artistry on a daily basis. It doesn't have to be the Mona Lisa, or Royal Shakespeare Company, to be art.
This can't be stressed enough. Bad art is art. "Art" isn't a statement of worth/quality -- it's a super-broad category for a certain kind of human-made artifacts (including information/non-physical ones).

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Well, it doesn't have to be. I would be hard pressed to consider the play of a tactical game to be 'art'. A particular round of Advanced Squad Leader is unlikely to communicate anything of social or emotional importance to the players or any audience. But, a game that explores not only the tactical issues, but also explores the personalities, societies, and emotional states of the characters, could well be a performance art. It is a slow performance, admittedly, but still qualifies.

Before anyone comes down on me with, "Don't put your highfalutin 'art' in my game!" note that I think everyday people commit acts of artistry on a daily basis. It doesn't have to be the Mona Lisa, or Royal Shakespeare Company, to be art.

I think it's important to remember that art does not require an audience to be art -- and need not appeal to an audience. Especially an audience contemporary with the creator.

AND art doesn't have to be saying something socially significant. When the art is about a message it's really propaganda, not art. Of course, we can draw cultural insights out of games, but if the author's primary intent is to deliver a message, it's propaganda.

Back to old, imperfect grad school memories. Talking about writing -- there was a progression they talked about with writing. Four levels of writing:
1- Writing for expression. Just writing to get your ideas and feelings out.
2- Writing to inform -- explaining an event, a concept -- news, etc.
3- Writing to persuade -- essentially propaganda or writing to change people's minds
4- Writing for the sake of writing -- literature. Writing whose primary intent is a self-conscious effort to write well.

Obviously, most pieces of writing have some elements of multiple levels -- and the idea of the breakdown is sort of artificial -- but it's an interesting rubric I think about in these sorts of conversations. It's especially interesting at that top level -- what does it really mean to be writing for the sake of writing?

As I understand it, it's the stage at which the writer is paying attention not just to what he or she writes about, but the way he does it -- and that could be expressive, informative, or persuasive writing, but the writer's efforts is not just to get the words down, but to do it as well as he or she can.

How would that translate into a game design context? MAYBE something like this:

1- Game design to create competition
2- Game design to create simulation
3- Game design to create narrative
4- Game design to create good games

There's tons of room to quibble in there -- and I'm not even sure I like that final list.

The real point of all of this crap is just to say that I think something goes from utility to art when the focus shifts from "doing it" to "doing it artfully" -- where "artfully" includes both ideas of craft and innovation.

-rg

Mike Eagling

Explorer
Well, it doesn't have to be [art]. I would be hard pressed to consider the play of a tactical game to be 'art'. A particular round of Advanced Squad Leader is unlikely to communicate anything of social or emotional importance to the players or any audience. But, a game that explores not only the tactical issues, but also explores the personalities, societies, and emotional states of the characters, could well be a performance art. It is a slow performance, admittedly, but still qualifies.

Given that the TED talk video emphasised the difference between 'Art' and 'Design' it would be interesting (to me, at least!) to discuss design in RPGs too. Discounting for the moment the possibly semantic differences between wargames and RPGs, ASL could* be considered a good design of tactical combat. Dungeons & Dragons must surely be considered "good design" if, for no other reason, it was innovative and has spawned a host of imitators. I'd also argue Fudge or FATE might deserve a place in my hypothetical MoMA RPG Design exhibition too because it explicitly throws out much of the complexity in favour of a more narrative system. I'm sure there are many, many more.

At the risk of this being a can of edition-war worms exploding in my face, does any one have any other suggestions?

In an effort to defuse that can: I guess what I'm really requesting here are people's nominations for RPG systems that introduced a novel idea rather than just "I like/hate System X".

*I've never played it, so cannot really comment.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases