ZEITGEIST First time running of Zeitgeist

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Hi All

Its my turn to DM for our 4e group, and they are wanting to try something a little different from the standard 'lotr' style fantasy, so seeing the reviews of Zeitgeist, I thought i'd give it a blast through

So as a DM of limited experience, what tips do people have? are there any gotcha's i should be wary of?

I read a review that mention that adventure 2 (skyseer) is difficult to run, due to its open ended nature, is this peoples experience?

Thanks for any advice, i hope i can do justice to what sounds an awesome campaign

vvZODvv

Villager
I'm tagging along for the ride because I'm interested in people's input too. My group has made PCs but we haven't started the campaign yet. I've read through the first adventure and like it. I'm curious: are the other adventures are a little more sandboxy? My group likes a healthy middle ground between a strong story and multiple paths to success.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
This is a very challenging adventure path, but that shouldn't deter you. If you plan ahead and above all, are prepared to improvise and throw your carefully and lovingly crafted plans out of the window when necessary, you should be okay.

Just be sure that your players are going into this with their eyes open too. It is very non-traditional and works best if the players are not only willing but enthusiastic about being RHC officers: It's more fun - I think - if they are trying to play by the rules and feel duty-bound to some degree instead of being a bunch of hired thugs/mercenaries who are straining at their bonds (ie. don't really like the approach of the campaign to begin with).

Read some of the campaign journals posted on these boards too. There aren't many groups who are ahead of mine right now, but I found it invaluable when there were. It also helps to have the storyline mapped out in your head so you can deliver it without consulting the text too much.

Also: practice differentiating your NPCs and prepare to remind your players early and often of key names/faces so they don't get lost. Use the illustrations provided and give each one a different accent, voice or quirk. There are alot of NPCs in Zeitgeist and as this is an investigation it helps if the players can remember them!

d2OKC

Explorer
Keep careful notes. Especially during Skyseer, there are a lot of different things that can happen, and keeping records will help a ton.

The best thing is to follow gideonpepys advice, and read the other campaign logs. These are invaluable to learn how different encounters can be, and to understand how the storyline is likely (but not guaranteed!) to unfold.

Ask a lot of questions here, too! This is a really great resource for a Zeitgeist DM, and we're all willing to help!

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Thanks for the replies! Just a quick question, I'm planning on running this on 4e, because as a DM I'm put off the prep work for Pathfinder campaigns, however hows does this path run through PF, reading over the intro material I wonder if its a more natural PF fit?

jacktannery

Explorer
My understanding is that the War of the Burning Sun pth is a better pathfinder fit (the 4E version is a bit forced in places - I read that on these forums) but the Zeitgeist path is perfect 100% for 4E, (and perhaps is not 100% perfectly ported to pathfinder?). In any case the first adventure is so good that it will be brilliant in any edition I think.

al_fredo

First Post
I've never played PF, but running ZG in 4e with no issues. Thumbs up to the adventure path. Read the first adventure...and see the great work by people detailing their campaigns (esp. Jacktannery!)

jacktannery

Explorer
... (esp. Jacktannery!)

You have got to be kidding me. I've read ALL the threads where GMs detail their campaigns and mine is by FAR the worst and crappest of them all, multiplied by a million. I've tried to upload pictures to make up for it, for goodness sake.

EDIT: My thread even has by far the worst name.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I'm curious: are the other adventures are a little more sandboxy? My group likes a healthy middle ground between a strong story and multiple paths to success.

I would say they are about as sandboxy as an investigative campaign can be. Certainly, judging by alot of journals, some groups take a very unorthodox approach. I would say the second adventure is the most flexible. As several months pass between each installment (both in the adventure and in real-time) I supplement the campaign with extended buffer adventures, and have allowed my players to develop extensive side-plots and interests for their characters.

Thanks for the replies! Just a quick question, I'm planning on running this on 4e, because as a DM I'm put off the prep work for Pathfinder campaigns, however hows does this path run through PF, reading over the intro material I wonder if its a more natural PF fit?

IMHO the campaign works exceptionally well in 4e and for an inexperienced DM 4e is by far the best choice. The AP utilizes 4e mechanics very well, with every single encounter being a fabulous set-piece. (To the point where I often wish I could run them again having had a practice, as I often forget certain tactics or key elements in all the excitement.)

al_fredo

First Post
You have got to be kidding me. I've read ALL the threads where GMs detail their campaigns and mine is by FAR the worst and crappest of them all, multiplied by a million. I've tried to upload pictures to make up for it, for goodness sake.

EDIT: My thread even has by far the worst name.

Lol....hey you fixed the Coaltongue! Believe me...I'm dreading figuring out the Rainbow Room in Digging for Lies. My mind exploded.

FYI...you can change the title of the main post with an 'Advanced Edit' - which is what I do depending on where I'm at in the path/mission.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases