13th Age Goes to Press; Mongoose & Monte Tease Secrets; Ultimate Campaign downloads; plus ASK THE BA

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons News[/h]
  • D&D Cutter: Preview #3 -- Dungeons & Dragons: Cutter, written by R.A. and Geno Salvatore, weaves the tale of a family fiercely divided and at odds with itself, with a legendary sword hanging in the balance. This week, IDW has also provided the following preview of issue #3. Enjoy!
  • Living Traps by James Wyatt -- Dungeons have an ecology that contains some interesting creatures. Or are they traps? Or hazards? Today James looks at the trapper and the lurker above, the piercer and the darkmantle, the green slime, the shrieker, the ear seeker, the throat leech, the rot grub, and the brown and yellow mold. [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?337349-Wandering-Monsters-Living-Traps[/threadcm]
  • WotC has a t-shirt contest.

[h=3]Pathfinder RPG News[/h]

8655_544212385617711_71369862_n.jpg

[h=3]Roleplaying Games News[/h]
  • 13th Age Going to Press! Pelgrane Press reports - "You can never be 100% certain with printing, but all being well, 13th Age goes to press today." Read more here. I'm starting to think 13th Age might deserve its own news section (like D&D and Pathfinder have). What do you think?
  • Mongoose Publishing has a secret! "Just shook hands on a deal that will be good for all our RPGs. Announcement in the next few days, most like!"
  • So Does Monte Cook! "Monte Cook Games has a cool announcement coming tomorrow."
  • So Does Charles Ryan (former WotC Brand manager)! "Will I be announcing my triumphant return to the tabletop games industry soon? Hmm. Stay tuned!"
    • UPDATE - not a coincidence! Charles Ryan is the new Chief Operating Officer of Monte Cook Games. "Charles will be handling the entirety of the business aspect of MCG, freeing up Shanna and I to focus entirely on the creative end. He will handle everything from marketing and promotions, to working with our various licensees. From getting Numenera into more stores near you to handling foreign translations. And so much more." See below for the full press release!
  • Lake-town for The One Ring is available now in PDF format at RPGnow.
  • Bloodstone Press has recently released three new PDFs for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game - Ten Exotic Clubs, The Thaumaturgic Codex, and Handguns of WWII, which has already received a 5-star review.
  • Cubicle7 talks Rocket Age at RPGNet. "It's an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mar. It's exploring the deadly skies of Jupiter under the constant threat of Europan disintegration. It's RAY gun wielding heroes bulls-eyeing mutants in the blasted ruins of Io."
  • Catalyst Game Labs has announced an Origins 2013 Special Edition Shadowrun release. "As the Origins Game Fair kicks off the convention season during the Year of Shadowrun, Catalyst will release limited quantities of a Origins 2013 Special Edition printing of the soon-to-be-published Shadowrun, Fifth Edition. This softcover version exactly mirrors the final hardcover printing, with the exception of not featuring the two foldout sections of artwork nor the Shadowrun Online marketing code."
  • Check out this trailer for Eternal Lies! Eternal Lies is an epic campaign for Trail of Cthulhu, the tabletop RPG written by Will Hindmarch, Jeff Tidball and Jeremy Keller. Video by Mike Torr and James Semple, featuring the voice of Wil Wheaton, with music from the soundtrack album The Complete Eternal Lies Suite.

[video=youtube;QwJ8r6xsn8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QwJ8r6xsn8s#![/video]

[h=3]Ask the Bastard![/h]
A new edition of The Dungeon Bastard! This time - DM Advice! ("And you thought my PLAYER advice was unhelpful!!!" - Bill Cavalier.)

[video=youtube;1qBRQWlSrg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBRQWlSrg0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[h=3]Community News[/h]
  • The GSA has reviewed Cthulhutech. "What is CthulhuTech you ask? It’s the end result of what happens when you blend H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos with high-profile anime series such as Robotech , Neon Genesis Evangalion, Guyver, sprinkle in the works of Masamune Shirow, then decorate with some really great artwork."
  • Roleplayers Chronicle has reviewed the premium edition Spell Comendium reprint for D&D 3.5.
  • Critical Hits discusses D&D tactical play in Flank You Very Much. Flank You Very Much. Cuz Flank sounds like Thank. Geddit?
  • Gnome Stew talks random statistics. 3d6 in order.

[h=3]Boardgaming News[/h]
  • WizKids has previewed the Sauruman figure for the Fellowship of the Ring HeroClix line.
  • Fantasy Flight has announced the upcoming release of Second Thoughts, a new Datapack for Android: Netrunner. Second Thoughts promises to focus on control with the Bad Publicity mechanic seeing more use.

Last edited by a moderator:

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
1. I really like the news in it's own section. Very nice.
2. I don't think 13th Age has quite earned it's own news section. Yet.

vvZODvv

Villager
Our table is just now starting up a 13th Age campaign (of Zeitgeist :), so I follow it regularly. I don't know if it is producing enough news that its section would be on par with Pathfinder and D&D yet.

vvZODvv

Villager
Really? I'd love to hear more. What changes did you make?

The changes have been almost entirely a re-flavoring of 13th Age mechanics to fit the setting. Let's see off the top of my head:
* I changed the calendar to be particular Ages rather than specific years
* Swapped crossbows to be guns
*Re-skinned the paladin to be a champion of the state

The biggest change has been replacing the 13th Age Icons with the big movers and shakers of Lanjyr (King Aodhen, Han Jierre, etc). It is a bit academic at this point though, because as soon as we finished our PCs, one of our group bought a house, so our game will be delayed for another two to three weeks while he gets settled in!

I love the 13th Age though because it takes some of the creativity out of my hands and puts it in the players' hands - that means the story can surprise me too!

We have three Risuri and a Danoran in the party with the following Uniques:
*Paladin - I have known Gov. Stanfield my whole life and I am his most trusted confidant.
*Wizard - I witnessed the death of Srasama. (This is interesting because he isn't a Deva!)
* Fighter - I am the sole survivor of the only Danoran magical attack in the Yerasol Wars.
* I am the world's only true Skyseer.

These might play havoc with some of the module story lines, but that just makes it all the more fun for me! The players also came up with some awesome Icon Relationships and Backgrounds. They really went to town with the more free-form aspects of the 13th Age in a way I've rarely seen from them. One of them even went so far as to say it his most favorite character he has ever had (which isn't to be taken lightly since we are all in our late 30s to 40 and have been playing RPGs since junior high!).

Now I just have to stay true to Zeitgeist and not be tempted by TSoD! LOL

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Picked up 13th Age and I think it's a super well done game! Very well done, seems like a blast to play/run. So I changed my mind. I like having it's own forum and I think it's own news section is a good idea. I also think 3rd Party stuff for the system could be in that news section. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases