Kingkiller Books

I'm listening to Wise Man's Fear on audio book, and.... I don't like Kvothe. Or Sim, Wil, Denna, Fela, Crazy Professor Who Is Crazy, etc. I want them all to meet their own Red Wedding.

Please, tell me why the books appeal to you as I must be missing something.

Lindeloef

First Post
I just started the 2nd Book but I personally like Professor Crazy, man that guy made me laugh out loud on some chapters. But I really like random humor, so he hits a sweet spot. Though I am with you on Denna. Not like that girl one bit.

The first book, for me, is a better version of Harry Potter. I really like the University stuff.

Also to quote myself from the "what are you reading" thread

My comments on Word of the Wind (spoiler free):
I really liked the Books except for 2 small parts. The first part was, when I realised that the book will tell us his life story and not about the events in the ""now"" time and the other is a story regarding the wedding. Oh and Kothe is kinda a Mary Sue, but in this case it didn't bother me.

In one chapter Kothe is really nervous and man, the author wrote it so well, that I was at least as nervous as Kothe, if not more. So Kudos to Pat.

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Well, if you don't like any of the major characters, then perhaps the books aren't for you. That's okay, there are plenty of other great books out there that might suit you better. I recently put aside Gene Wolfe's Books of the New Sun for that exact reason. They obviously had value, but it wasn't value applicable to me.

That being said, I just finished A Wise Man's Fear and think it's a wonderful series. For a debut novel, I'm really surprised at how good it is. For my own money, Book 1 was better than book 2; it was tighter, the writing in 2 was more indulgent, and some scenes, like the Felurian chapters, went on longer than they needed to. And the Adem were pretty much my least favorite fantasy cliche, the rabid bigots who never get called on it because the author is using them as a mouthpiece for all sorts of things that he finds cool, which also have fantasy martial arts which are totally superior to everything everybody else knows, even though self defense is determined by body mechanics which are the same for everyone...Go Go Run-on sentence.

I don't think you're supposed to like Denna. I think the author, unlike his protagonist, is quite aware of just the kind of manipulative person she is, but if my own adolescence and young adulthood is any guide, is exactly the kind of woman that a certain sort of young man falls madly for, and then proceeds to do all sorts of stupid things for. I think you're supposed to feel sympathy for her, because it's fairly obvious the choices she makes hurt no one more than herself, but I don't think you're expected to feel for her the way that Kvothe does.

Oh, and talent does not make a Mary Sue. Kvothe is a talented character--but no more so than Leonardo, or Mozart. Imagine an autobiography by one of them.

Crothian

First Post
The setting and characters are great. Kvothe is funny and I like the antics and the clever ways he gets out of them. I don't need a main bad guy or cnstant threats, I have dozens of fantasy books like this. I enjoy these because they are well written and creative and enjoyable.

I think Mary Sue term is misused these days. Mary Sue was better then everyone else at whatever they were best at. Kvothe is not. Sure, he is talented and successfully but that's what happens when you are the main character in your own story. He fails at things and is not always the best. He really uses what he is best at to get himself out of many of the problems he gets himself into.

There is a site that I don't have a link to that goes through the books chapter by chapter I think and pulls out hints and connects items a lot more thoroughly then the average reader does. It really was cool to read that as I was rereading the novels to enjoy the complexity of the books.

Nellisir

Hero
I thought the books were well-written. I'm not sure how well that translates to audio, because it's not quite the same as an enjoyable story. Like Salamandyr, I think Book 1 is stronger than Book 2, and Kvothe becomes even more of a Mary Sue (sorry Crothian, but the dude's whole gig is that he -is- better than everyone. He's literally a legend in his own time by the end of Book 2, and he's...what? 16?) in Book 2.

That said, I'm not sure I particularly empathized with any of the characters, so....

Edit: Here's the very first definition of a Mary Sue:
Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling....She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.[5]

Sounds like Kvothe to me. ;)

Last edited:

I'm not sure how well that translates to audio, because it's not quite the same as an enjoyable story.

The reader, his name escapes me, does a good job and his performance is why I continue to listen. Rothfuss has skill as a wordsmith, for example the bit about the "silence of a man waiting to die" is good. There is also a bit of meta-textual cleverness in that Kvothe does not like talking about things which bore him or involve him getting his ass kicked (i.e. the trial and the trip to meet the Maer). However, Kvothe is mildly repellent and possesses less depth than Harry Potter, who at least suffered. I take heart from the fact that Denna, Fela, Sim, Wil, Crazy Professor Who is Crazy, et all are either dead (Kvothe didn't retire to the inn with Denna and is never secretly visited by Sim, and so on) or at least they are permanently out of his life.

Nellisir

Hero
I take heart from the fact that Denna, Fela, Sim, Wil, Crazy Professor Who is Crazy, et all are either dead (Kvothe didn't retire to the inn with Denna and is never secretly visited by Sim, and so on) or at least they are permanently out of his life.
I have a terrible fear that Kvothe is in hiding "to protect them" from something, and there will be a hallelujah breakthrough, he'll defeat the something, and they'll all come out of the woodwork and everything will be wonderful. Except for Professor Crazy, who'll be dead, because it'll just be weird having him sitting around the fireplace with his feet up.

I hated the end of the Farseer Trilogy because Fitz, who'd been through hell and horror, was...well, it wasn't a fairy tale ending. You empathized with him, it was a good story, and it didn't seem like a fair ending. I was stupidly happy when the Tawny Man trilogy started coming out, because it meant things could be set right.

I kinda don't give a hoot how things end with Kvothe. It's more a suspense of how it's going to happen.

Lindeloef

First Post
Okay I finished the 2nd book yesterday. And for me it was a mixed bag, the pacing in it is sometimes so bad, I had to skip some chapters (glancing over them).

The Felurian chapters were already named, but the Adem chapters took too much time too. I really wished in those, that the Mary Sue in Kvothe would be stronger, so we could get past this part. Oh and the bit about Man-Mother? O god why in such length twice?
And ofc the Denna parts.

The rest of the Book really liked, especially the Mercanery part, so for me the break with Felurian is much worse than it might be.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases