Pretty Darn Fun (a look at new PDFs)

Before I get into my usual introduction for the column I want to quickly point out another new and interesting way in which PDFs are being brought to us. This week there are several “Pay What You Want” PDFs. In a nutshell this means you type in a dollar amount you think the PDF is worth and that is what you pay. From a financial standpoint I think this is crazy, but it may just be the way of the future.

While every week has a good number of excellent new PDFs, some weeks seem to offer us a virtual hit parade of high profile, high interest PDFs. This week is the latter kind. I had a hard time deciding between multiple potential Spotlight PDF of the Week, but in the end I went with the offering that makes me personally excited to get to the game table for another night of adventure. So what do we have this week? 11 excellent new PDFs with another 6 new PDFs that I didn’t have room to fully describe but I still wanted to let everyone know about, 4 new WotC rereleases, 7 new adventures and the Spotlight of the Week, which is really 9 PDFs all in the same product line.

Fate Core System
In a normal week this would have easily won the Spotlight of the Week. Fate has been a highly talked about system that provides a solid system that emphasizes character and player driven games. The rule set is flexible enough to handle any genre or style of play. This can be seen by the many games already out there that are using the Fate system. Fate, up to now, was a set of rules that powered all these games, but not a system in its own package. Now it has been developed as a stand alone product that anyone can create their own game from. This PDF is 308 pages long and makes an excellent start for those interested in the Fate system, and also for those already familiar with Fate, as it adds in new options to play with. Also this week the Fate Accelerated Edition was also released and this is the streamlined system (48 pages) that includes all the core Fate mechanics but without a lot of the extraneous options. Both of these are Pay What You Want.

Lake-town
The godfather of rpgs, The Lord of the Rings, was adapted into its latest rpg form by Cubicle 7 in 2011. They continue to support it with this 32 page look at Lake-town. It covers the town itself and the surrounding area. Included is a detailed look at the inhabitants and a new playable culture, Men of the Lake. Now you too can be as cool as Bard the Bowman. Included in the purchase is the Loremaster’s Screen of useful charts, tables and information for running the game.

Doctor Who-The Second Doctor Sourcebook
Cubicle 7 has some the hottest licenses out there today. We just looked at their latest Lord of the Rings offering and this week we also get their newest Doctor Who release. They are in the process of providing sourcebooks that focus on the individual Doctor incarnations. The books offer up a detailed look at each story from the show along with the various aliens, monsters, gadgets, all the while giving them stats for the rpg. This book deals with the Second Doctor as played by Patrick Troughton. The best part about all of this that with all the information packed into the book, it is great for any Doctor Who fan, not just those who play the rpg.

Prowlers & Paragons
This superhero genre rpg looks to take the entire superhero game approach in a new direction. Instead of being a splash of powers it is designed to be narrative-driven. Players and GMs both have impetus and ability to move an adventure along. The rules are also rules-lite wherein the finer details are glossed over to allow for the grand spectacle of four-color comics. This particular PDF is their Quickstart which includes enough rules to play by so a person can see how the game plays out. There is even an adventure to get a group started. The Quickstart is free.

Dungeon Crawl #2
This PDF magazine for OSR games is also following the Pay What You Want paradigm. This second issue is 24 pages long and features a variety of useful articles that range from adventures, items, monsters to advice. If you play an early edition game there may be something of use for you here.

Suns of Gold: Merchant Campaigns for Stars Without Number
I am a huge fan of the free OSR inspired sci-fi game Stars Without Number. Thus far every product in the line has been solid. This full expansion to the system (81 pages) adds in new material and rules for a merchant based campaign wherein the characters travel the space lanes trading in goods and encountering adventures along the way. This is very reminiscent of the core concepts of Traveller. Along with new rules for buying and selling on planets, there are campaign additions for creating trading empires, planets and adventures, along with tips for running such a campaign for the DM.

Aces & Eights
This is the western themed game from Kenzer & Company. The game itself has won numerous industry awards and is an excellent rendition of the genre. This week we see several new PDF releases for the game. The Player’s Guidebook GM Addendum is a 209 page book that provides players with the rules from the GM’s Book that is used with the various character options such as the rules for prospecting, running a cattle drive, poisons, diseases and other things that crop up in a normal game that the players may want access to. The Shootist’s Guide provides a large variety of new target silhouettes for use in the game. Gun Deck has all the guns from the core rule book in a 71-card set complete with picture and game stats. Judas Crossing is a complete 114 page town setting with details on the NPCs, factions, and over 100 buildings. Rustlers & Townsfolk is a 211 page book that provides over 100 all new NPCs for either the Judas Crossing setting or anywhere. Whew, quite a bit to fill out your Aces & Eights or western campaign.

Michtim: Fluffy Adventures
Another of the Pay What You Want products this PDF is an rpg featuring a world of small furry animals and their adventures. The rules are written in a layered style, with the basic rules at the start and then more rules as you go along and gain a better understanding of the system. It looks like it will easily accommodate varying levels of play style and knowledge. The world and characters look to have a depth of variety that aid in role-playing. The character’s stats are based off of emotions instead of the usual physical analogs, making it easier to play with the character’s drives. It looks like a lot of thought went into this game and it certainly looks interesting.

KaPookie Theatre
This is one of the more unique and interesting PDFs this week. It is a complete new role-playing system…written by a 10-year old girl. The stated goals were to design a system to make it easy to introduce kids to rpgs. The rules are lite and easy to understand. What genre is it? Fantasy.

Renaissance d100 Complete
Bundle Packs can be a great deal. This one features the Renaissance Deluxe rules which powers games of sail, piracy, colonization and black powder. With it you can create your own setting and campaign. Along with this core set of rules, the bundle also gives you Clockwork & Chivalry, a setting of an alternate 1645 England and civil war. From there the bundle gives adventures and further alternate setting rules. This bundle has a lot to offer.

Ultimate Rulership
Gamers love having their characters become kings. Paizo recently released the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Campaign which brings rules for player character rulership to Pathfinder. Kingmaker was a hugely popular adventure series for Pathfinder and their first look at PC rulership. This PDF looks to supplement those books, or really any game that features kingdom building, with 40 pages of new material. It gives us more building types, new Edicts, and a wealth of new options to consider.

More and More
As already mentioned, this week has a bunch of really good new material to take a look at. So much in fact that here are a few more new PDFs that I just didn’t have room to give a full description for. Check ‘em out anyway.

Destiny Beginner – A new fantasy rpg.
All for Me Grog – A cinematic rpg of pirates and swashbuckling.
Pathways #27 – A free magazine of new Pathfinder options.
The Genius Guide to Name Traits – A Pathfinder supplement for adding the power of names to your game.
AutoHARP Fantasy – Software for HARP Fantasy character creation and a combat tracker for the game.
Grim Prairie Trails – A supplement for Savage Worlds Deadlands with new monsters and new adventures.

WotC Classic PDFs
DMGR5 Creative Campaigning (2E)
Monstrous Compendium Ravenloft Appendices I & II (2E)
PHBR10 The Complete Book of Humanoids (2E)
Player’s Option Skills & Power (2E)

Adventures
The Magmadome – Pathfinder. Level 4.
The Skullfire Inquisition – Pathfinder. Level 7.
By Silver’s Light – Pathfinder. Level 1.
The Foul Passage of Progress – Pathfinder. Level 6-8.
The Sting of Death – Savage Worlds. Superhero.
Euphoria – Savage Worlds. Science Fiction/Space.
They Kill By Proxy – Savage Worlds. Pulp.

Spotlight: Most Interesting PDF of the Week

Knights of the Dinner Table (KoDT)
For those not in the know, this is a comic book series portraying a fictional group of rpg players. The strips are hilarious and often a reflection of ourselves. The reason this won the Spotlight of the Week over other notable new PDFs this week is that after reading an issue of KoDT I always feel the need to game. I look forward to the next game, eager to throw the dice. The strips do a good job of infusing the comic with an old-school feel where anything could happen and it is fun finding out where the story (and game) will go. The thing is, I don’t have to be in an old-school game; the feelings the strips invoke translate universally to all rpgs in general. Nothing makes me want to game like KoDT.

This week Kenzer & Company released a bunch of their older strips and collections into PDF form. They have three Bundles of Trouble, vol 1, vol 2, vol 3. Each of these is a collection of the strips from three of the regular issues; vol 1 starts with the first three issues and is an excellent place to start reading KoDT. Often the company will release special editions outside their regular publication run and this week we have their Origins 2003 Special and Origins 2004 Special. In addition to the series that stars the “regular” gaming group the company also releases special issues that feature another gaming group, the Black Hands. Black Hands 02, 2010 Special #1, 2010 Special #2 and 2011 Special #1 are four issues that feature this almost funny group. Pick up some of these and you’ll be happy you did.

A Partial listing for Bundle of Trouble vol. 1...
Hoody hoo! This 96-page perfectbound trade paperback contains all three issues worth of classic strips from Knights of the Dinner Table #1 to #3, crammed between two covers, as well as bonus material! It’s always a great time to pick up these hysterically funny strips, so don't miss out on this incredible addition to any gamer's bookshelf!
The Strips

• Lair of the Gazebo
  • A Question of Honor
  • By the Book
  • Attack of the Rules Lawyer
  • Let the Dice Fall Where They May

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I want to cite one curious workaround for the PWYW model: it's perfectly okay to "buy" a PDF for $0.00, download and read it, it buy it again, this time for real. So you may actually decide on the apporpriate price *after* reading it.

First reports from small publishers using this method indicate that maybe it isn't as "crazy" as you think, callinostro. :cool:

Georg Mir

First Post
Hey there!

Thanks for the kind words, callinostros. Sadly I had to deactivate PWYW on Michtim, because after a while, people went straight at 0,-. In the beginning of the PWYW sale action, it really made a lot of sense to do it, but after a few months it started to physically "hurt" seeing people buy the game for 0.10$ …

I've seen people get the game for free first, and fetch the physical book later. So it can be a good deal too. Nevertheless, in the last months the amount of 0,- and sub 1$ payments outrageously trumped those, that were actually paying something for the game.

But yeah. Maybe I'll activate the PWYW Michtim PDF again some time soon.

Kind regards,
Georg

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases