D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters Hobgoblins: You would think there are many cities.

gyor

Legend
When you read the write up on Hobgoblins you would think they have many cities in the Realms. The write up talks about them having a secret police, strictly military like, pursuit of martial and arcane arts, institutions for the arcane arts, ranks, following orders, etc....

I could picture them having a strict military society behind the walls of fortress like cities.

The write up has almost nothing to do with the Forgotten Realms, its seems based more on Greyhawk honestly.

No mention that Bane turned Maglubiyet and Hruggek into Exarchs during the Spellplague (which means its likely many Gobliniods worship Bane as well).

Just to tell you this was bull and is being completely ignored. (And it makes a lot of sense to be ignored.) Maglubiyet is both an older and more powerful god then Bane.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The write up has almost nothing to do with the Forgotten Realms, its seems based more on Greyhawk honestly.

Despite the marketing, and Ed Greenwoods notes (all the stickies are Ed's reactions in character to reading a draft of the book!), it really is a generic D&D book.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It would make perfect sense to have hobgoblin cities, though I could also see them as living entirely out of portable military camps similar to the Roman Castra. Every morning they strike camp, every day they march, every evening they set up camp. These could potentially be like cities unto themselves.

gyor

Legend
The High Moor and the Lurkwood are major Hobgoblin and Bugbear locations and the High Moor is said to have had ancient fallen Kingdoms, so I wouldn't be surprised if either location had at one point a Hobgoblin civilization.

In fact I think some Hobgoblin Tribes of the High Moors actually deal with the Lords' Alliance.

And the Hobgoblins and Bugbears of the Lurkwood tend to be mercanaries working for the Hobgoblin mercs The Chill.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It is a conundrum I usually address by warping my FR maps ("You know those two nations who share a boarder, but aren't at war? That's because there's actually a 500 miles stretch between that the printed map does n't show. It's a demilitarized region that's fairly unsafe and full of adventure opportunities.").

I don't run FR, but I really like this idea. I am swiping it if you don't mind.

I always forget, in this age of satellite imagery, how unreliable old maps used to be

It would make perfect sense to have hobgoblin cities, though I could also see them as living entirely out of portable military camps similar to the Roman Castra. Every morning they strike camp, every day they march, every evening they set up camp. These could potentially be like cities unto themselves.

I really like the idea of a portable city, but would have to figure out a way to make it so it can appear just about any where as needed, while avoiding the standard "wizard did it." I could see the hobgoblin engineering corps can have a city pop up overnight and tear one down the next.

Also how do you have factions within the city that just don't break off and go their separate ways?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases