Sell Me On a Level 23 Character

Nytmare

David Jose
Huh. I wonder if I can sell the group on building our characters around The (movie) Avengers...

Cap as a human paladin with a crazy magic shield? Hulk as a goliath barb? Iron Man as a warforged something? Maybe a self-forged something? Thor as a sword(hammer)mage Demigod?

Ferghis

First Post
Two character concepts I've been enjoying recently:

A deva who used to be the avatar of a god who is now dead. She's been hiding, reincarnating, and looking for allies and ways to get revenge on the killer. Built as a panther Shaman, summoning allies and giving out buffs. MCd to invoker for rituals and to be able to take the Flame of Hope paragon path. There's and ED called Dead God Avatar, but it's mediocre, and the fluff/effect of the main power may not fit your taste. Soul of the World is a great ED for devas.

The other is about a primordial who was imprisoned at the end of the Dawn War, only to be discovered by a greedy devil. The latter freed the primordial in exchange for breaking him down and using the fragments to power an army of warforged. The devil was eventually beaten, and most of the army destroyed. The RP is mainly the construct carrying out its ancient orders, and the primordial fragment inside trying to gain control of the "vessel." Can be built various ways: swordmage, artficer, warlock, a hybrid of those or straight fighter. Planeshaper ED is a fun way to play out the primordial regaining control.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh. I wonder if I can sell the group on building our characters around The (movie) Avengers...

Cap as a human paladin with a crazy magic shield? Hulk as a goliath barb? Iron Man as a warforged something? Maybe a self-forged something? Thor as a sword(hammer)mage Demigod?

Avengers, X-Men, Shi'Ar imperial Guard, Teen Titans, LSH, JLA...all are good inspirations for high-level fantasy parties.

Even individuals an be an inspiration- besides that Hellboy/Hellraiser Warforged I mentioned, I've wanted to do a Black-Bolt themed PC since I saw Infernal Sorcerer Shout in 3.5Ed...

D'karr

Adventurer
<snip>Now spend the next 5 hours wrestling with a complicated stack of abilities you've never played with before."

That is one of the biggest dangers of jumping into Epic, heck even Paragon, with no previous experience with the character abilities.

I see the appeal of an Epic one-shot, but to me it does a disservice to the players and to the game overall. Epic is and can be very fun, but there are a lot of fiddly bits that can make it a bear to play "cold".

keterys

First Post
Yeah, if it's a one shot, I'd suggest things like playing an archer ranger or thief. Simple, still relatively effective.

I've enjoyed playing a Dragonborn Warlord that was "slightly" multiclassed into Fighter (basically just the basic Fighter multiclass feat, and then later taking a Fighter Paragon Path). Back then there weren't as many class feats around as now, and I got him plate armor training and shield specialization. I found Warlords one of the most fun classes in D&D 4 so far. You can wade into melee and assist your allies.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, for a one-shot, pick a strong theme for your character, something useful in multiple situations, and build to that theme as closely as possible, picking powers, feats and items accordingly.

For instance, I play a bravado warlord who primarily works with granting his allies extra attacks or other actions.

Or you could go with an orb wizard who concentrates on locking down opponents with daze, stun and movement-restricting effects.

If you pick a theme and stick with it, then getting a handle on your powers won't be so onerous, as they're all dedicated more-or-less toward the same purpose. And since it's a one-shot, you won't have time to get bored with them.

What you really miss out on with a one-shot is not just mastery of your own character, but the synergies you can develop across a whole party. Hopefully you'll have time to at least start finding those during the course of the session.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Synergies are fun- I had a power that gave a target vulnerability to fire 5...and the party's fighter had a flaming axe.

Another synergy was that my Starlock had a few powers that targeted Will, and one that reduced it, briefly: the party Rogue also had at least one Will-targeting attack, too...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases