Tell me about STAR WARS: EDGE OF EMPIRE

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've been seeing pictures of this game for months now. It looks gorgeous, but looks aren't everything. I feel like I want to buy it, but I need that little push over the edge!

So, SW: EotE players - what do you think of it? What's the good, the bad, and the ugly?

(Am I right in understanding that only a Beginners set is available so far, and the full game is soon?)

Is this the one with all the weird dice? A playtest for that came out at Gen Con last year, and you had to make your own dice using decals and blank polyhedrons. Maybe it was fatigue from the long con, or I just needed someone to explain it to me while playing, but I simply could not get past the first character class when I was reading the rulebook.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Well, I own the Beginner's Set and have run it for my son (12 years old) and one/two of his friends.

I is designed as an introduction to the game: one booklet offers a mixture of rules explantion and a small, mostly linear adventure. You read the description of the scene plus some explantion of rules used in this scene, and then run this encounter. It is pretty easy to grasp and can be run without much preparation.

The game gives you four ready-to-run adventurers with two more being available from FFG's web site. These hero booklets also give you the necessary data to advance up to level 3, although the options are limited.

The game uses a special set of dice for task resolution, which work along different axis: one covers success and failure, wheras the other axis - whose name escapes me right now - gives your character an advantage or disadvantage. So cou can easily achieve success with an accompanying disadvantage or don't reach your goal but have something positive happening, nevertheless. The rules give some examples and tables for this, but the GM is asked to provide some creative answers.

I, with my 30 years experience with linear task resolution, was sceptical at first, but the system proved to be fun. :)
Applying it was pretty easy and prompted several interesting situations. We had a character heavily hitting an enemy with his blaster (lots of successes) while getting entangled in a curtain and falling off a stage (disadvantage). Another fight had character missing his target, but forcing the enemy to duck behind some obstacle, limiting the enemy's options for the next turn.

The included adventure is pretty linear: heroes flee from some enforcers on Tatooine, rob/steal/buy or whatever a needed spaceship part (antimatter ractor ignition or something like that), try to get Spaceport Control to unlock a landing bay, fight a group of Stormtroopers, probably kill the criminal owner of said spaceship, take off and get into a fight with some TIE fighters.

My players bodged the fight against the Stormtroopers, which led to most of them being captured by the crime lord. The rest plus some other prepped characters freed them in an improvised scene in the hut's palace. Even with the little material given in the game, it wasn't too hard to set up this scene. I took and modified some creatures and improvised some others.

If we come together again, we can proceed with another adventure available for free from FFG's site. It starts where the intro game left off, giving the heroes a space ship from the outset.

SW:EotE is a refreshing take on Star Wars gaming. Top-notch production values, a low price, and a system which supports the SW setting (at least for low-level heroes and withou the Force) and the tropes of the SW universe are big pluses.

On the other hand I'n not sure that I'll buy the full game. A, what, 500 pages rules book seems a bit out of character for this game. But FFG will publish a stand alone adventure for the Begfinner's game, which is an article I will buy - only for the sake of my son, of course.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
It looks awesome. The Beta rules are only 200 or so pages.

Our group will be starting this as soon as the book comes out and we are really excited to start this.
The dice look great and dynamic and the rules are narrative vs tactical.

Fiddleback

First Post
Ahh [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], it gratifies me to hear that you have an interest in the game. It truly does.

Before I launch into things, allow me to point you at some basic resources for coming to grips with a system which is both beautiful and challenging.

The Order 66 Podcast is THE premiere resource for all things Edge of the Empire. If you play the game, either as a GM or a Player it is the Go To source for understanding the system and getting the most out of it possible. Begin with Episode #1 (rebooted from Saga Edition) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Order66/~3/7vKM08ng9hE/episode1.mp3 You'll probably find (tooting my own horn a bit here) the Skill monkey segment most useful for getting your head around how the dice work. Bonus, this episode has Jay Little, the lead designer of the game, on the show to explain the system.

Continuing the theme of plugging stuff I am involved with, The GSA has TONS of articles on Edge of the Empire. Specifically useful articles include:

GenCon last year saw the release of the Beta Rules for EotE, a review of which is here: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2012/09/06/review-edge-of-the-empire-beta/

A review of how the Beta game plays: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2012/09/07/poking-around-at-the-edge-of-the-empire/

For those looking for more species to add to the game: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2012/...-empire-the-unofficial-species-menagerie-2-0/

The Edge of the Empire Beginner Box came out just before Christmas and was reviewed: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2012/12/15/rpg-review-star-wars-edge-of-the-empire-beginners-box/

Jay Little himself provided the GSA with a primer on how and why the dice system works as it does: http://gsa.thegamernation.org/2013/01/16/nerd-numbers-terminal-outcomes/

There is a ton more EotE related stuff on the GSA and it has probably the largest archive of pre-gen characters, set pieces, and other plug in style resources of anything currently out there on the internet. http://gsa.thegamernation.org/

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
My friends and I tried the quick-start game last week, with me GM’ing.

It played to laregly mixed reviews. This was primarily due to the dice system which out [admittedly rules-light] group found a bit kloodgy. Beyond the fact that we had only two sets of dice [1 digital, which was a pricy $5 download!!) for 7 people, most people were confused by the variety of different types of dice, each color-coded with varied symbols that need to be assessed after each roll. [The group also didn’t care for the Marvel Heroes RPG dice system, either, though almost the whole group loves Fate!]

The Beginners Box is quite nice, content-wise, though not quite up to the Pathfinder beginner box. The set comes with a double-sided map, some pogs to represent characters, enemies, and sundry items. It also comes with the “Beginners Rules Set” [the fact that this doesn’t have char-gen was a big drawback to our group!], an Intro Adventure, and 4 character folios, which do a decent job of explaining each characters skills, and the very basics of dice-rolling and how to assess the symbols. As a warning, the box is very flimsy and likely to disintegrate pretty quickly.

The good?
The group concensus was that it “Felt like Star Wars”, which goes a long way with our group; Despite being critically-acclaimed, our group never jibed with the previous SAGA edition of Star Wars. But under this set, people immediately felt familiar with the world, and how their characters fit into it, again in part to the stuff from the presentation of the set and the feel of the intro adventure..
And the mechanics [dice tallying bit aside] worked pretty well; people liked the “Advantage/Menace” mechanic, as it allowed them to do cool stuff, even if the action itself failed, or a sudden stroke of bad luck even if the action succeeded!

Sadly, FFG is not doing themselves any favors (IMO) with all the delays; it may be unavoidable, but it’s tough to have someone pick up a “Beginners Set”, want to get into the game, and then learn “Oh, the Core Book has been delayed until July.” (NOw about 5+ months later.) And you can’t buy the dice individually yet, either, only from the boxed set, or the digital app. Another strike, IMO.

And, while it’s completely possible to play under the beginners set, there are some glaring omissions, such as Character Generation and rules for Jedi. (I personally REALLY like that the game focuses on fringers, and other non-Jedi characters, but to some of our group, despite the wide variety of templates/races, etc, available, Star Wars IS the Jedi.

Take this review with a grain of salt; I’m not quite sure if our group is typical, atypical, or somewhere off in left-field, so other opinions will, by necessity, vary.

Oh, and I'm really digging the Order 66 podcast [MENTION=6704070]Fiddleback[/MENTION]. THanks for pointing it out to everyone!

Last edited:

Fiddleback

First Post
Now, for the sales pitch.

Edge of the Empire is wholly different from the majority of mainstream RPGs that are the usual fare on ENWorld. If you are a lifelong player of D&D or Pathfinder, you are in for a learning curve that some folks have found difficult to surmount. Fair warning.

The key to understanding the way the game works is that it is all about telling a story. Now, before you jump up and down and start yelling "We tell stories in D&D all the time!", let me explain.

EotE truly makes story telling the FOCUS of the game, not just the reason for going out and garnering treasure and killing monsters. The GM and the players work together to tell the story and this is entirely aided by the dice. We've taken to calling it a narrative dice system.

Skill checks constitute building a dice pool made up of dice provided by your basic statistics, any relevant skills you might have, difficulty dice set by the level of difficulty of the thing you are trying to do, plus additional 'negative' dice as provided by details of the scene or situation you find yourself in. Then, the dice are rolled and results come up and are evaluated.

It isn't a binary chop resolution. The dice carry a number of symbols and they interact in interesting ways. You can get results that combine all of the following possible resolutions: Success, Failure, Advantage, Threat, Triumph, and Despair.

Success means you did what you set out to do, with varying degrees of success based on how many turn up.
Failure, the opposite of success, means you didn't do what you wanted.
Advantage means you gain some sort of Advantage in the scene, regardless of any success or failure rolled.
Threat means that you've created an opportunity for something to go wrong, also regardless of any success or failure rolled.
Triumph is, to a certain extent, just like getting a critical success in d20 games, except it is orders of magnitude more impactful and again, is independent of success or failure.
Similarly, Despair is like a critical failure and operates in similar ways to Triumph.

And you can get any of these on any given roll. So, you can, for instance, get 2 success, a threat and despair on a single roll. You did what you set out to do, but something went wrong and whatever it was has a MAJOR effect on how the scene plays out from here.

And the best part is, the players get to narrate how all the positive results play out and the GM handles all the negative effects of the same roll. You tell the story of your results every step of the way.

From FFG itself:

Interpreting the Game’s Narrative Dice

As previously discussed, the narrative dice system used in Edge of the Empire often rewards players with surprising turns of events. Advantage and Threat can add depth to each action that reaches beyond its success or failure, and the Core Rulebook provides examples of how a GM may interpret them.

During a climactic space battle, the players may successfully gun down the TIE fighters that were pursuing them, but if they generate enough Threat, their space battle may still leave them limping through space when they suffer damage to the reverse power coupling. Alternatively, if the players earn enough Advantage while failing to repair the reverse power coupling, they may find the trace signal hidden in the ship’s engine that allowed the Empire to locate them in the first place. Whatever the outcome, the game’s narrative dice advance storytelling throughout your gaming sessions, and this leaves you plenty of opportunity to pursue new angles in your adventures.

Other factors make the game interestingly unique. Players start with something called Obligation. Obligation represents things that characters have hanging around in their backgrounds that are like the Sword of Damacles hanging over their heads. Bad deals, bad loans, dumped cargoes, and other such things that, much like Han Solo and his debt to Jabba, can crop up at inconvenient times to rattle a players cage and make life just that much more difficult for him. There are motivations as well, providing a reason your character is doing what he is doing and why he might react in particular ways in certain situations. In short, character backgrounds and personalities suddenly matter in a concrete way in EotE.

You should note though, there are no Jedi, not yet anyway. Edge of the Empire is the first in a series of three books planned for release in the next couple of years. Jedi are in the last book. Why? Because Edge of the Empire is set just there, at the edge of the Empire, where their reach is weakest and all those fringe type characters hang out. The seedy bars of Tatooine are home to smugglers, scouts, and others who hang out on the fringes of society. The games time frame is that period just after the first Death Star is blown up, but before the events of Empire Strikes Back. After the Jedi Purge. They just aren't around in this time frame. Subsequent books will advance the storyline and, while remaining independent and stand-alone, also be completely compatible. So those Jedi people want so badly, are coming. Just not yet.

Not to say there isn't force use. In fact, the Force is an integral part of each game. Players roll force dice to add light side and dark side points to the destiny pool. Players use the light side to do amazing things, but so to does the GM use dark side to really muck things up for the players. The points flip back and forth as they are used, so, while you can never have more points in the pool than you start each session with, the number of light and dark side points available fluctuate as the game progresses.

I can go on. Instead, I think I will say this: I don't get horribly excited about new rules systems and weird dice and unfamiliar mechanics. Most of it is the same old same old in a slightly different dress. This, however, has me very excited about the way it works and what it is meant to do when played. It is effective and, once you get used to it, elegant to play.

The Core Book releases the first week of July according to FFG. It is 400+ pages of rules, background, setting information and adventure. It looks gorgeous. The system plays brilliantly. And I've had it on pre-order for 4 months now. :)

Hope that helps.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases