Tell me about STAR WARS: EDGE OF EMPIRE

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Btw: The dates given for the posts - in this thread at least - seem to be off. My original post is stamped as of being from June, 21st, while it must be from around April.

I only started the thread on June 21st. I don't think you'll have been able to post in it two months before I started it! :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Are there plans to include a starship combat system that more mirrors the space battles we saw at the end of episode 4 and 6? I don't want something super fiddly. NO MINIS.

It should be narrative, but it would be neat if players had more to do beyond rolling to hit and damage every round. I'd like each player to be able to feel like they are in their own ship, dogfighting endless hordes of TIE fighters while flying around massive capital ships.

I also want Jedi so I can run a KoTOR game. Two years away is absolutely ridiculous for full Jedi support. I'm not happy with that at all.

DnD_Dad

First Post
I've never played a SW rpg other than WEG 2nd. I think my love for star wars has run its course, and the mutterings of early middle age lingering on the horizon made me jaded. Not to mention the prequel.

fuzzlewump

First Post
It's a solid game with a good, albeit vanilla system. It's a system I could see being a 'World of Darkness' style system, and it's not bad.

That said, at first glance, they failed at something critical for Star Wars. Whenever fighting with a blaster in the movies, there are (usually) two outcomes. The blast misses entirely, or it blows you away (95%+ of the time.) Instead, in EotE, you get hit and then wounded, and have to shoot (and hit) someone multiple times with a Blaster to kill them. And it's not just ephemeral 'HP,' you actually accumulate 'Wounds' per the beta rules that you can heal with a medicine check. Maybe this is minor to most people, but to me it's very important to the Star Wars 'reality.'

The other big problem for me is the the little blurb on 'failing checks' in the beta rules. Basically, it says that failing checks shouldn't stop the game, etc, and other things that have personally become cliche to me. But the rules encourage still making checks like lockpicking checks, and there's no design or rules to tell you what to do when that fails. It's all just dependent on the GM. There needs to be some design legwork here, such a 'success with a catch' like if you fail a roll, then you succeed on it if you take threat equal to the margin of failure (or what have you) or the GM can present a twist (ala Mouse Guard.) The rules as written come off as lazy to me.

Beyond that, from what I'm reading in this thread, there are no Jedi. Seriously? When was the last time you saw a Star Wars movie without Jedi in it? Sure, you have the problem of too many Jedi if the GM doesn't rein it in, but if they're going to release Jedi in a couple of years, then they're just offsetting the 'problem.'

Agatheron

First Post
It's a solid game with a good, albeit vanilla system. It's a system I could see being a 'World of Darkness' style system, and it's not bad.

That said, at first glance, they failed at something critical for Star Wars. Whenever fighting with a blaster in the movies, there are (usually) two outcomes. The blast misses entirely, or it blows you away (95%+ of the time.) Instead, in EotE, you get hit and then wounded, and have to shoot (and hit) someone multiple times with a Blaster to kill them. And it's not just ephemeral 'HP,' you actually accumulate 'Wounds' per the beta rules that you can heal with a medicine check. Maybe this is minor to most people, but to me it's very important to the Star Wars 'reality.'

I think you might be missing something here. I've only just read the rules in the free rpg day release, as well as having glanced at the Core Rulebook today. In the game, the players are largely exceptional, and they face down 3 types of opponents: minion, rival, and nemesis. Most of the blaster hits we see in Star Wars are against minion type mooks (stormtroopers), which have very few wounds relative to characters. The blaster pistols in the free rpg game do 5-7 damage automatically if they hit, which is further enhanced by successes... And i am assuming these characters are"low level". The scoundrel character in the folio rolling 6 uncontested sucesses could inflict 13 points of damage on a single shot, or cash them in for 2 critical hits. Yes, damage can be soaked, but on the whole minions aren't going to last long. Additionally, since the dice are narrative, if the first shot doesn't take down a minion, it might not mean its a direct, solid hit.

Another piece I like is how the initiative works. Everybody rolls for slots, but they don't necessarily have to take the slot that they've rolled. Instead the players can choose who goes next it heir particular slot, which really adds to teamwork role playing.

Jhaelen

First Post
if they're going to release Jedi in a couple of years, then they're just offsetting the 'problem.'
Yup, that's what I fear.
What I've seen so far in the previews looks really great and I dig the dice, but I'm wary of buying an 'incomplete' game. I'd rather wait until I can get the whole thing.

Lindeloef

First Post
Talk about times running fast! I was absolutely sure that this thread dates back some months. :-S
You are getting old, my friend :p

On topic: If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the other Star Wars books that will come out (like the Jedi one) are not meant to mix with the others. So you have a jedi campaign, a "Scoundrel" campaign and so on. Kinda like the Warhammer 40k rpgs where you don't really mix them together.
But again, I am not sure if I remember that correctly.

Fiddleback

First Post
You aren't.

All three books are meant to stand alone just fine and be complete games in and of themselves while also integrating with each other once they all come out.

re: Jedi - You are on a journey. Your journey pays off in the Force and Destiny book (2015), but you can choose to begin it starting with Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion (2014). It's up to you.

Honestly, go watch that video I linked to a couple of posts above. It might answer a lot of questions. Or at least, create some different questions.

Remove ads