Tell me about STAR WARS: EDGE OF EMPIRE

Agatheron

First Post
Full list

Species: Bothans, Droids, Gands, Humans, Trandoshans, Rodians, Twi'leks, Wookies

Droids are the most customizable of all the species in the game, and they receive extra experience to reflect that fact. However, all of a droid's characteristics start at 1, which means the extra experience is likely expected to be spent on upping the basics.

Careers (Specializations)
Bounty Hunter (Assassin, Gadeteer, or Survivalist)
Colonist (Doctor, Politico, Scholar)
Explorer (Fringer, Scout, Trader)
Hired Gun (Bodyguard, Marauder, Mercenary Soldier)
Smuggler (Pilot, Scoundrel, Thief)
Technician (Mechanic, Outlaw Tech, Slicer)

It is possible to take more than one specialization, and you can also take it outside of your career as well if you spend the XP for it. One specialization that is external to all of the careers is the "Force Sensitive Exile" which appears in a different place in the book. It is presumed that this is taken over and above ones career specialization, and as such requires a minimum of 20xp to purchase off the hop.

There's a LOT of choice in this. I have yet to make my first character precisely because there's so many choices available! Hopefully I'll sit down and make one once I've carefully read through all the careers and specializations.

Gundark

Explorer
Yup, that's what I fear.
What I've seen so far in the previews looks really great and I dig the dice, but I'm wary of buying an 'incomplete' game. I'd rather wait until I can get the whole thing.
I know you used "" with incomplete but Edge of the Empire is far from incomplete.

Gundark

Explorer
Ugh, really? That doesn't make any sense to me, except as a lazy cop-out. It's like releasing a Lord of the Rings RPG with separate all-hobbits, all-elves, and all-dwarves campaign settings. Definitely not what I'd want to see as a fan of the movies.

I'm pretty sure that Lindelof is remembering incorrectly

Agatheron

First Post
What roleplaying game is complete? ;) I understand why they did this, and I personally like the approach they've taken. Instead of trying to skim over the whole Star Wars galaxy, they've taken what I find to be a very in-depth look at 1/3rd of it. I'm not one who normally likes to play in those hives of scum and villainy, and yet this game has me excited to make a character who lives on the fringes with an extensive backstory.

Oddly enough, I actually like the fact that they've not included stats for major NPCs in the Core Rulebook. They have a little blurb on how much or how little one should use film characters in your game. Am I curious in terms of how they scale? Yes. But truthfully I'd rather have characters truly fearing Vader by not knowing exactly how many force dice he has access to, nevermind his proficiency with a lightsaber. A lightsaber is truly a dangerous weapon in the game, BTW. It's also exceedingly rare and expensive.

Gundark

Explorer
It also sounds far from complete.

Well, FFG made the decision (or maybe Disney/Lucasfilm made them) to focus on the rebellion era of Star Wars. The closest that you can get to Jedis is what Luke would have looked like in episode 4 and the beginning of episode 5. I can understand how this is a sticking point for some people.

The book weighs in @ 437 pages while Saga edition had 285. There is a lot of stuff in EotE and calling it incomplete is like calling Saga Edition incomplete. Saga took a kitchen sink a approach which left it feeling far from complete too.

Honestly calling EotE incomplete is really not being fair to the game

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases