Elven Language / how to say love in elven?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I think this may have come up recently, but I can't find it anywhere.

I need to know how to say the word love in Elven. My character and another have developed a relationship of sorts and have become all that is good and true in the world for our group (not too much to live up to!). So I would like to know the word in case it comes up, and I have a feeling it will.

I looked in the Dragon magazine about Elves, and surprisingly it's not in there.

Any ideas?

Queenie

I'm trying to avoid having to read 500 pages on Tolkien, but I will if I have to!

Tsyr

Explorer
Actualy, I think lover would be "melro", not "meldo".

Now, "melindo" would be a valid one... it would refer specificly to a lover who was male. Likewise, "melinde" would refer to a female lover.

Maudlin

First Post
Also (unless someone corrects me), I think "I love you" is translated into Quenya as 'melnye tye', derived from the stems mentioned above.

kengar

First Post
Tsyr said:
Actualy, I think lover would be "melro", not "meldo".

Now, "melindo" would be a valid one... it would refer specificly to a lover who was male. Likewise, "melinde" would refer to a female lover.

I defer to anyone who has made an active study of Quenya. I am merely quoting the above link. :)

Corlon

First Post
who thinks they can type up the many many pages it takes to say, "hello* how are you?" in ent?

*Hello takes two pages by itself :D

Tewligan

First Post
Tsyr said:
I've always used melin-le for "I love you"... hmmm... aught to go check on that...
"Always?" I can't help but wonder how often the need to express love in the elvish tongue comes up in your daily life...

Suldulin

First Post
Tewligan said:

"Always?" I can't help but wonder how often the need to express love in the elvish tongue comes up in your daily life...

could see using it as a replacement for 'using' french with a girlfriend, wife, spouse, significant other, etc. . .

Remove ads