[Miniatures] Dog's Bones - 2018 ->Dec 18th - Animals

ced1106

Explorer
Agreed on the wash. I like QuickShade Inks (eye droppers) washes. The brown Strong Tone is the most versatile, but black Dark Tone is useful sometimes.

With Bones, I find applying a wash of Pledge Future Floor Wax (Amazon and Walmart) mixed with some runny AppleBarrel black craft paint REALLY helps find the details and mold lines.

Here's a pretty good tutorial for washes:
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_washing.html

Some D&D Adventure mini's I primed white then washed black, then colored.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ced1106/media/Miniatures/IMG_0520_zps9407e7dd.jpg.html?sort=6&o=2

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Fighters - good or bad?

Here are some big bold fighters. BBEG? Heroic PC? You decide!
338 (Medium).JPG339 (Medium).JPG330 (Medium).JPG331 (Medium).JPG328 (Medium).JPG329 (Medium).JPG324 (Medium).JPG325 (Medium).JPG321 (Medium).JPG320 (Medium).JPG

tangleknot

Explorer
Bottom wizard looks really good! However the top girl miniature could probobly use a few washes to bring out her hair and shoes.

Many of the miniatures look "grainy." I've had this happen before when I used cheap spray can primer, and the nozzle just sputtered the paint out. - maybe the reason? or it could just be the photograph...

BTW are you using a sealant like matt or semi gloss finish? Its a very good idea to do that if you haven't already (or paint jobs can and will flake over time).

Thanks for posting, looking good :)

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Many of the miniatures look "grainy." I've had this happen before when I used cheap spray can primer, and the nozzle just sputtered the paint out. - maybe the reason? or it could just be the photograph...

BTW are you using a sealant like matt or semi gloss finish? Its a very good idea to do that if you haven't already (or paint jobs can and will flake over time).

Yes, the grainy look is from the primer I was using. I stopped priming when I noticed it, but still have several more that have already been primed...

I am using a sealant as well -- although often I have been taking the photos before I seal them.

Thanks again!

tangleknot

Explorer
If you need to remove paint, I've always used pinesol. Works great on plastic and metal, just leave the mini in it for a day and scrub with an old toothbrush (if it didn't all just come off)
Just try it out on one bone mini first though... just in case it dissolves bones...

I only mentioned the sealant cause I didn't know to do it for about 1 year into my hobby, and by then I was starting to do "touch ups" on my flaky minis :( Live and learn I guess.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Quick Undead Horde

A quick base & wash for my Undead Horde. Skeletons, Zombies/Ghouls, and a Mummy. I did a couple of extra layers/steps on the mummy, but basically quick base coats and a wash. I went ahead and re-based these, since the broccoli bases were a little small.

002 (Medium).JPG007 (Medium).JPG

tangleknot

Explorer
Here's a couple tips. When doing fur, very Very lightly dry brush off white color to give the fur a bit of sheen. As for small rodents white/red dots for eyes really help them stand out especially on swarm tokens.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Huge Griffon

Okay, so the scale of this Reaper mini is a bit off... way bigger than my other (WoTC) griffons and really too big to be "Large" -- so I mounted on a Huge-sized base and we'll call it an "Advanced Griffon" -- or as I like to say "the mother of all griffons" :)
007 (Medium).JPG008 (Medium).JPG009 (Medium).JPG

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases