Steel Dragons' World of Orea RPG playtest: "Shadows Loss" (still accepting PCs)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This will be the "In Character" thread for the World of Orea playtest...take 1. Note that the forum demands a "prefix" so I've put it as 1e since that's the closest thing/bulk of the system...I think.
[MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] [MENTION=53286]Lwaxy[/MENTION]

Ok gents. Hopefully things are going well for Lwaxy and he will be joining us shortly. But I figure we can get this show on the road and add folks to as necessary.

So...off we go!
------------------------------

It is nearing the end of summer in the Freelands' city of Threeways. It is mid-morning and already the heat is oppressive in the southern ward of the city. Once a neighborhood of some decent markets and prominence, it's fallen into disrepair over the passed several decades. Now generally a low income area filled with run-down tenements, several taverns, brothels and low-class gambling halls (often within the same building) and more than a few abandoned and/or damaged buildings whose owners simply can't be bothered (or don't have the means) to repair them. This section of the city is called by the city residents, simply, "the Shanty" and, for all of Threeways' fame for "high end" debauchery and exotic thrills, it is this part of the city that has a reputation as dirty, poor, and generally unsavory.

About half way into the Shanty on Old Market Street there is an abandoned inn. It succumbed to a fire about a month ago and no one has seen hide nor hair of the owners since. The sign on the street side, still hanging askew by a single iron ring, identifies it as The Happy Harpy. The lower two floors of the structure are still sound, though doors and windows have been boarded up. The third floor sustained more damage, but can still be traversed with care. The fourth floor was entirely destroyed exposed in several places to the sky through large burned out holes in the roof.

Below, in the Harpy's old cellar, two individuals sit in the diffused light streaming in from the street-side narrow dingy window that looks out at the gutter of Old Market Street. One calls himself "No Shadow John." The other, a great muscled beast of a creature covered in thick russet colored fur, a grorn, the "beastmen" from the western Thelitian desert. He is known as "Rust Stalker", or "Russ" to his friends...of which there are two in the whole of Orea...both, by some whim of fate, happen to be named John...which is good. Easy for Russ to remember. His mind is too cluttered with other things than to worry about too many "prey-meat" at once.

The large bestial form sits in the shadows, decidedly away from the light streaming in. It whittles calmly at a discarded chair leg. The slow sculpting seems to be forming a club-like head of some creature at the end of the sturdy length of wood. There are four similar carved weapons on the floor beside it. This skill and detail of the grorn's work is impressive.

It's been three days since your little gang has had a paying "job" and everyone's getting kinda bored and antsy to get out and do something. Your current "leader", Big John, has been gone since before you awoke. You can only hope he's gone to work his contacts for something to do.

The grorn didn't know where "BJ" had gotten to. You're starting to have your doubts about the lucrative possibilities of this group you met up with two weeks ago. Still, you and Russ get along well and the three of you have been effective at small...tasks that are only miiiinorly illegal. Not that anyone cares in the Shanty, anyway. You've seen a single city guard patrol in the whole month you've been in the city.

You [John the Dead] notice the grorn's jackal-like ears twitch a moment before you yourself hear someone entering your hideout through the "secret" back door. Russ sniffs the air and since he doesn't growl or take any fighting posture, you realize not there's no need for concern.

A moment later, the tall, broad chested form of your recent "boss", Big John fills the narrow short doorway that leads into the cellar. He is black haired and bearded. The tips of his chin just beginning to be touched with the greying whiskers of a man past his prime. Dark brown eyes are set deep beneath thick black brows. This face beginning to show the wear of weather, age and years of hard living. He wears dark brown leather armor, black breeches and boots, with a dark grey hooded cloak covers most of his big shape. The pommel of his broad curved Thelitian-style dagger (though he, himself, is not Thelitian, but a Freelander), glints from its place on his left hip.

The well-muscled six foot tall man has to duck and turn sideways to enter the chamber. He tosses a small leather pouch on the table where you've sat waiting. You hear the welcomed jingle of coins within the pouch as it lands on the crude wooden table.

"Johnnie, take this. Head down to Gilly's*. Get us some bread n' cheese, ale and a side of ribs fer Russ. We gotta'nuther job tonight and I want everyone in top form. Gonna need our strength...and I'd better not hear you were at Damodil's**, neither. I expect the proper change." he gives you a glare. You can't tell really if he's joking or serious. He always looks serious.

* Gilly is the proprietor of the neighborhood's general store. He's the only shopowner along Old Market Street that is still in business after 20 years. He started as a butcher, when the neighborhood was still respectable. As more and more merchants and tradesmen closed up and left the Shanties, Gilly began supplying their wares. He is pretty much the only guy for decent groceries and many other common wares and dry goods within a half mile. Everyone in the neighborhood knows and, generally, likes Gilly. While there is much rumor and speculation about various and sundry "connections" of the affable large man, no one messes with Gilly. His shop is roughly a fifteen minute walk from your hideout, right along/on Old Market Street.

**Damodil is an "honorable worm" of a man who runs low-class low-stakes gambling out of a dingy small room in the back of a mediocre noodle shop. Once an up-and-coming procurer of fine silks, in front of his rising exclusive gambling house, Damodil crossed the wrong man (or didn't pay the right people...the details of his "fall from grace" are somewhat unclear) and now finds himself running dice and and card games in the Shanties...but hey, he's alive and convinced he will make his way "back up to the big time. One o' these days. Just you wait!" Damodil's "Den" is in an alley, about halfway to Gilly's and two blocks east.

Welcome to Orea.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Below, in the Harpy's old cellar, two individuals sit in the diffused light streaming in from the street-side narrow dingy window that looks out at the gutter of Old Market Street.
One calls himself 'No-Shadow John', a fairly well-built young human with short-hacked hair, eyebrows and 3-day stubble all the sustained color of fine gray soot. He's presently wearing loose gray pants and a sleeveless shirt in another pattern of grey, its lace-up collar fully unlaced against the heat and somewhat frayed around the edges to boot.

But never mind that now: He throws a pair of bare, tightly muscled arms up in the air, their skin pale from prolonged, almost religious avoidance of the sun: "Alright that's it: I'm bored, empty, soaking in my own despair!" (In the window's slanting light it's quite obvious that his moniker isn't just for show either: he *really* doesn't have a shadow!) "Let's just... Go burglar us some furniture or something, Russ! Or at least freaking heavy drapes to close-off Hygarr's bed, right?"

As anybody with eyes can see, the hideout's furnishings so far mainly consist of cleverly multi-purposed (and only mostly empty) crates, steel-ringed barrel 'tables', an assortment of straw-stuffed improvised bedding, and of course Big John's 'throne' -- a rather impressive, painted and decorated piece of the wood-carver's art that one, granted; could very well have belonged to a pope like he said it did...

And Hygarr is snoring right now, the care-free bastard!

<Response Rust-Stalker?>

Eventually...

John notice the grorn's jackal-like ears twitch a moment before you yourself hear someone entering your hideout through the "secret" back door. Russ sniffs the air and since he doesn't growl or take any fighting posture, you realize not there's no need for concern.
John discreetly reaches under the messy bed-covers anyways, right hand closing around the plain leather grip of one of his short swords... He needn't have bothered though:

A moment later, the tall, broad chested form of your recent "boss", Big John fills the narrow short doorway that leads into the cellar. He is black haired and bearded. The tips of his chin just beginning to be touched with the greying whiskers of a man past his prime. Dark brown eyes are set deep beneath thick black brows. This face beginning to show the wear of weather, age and years of hard living. He wears dark brown leather armor, black breeches and boots, with a dark grey hooded cloak covers most of his big shape. The pommel of his broad curved Thelitian-style dagger (though he, himself, is not Thelitian, but a Freelander), glints from its place on his left hip.
"Hey there, Big John," waves the smaller, wiryer John, playing it casual. It's not like he would give his entire right arm for some excitement right now or anything, right? Of course not. "Anything good? And don't you get freaking *hot* in that Cloak of whateveritis?"

He and Russ have spotted themselves in their forcefully-occupied basement, by the thick, still-cool field stone walls and the three-quarter-filled water tun - instead of their usual nighttime hangout out front under the makeshift awnings they installed there (with a firepit, log 'stools' and everything) - specifically to get out of the already climbing heat (though the sunlight drifting over him from the window *is* slowly getting fairly uncomfortable, frankly; going to have to move fairly soon anyways).

That cloak's *got* to be magical, right?

<Response Big John?>

The well-muscled six foot tall man has to duck and turn sideways to enter the chamber. He tosses a small leather pouch on the table where you've sat waiting. You hear the welcomed jingle of coins within the pouch as it lands on the crude wooden table.

"Johnnie, take this. Head down to Gilly's*. Get us some bread n' cheese, ale and a side of ribs fer Russ. We gotta'nuther job tonight and I want everyone in top form. Gonna need our strength...and I'd better not hear you were at Damodil's**, neither. I expect the proper change." he gives you a glare. You can't tell really if he's joking or serious. He always looks serious.
"Now, now, would I do that to you?" Brown eyes glinting, in sharp contrast to the pale skin, the slate-gray hair. And never mind the fact that he's done it oh so many times before. (A man of the world has needs, you know? It's so easy to forget who's money is in your purse when it's -well- in your purse! Who could blame him?)

No-Shadow John limbers up, somewhat eager to- but then pauses, not one to pass up a chance to make others do the grunt work (plus it's SUNNY out there! What if he starts looking like his father and dimwit brothers, all tanned, farmer-y and *peasantish*?!). "How about we cut for it? Whoever looses has to run the errands." A look at both John and Rust-Stalker, eyes still glinting. Oh, and: "What's the big job?" With some definite eagerness there... Tonight, eh? Not sure he's going to be able to hang on 'til then.

<Assuming some resistance form Big John on the gambling front:
John pushes one of the smaller barrel-chair John's way with a bare foot (stone floor's nice and cool when you're not wearing boots) while gesturing invitation to the table, roguish grin firmly in place now: "Come on, if I'm not going to Damodil's, you got to give me something, right? What if I snap going cold-turkey on any and all gambling like that?" he teases. "That's not healthy, you know Boss man. Not healthy at all." His rumpled and stained 'green roses' deck is somehow already on the table, which it clearly wasn’t before!

(The deck is so-named for the brambly roses crudely inked in green on the back of the cards :)).

[sblock=OOC]
Welcome to Orea.
Glad to be here. :)

Re the addition of One-Hand Tully, you did say he joined a gang of three, right? If you had/have other ideas for the third member, the above is just a suggestion, of course.

By the way, the <Response?> tags are meant to show that John is expecting a reply from that person (as expressed through non-verbal cues). It's not meant to bar or discourage *others* from replying in any way (feel encouraged even), or force a reply, and certainly a wave or ignoring *is* considered a reply in this context. Just so you know. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: : RE: One-Hand Tully, that did confuse me a bit. I mean, yes, we had said a gang of three...I was simply counting you as that third. But, no bother for me. One-Hand Tully it is...

"Alright that's it: I'm bored, empty, soaking in my own despair!" (In the window's slanting light it's quite obvious that his moniker isn't just for show either: he *really* doesn't have a shadow!) "Let's just... Go burglar us some furniture or something, Russ! Or at least freaking heavy drapes to close-off Tully's bed, right?"

And One-hand Tully is snoring right now, the care-free bastard!

<Response Rust-Stalker?>

Rust Stalker turns to you with pupil-less solid amber eyes glinting from the shadows. You only receive a derisive snout from his large canine snout.

"Hey there, Big John," waves the smaller, wiryer John, playing it casual. It's not like he would give his entire right arm for some excitement right now or anything, right? Of course not. "Anything good? And don't you get freaking *hot* in that Cloak of whateveritis?"

That cloak's *got* to be magical, right?

"Now, now, would I do that to you?" Brown eyes glinting, in sharp contrast to the pale skin, the slate-gray hair. And never mind the fact that he's done it oh so many times before. (A man of the world has needs, you know? It's so easy to forget who's money is in your purse when it's -well- in your purse! Who could blame him?)

No-Shadow John limbers up, somewhat eager to- but then pauses, not one to pass up a chance to make others do the grunt work (plus it's SUNNY out there! What if he starts looking like his father and dimwit brothers, all tanned, farmer-y and *peasantish*?!). "How about we cut for it? Whoever looses has to run the errands." A look at both John and Rust-Stalker, eyes still glinting.

Big John ignores your comments about his cloak and your feeble attempt to assuage his concerns about getting sidetracked.

To the suggestion of cards to do the errands, Big John turns to you and exhales in exasperation. "Put the cards away, kid. We've been over this. I'm the smart one. I get the jobs. Russ is the big scary one. He's the muscle. You're the fast one. You do the running. Now get going!"

Oh, and: "What's the big job?" With some definite eagerness there... Tonight, eh? Not sure he's going to be able to hang on 'til then.

"Our benefactor is interested in another item from our 'friends' over at Peace & Light.*" John gruffly explains as he goes over to kick at Tully to get him to stop snoring.

*Peace & Light is the cemetery on the east side of town where this group, apparently, has been doing some grave robbing for this "benefactor." You, John the Dead, have only been on one such job, shortly after you joined, last week. That time included a forearm with some silver and copper bracelets on it. Not worthless, but hardly worth the effort to dig them up. They weren't filled with jewels or anything.

<Assuming some resistance form Big John on the gambling front:
John pushes one of the smaller barrel-chair John's way with a bare foot (stone floor's nice and cool when you're not wearing boots) while gesturing invitation to the table, roguish grin firmly in place now: "Come on, if I'm not going to Damodil's, you got to give me something, right? What if I snap going cold-turkey on any and all gambling like that?" he teases. "That's not healthy, you know Boss man. Not healthy at all." His rumpled and stained 'green roses' deck is somehow already on the table, which it clearly wasn’t before!

(The deck is so-named for the brambly roses crudely inked in green on the back of the cards :)).

OOC: Very nice touch, the "green roses" deck. Like it. :)

Big John isn't having it and gives you a stern glare as he throws a thumb over his shoulder toward the door. "What I 'gotta give you' is a kick in the pants. Get movin'!"

Binder Fred

Rust Stalker turns to you with pupil-less solid amber eyes glinting from the shadows. You only receive a derisive snort from his large canine snout.
"Starting to have my doubts about this whole operation!" decries John as he dramatically flops back down onto his pallet, puffing up a small burst of straw in the process.

It hadn't been too bad in the beginning - exciting even! for the first two weeks or so. And then he'd met the faye- But no! That had *nothing* to do with it, he's quite sure. He's just... bored. Yeah, that's it, bored, jaded already, as befitted a hardened criminal of his long and varied experience (all 50 days of it)! This is just a low spot, that's all. It'll pass -- IF he can get the freaking demonspawn OUT of here in the next thousand years or so!

"A game of Dare then?" Freaking please? says his wide spread arms. "I'll-" Oh he's going to regret this, BUT: "I'll give you two to one-"

Just then <I'm suggesting?> the grorn's jackal-like ears twitch a moment before his friend hears someone entering their hideout through the 'secret' back door. [etc]

To the suggestion of cards to do the errands, Big John turns to you and exhales in exasperation. "Put the cards away, kid. We've been over this. I'm the smart one. I get the jobs. Russ is the big scary one. He's the muscle. You're the fast one. You do the running. Now get going!"
"And Hygarr's the soundtrack man, right?" finishes the grey-haired one as Big John goes over to kick at that worthy to get him to stop snoring.

<Response Big John?>

OOC: Did he succeed? :)

Big John isn't having it and gives you a stern glare as he throws a thumb over his shoulder toward the door. "What I 'gotta give you' is a kick in the pants. Get movin'!"
"Fair odds," glibly agrees the shadowless one, pushing himself up and into a standing position, one foot still on the bed. "Tell you what: one minute. And if you manage to give me a kick in the pants, I'll... I won't complain about the next three orders you give me," with the expression of a cat deliberately dangling a shiny piece of bling in front of a too-curious if fully sentient bird: know your audience, right?

(There's a nice little hole developing in his stomach at the thought of facing John down here, in these cramped quarters... Niiice!)

[sblock=OOC]Note that I have no problem with any eventual contest being decided by DM fiat should it come to that, whether we end up actually roleplaying the opening moves or not. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: [sblock]I'm leaving any "Tully" stuff out for now until Leif is up to snuff. Assume that he did, indeed, stop snoring. haha.[/sblock]

IC: Big John face takes on a decidedly nasty scowl and he pulls the curved Thielitian dagger from its sheathe. "If I manage to kick you in the pants, you'll not question another order...ever. Or, maybe I decide to simply remove your tongue to spare myself your jabber?"

Roll Initiative. d10.
1d10=9

Binder Fred

"Make it five then," shrugs the unshaven young rogue with a roll of his eyes at the theatrics. But then he seems to at least half-mean it doesn't he?! <Correct me>

Some of the playfulness sharpens into something else inside the brown of John's eyes if not yet on his face, widening his pupils, drawing him forward. "Or should I draw my blades too...? Mine are longer, you know." Voice of (spreading, white-toothed) reason... "And longer ranged." Or it might just be youthful folly. (There is definitively something to the way his left hand is placed though...)

Maybe it's time for a new gang-leader?

OOC: Ready action: kick up the short sword on his bed into his hand and point it at Big John if he attacks while still armed. (Figure that might be a use of Slight of Hands?) The move towards his small-of-the-back dagger is a diversion/intimidation attempt. :)

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: There is no "readied action" mechanic in WoO. Just a straight up initiative and then roll to hit. For this lil' contest, I am thinking of it as a simple "challenge" of sorts.

Also, from what you know of Big John, there's no reason to believe he is actually going to cut/try to kill you. hahaha. Just trying to intimidate. Use the flat of his blade and all that. "Subdual" damage, I suppose you could call it. ;)
/OOC

Binder Fred

[sblock=OOC]Not a lot of "flat" on a dagger, but alright. :) That was definitively an escalating gesture though, so see below.

As they've been together for at least a few weeks, Big John should know that John is a Gambler, with a big G. :devil: He'll almost compulsively double down on any vaguely reasonnable bet where the opposition ante's up, until he's in way over his head and it becomes win or die (or, run away with the loot!, of course: he *is* still a rogue): how do you think he lost his soul? :D To reflect that, I added a significant sentence at the end of John's last post, though he's definitively not seriously considering it at the moment.

[sblock= Rules Discussion]
OOC: There is no "readied action" mechanic in WoO. Just a straight up initiative and then roll to hit. For this lil' contest, I am thinking of it as a simple "challenge" of sorts.
"Attempting to surprise his opponent" maybe? Do you use the 2e 1d10 Surprise mechanics?

Got no problems with some sort of Dex challenge to seize initiative, mind you, just thinking that a low-dex fighter or mage should have his chance to surprise his opponents as well, if he tries something surprising. Straight unmodified 1d10 (should the DM deem the action potentially "Surprise-worthy") gives them that chance and is not too bad a representation of the intense complexity of determining exactly what affects being surprised in any one situation. The DM can always apply the old +2/-2 if it's perticularly surprising, well-laid out, overwhelming or situation appropriate (or vice versa). Simple. Old-school flavoured.[/sblock][/sblock]A pause as the two men evaluate each other... <Ball's in Big John's court>

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
John scowls at you, slides his dagger back into its sheathe with a "snikt", points at the door and bellows, "GET MOVIN!"

Binder Fred

Awh, really..? John the Dead shakes his head: "No sense of give and take, that's your problem boss man." No sense of humour either, obviously! (Why does the big guy have to make everything so bloody serious all the time? It's like he's forgotten the meaning of the word fun! Kill or be kill, sure, but do it with a GRIN, right? Right!)

What a letdown!

"Fine, fine..." Insincere surrender. The young human stomps down on the bed with his (previously positioned and now utterly wasted) bare foot, sending his first short-sword twirling through the air and into his opposite hand. The casually extended tip then plucks John's purse from up top the barrel-table and flicks *that* into his opposite hand. "If I get a sun-burn you'll never hear the end of it though," he warns.

Make it - what? - 10 sovereigns and change? Down into his own purse it goes.

At this point provision-getting has *got* to be more entertaining than staying here with Toothy-Carvy, Snory and Uncle Bugbear - he smothers the beginning of a crooked grin - assuming he ever gets there, of course.

* * *​

Minutes later a bandana-wearing, squinting John emerges into the (forsaken too bright) blaze of the sun out front, taking the time to let his eyes adjust. ('Uncle' couldn't ha' chosen a worse day for this, could he? And what a grumbly hour to be out and about to begin with!)

He's now, perforce, sporting a stylish pair of raggedy laced-up boots with too-thin soles (it sucks to be poor), leather bracers are buckled to his wiry forearms (you never know) and a rope belt winds its competently-braided way around his thin waist, secured in place by a big, crudely-shaped black iron vampire buckle, bat-wings half-extended.

Which is pure devil-may-care bravado on his part, granted: you'd think enough people already think he's one of the undead with the whole 'no soul, no shadow' thing (hence "the Dead", one of his more popular nicknames), without putting ideas into their heads... He reflexively tightens the buckle in place: Screw them. If his experience is anything to judge by, you don't *need* a soul: he doesn't feel a wick different than he felt before it happened. Not - a - WICK. (And he's *not* getting a tan just to throw off suspicions either, no matter how many times Hygarr brings it up, alright?)

Now where to first? (As if there ever was any question.)

Subtly grinning to himself, John plunks Hygarr's (just stolen) wide-brimmed hat atop the dark-patterned bandana that holds his unruly (and right now unwashed) gray hair in check, taps it into a rakish angle and strides out into the (much too) bright streets of Threeways, coarse canvas shoulder bag dropping into its familiar groove on his shoulder (for 'provisions' -- or, you know, his winnings: he isn't too picky at this point :devil:)...

OOC: And it's off to Damodil's noodle shop, please. John will 1. try to keep to the shade as much as possible and 2. casually keep an eye out from trouble/the watch or things that have changed/seem out of place since the last time he came through here. Friends and acquaintances will be greeted and beggars/lepers will get a little something from him as he goes by (it's supposed to bring good luck, don't you know :)).

Oh, how much in Big John's purse by the way?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases