An Open Letter to Fantasy Flight and Cubicle 7 -- Cut the "Foreplay" and Give Us the Good Stuff

innerdude

Legend
Dear Esteemed Designers at Cubicle 7 and Fantasy Flight Games,

Hello! I'm very happy to report that I am a proud owner of products in several of your product lines. I have greatly enjoyed using them, and am very happy with my purchases to date.

But when Edge of the Empire was released a few weeks ago, and support for Jedi character concepts were only conceived in vague hints and allusions to future products, something inside of me snapped.

See, I totally get that you're in business to make money, and making money means producing products that people will buy. If you don't sell products, you don't stay in business. Thus, on the surface it seems to make sense that if you have people that are "fans" of your games, they'll buy the products you put out for them. Thus, why shouldn't you, Fantasy Flight, delay the inclusion of Jedi character building mechanics in the third or fourth boxed set for Edge of the Empire?

This is very much the same tactic Cubicle 7 seems to be taking with The One Ring product line. Edge of the Wild was a FANTASTIC release, and I love the system and the cultures included with it. But little did I know that the rest of the core stuff, the stuff EVERY LIVING BREATHING TOLKIEN FAN WANTS TO HAVE IN THEIR RPG, wasn't going to come out for another three years, if ever.

Look Cubicle 7, it's pretty simple---give us the cultures for the Men of Rohan, Gondor, and the High Elves / Noldor, and give us adventures in the places we want to adventure--Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth, Edoras, Helm's Deep. Why are you dragging this out? Yeah, the proposed stuff for Rivendell seems okay, I guess. But believe me when I tell you, we . . . want . . . to . . . play . . . in . . . Gondor . . . and Rohan. We want to wander the forests of Beleriand as high elves, and fight battles against Melkor as Feanor.

Quit messing with us, your customers, and give us what we want.

You too, Fantasy Flight. This is mother-friggin' STAR WARS. STAR WARS = JEDI. Yeah, the whole Han Solo / rogue scoundrel / Hutt-evading-smuggler thing has some appeal.

But we want light sabers. And deflecting laser bolts back at stormtroopers. And cutting off people's hands in space cantinas. WE WANT JEDI. QUIT MESSING AROUND WITH THIS WHOLE, "Oh, we'll get to the Jedi in some expansion in 2018, you know, if we feel like it."

I was all excited about the potential of Edge of the Empire . . . until I found out I was going to have to wait four years and spend another $150+ to get CONTENT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST BLOODY BOOK.

There's way too much competition now. If you string your customers along, we'll move on to other interests. Or decide to just go with one of the earlier versions of the Star Wars RPG that, you know, ACTUALLY HAS JEDI IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So, in conclusion, Cubicle 7 and Fantasy Flight -- Cut the foreplay and give us the good stuff.

Sincerely a gamer more than willing to give you money for stuff I actually want,

-Innerdude

Crothian

First Post
I agree. The more I see from Edge of the Empire the less it looks like a Star Wars game. It is another version of Traveler or Firefly or even Ashen Stars. I'm really surprised on how much that is Star Wars from the movies is not in this book.

darjr

I crit!
I have to agree. I very much don't like this tactic. I originally thought it was a great idea with 40k, now, after trying to put some games together that had different aspects of a couple of them, not so much. Not to mention that, in part, the attempt at 'compatibility' left a couple of the games with a rules system that wasn't quite suited to it's subject material. I also felt like I was buying the DMG and the Players handbook over and over again with each 'setting' book.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I'm part of the group of Star Wars fans that actually likes what FFG is doing and feels that Edge of the Empire is plenty Star Wars-y. Each to their own I suppose. Play the version you like and have at it :)

darjr

I crit!
I can't help but feel that a Star Wars game without support for Jedi PC's is like a a Dr. Who rpg without any support for Time Lord PCs. I get playing without them, or without them being PC's even. But I want to play something like episode 4-6, to me that means possible Jedi PC's.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can't help but feel that a Star Wars game without support for Jedi PC's is like a a Dr. Who rpg without any support for Time Lord PCs. I get playing without them, or without them being PC's even. But I want to play something like episode 4-6, to me that means possible Jedi PC's.

Well, there's one Jedi PC in IV-VI: Luke. Vader, the Emperor and Yoda aren't PCs. But the whole point of Luke is that he's the only one.

Bagpuss

Legend
Yeah do you really need Jedi rules when in the era the game is set there are only three in existence (all of them NPCs) and two of them die in that time.

If the game was set in Episode 1 or during the Clone Wars, or once the New Jedi Order is established then, yes you would expect and need Jedi support.

JeffB

Legend
Dear Esteemed Designers at Cubicle 7 and Fantasy Flight Games,

Hello! I'm very happy to report that I am a proud owner of products in several of your product lines. I have greatly enjoyed using them, and am very happy with my purchases to date.

But when Edge of the Empire was released a few weeks ago, and support for Jedi character concepts were only conceived in vague hints and allusions to future products, something inside of me snapped.

See, I totally get that you're in business to make money, and making money means producing products that people will buy. If you don't sell products, you don't stay in business. Thus, on the surface it seems to make sense that if you have people that are "fans" of your games, they'll buy the products you put out for them. Thus, why shouldn't you, Fantasy Flight, delay the inclusion of Jedi character building mechanics in the third or fourth boxed set for Edge of the Empire?

This is very much the same tactic Cubicle 7 seems to be taking with The One Ring product line. Edge of the Wild was a FANTASTIC release, and I love the system and the cultures included with it. But little did I know that the rest of the core stuff, the stuff EVERY LIVING BREATHING TOLKIEN FAN WANTS TO HAVE IN THEIR RPG, wasn't going to come out for another three years, if ever.

Look Cubicle 7, it's pretty simple---give us the cultures for the Men of Rohan, Gondor, and the High Elves / Noldor, and give us adventures in the places we want to adventure--Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth, Edoras, Helm's Deep. Why are you dragging this out? Yeah, the proposed stuff for Rivendell seems okay, I guess. But believe me when I tell you, we . . . want . . . to . . . play . . . in . . . Gondor . . . and Rohan. We want to wander the forests of Beleriand as high elves, and fight battles against Melkor as Feanor.

Quit messing with us, your customers, and give us what we want.

You too, Fantasy Flight. This is mother-friggin' STAR WARS. STAR WARS = JEDI. Yeah, the whole Han Solo / rogue scoundrel / Hutt-evading-smuggler thing has some appeal.

But we want light sabers. And deflecting laser bolts back at stormtroopers. And cutting off people's hands in space cantinas. WE WANT JEDI. QUIT MESSING AROUND WITH THIS WHOLE, "Oh, we'll get to the Jedi in some expansion in 2018, you know, if we feel like it."

I was all excited about the potential of Edge of the Empire . . . until I found out I was going to have to wait four years and spend another $150+ to get CONTENT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST BLOODY BOOK.

There's way too much competition now. If you string your customers along, we'll move on to other interests. Or decide to just go with one of the earlier versions of the Star Wars RPG that, you know, ACTUALLY HAS JEDI IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So, in conclusion, Cubicle 7 and Fantasy Flight -- Cut the foreplay and give us the good stuff.

Sincerely a gamer more than willing to give you money for stuff I actually want,

-Innerdude

Preach it.

I have owned every incarnation of Star Wars and LotR RPGs since inception. I have refused to purchase either of these new games. It is one thing to offer a basic product with later expansion. But to carve the products up like C7, and FFG are doing? No thanks.

Crothian

First Post
Well, there's one Jedi PC in IV-VI: Luke. Vader, the Emperor and Yoda aren't PCs. But the whole point of Luke is that he's the only one.

No, there are zero. They are movies not an RPG game. If it was an RPG game why couldn't Obi-Wan Kenobi be a PC? PCs do die in campaigns. They also can have complex histories and train other PCs. Vader and the Emperor is the only one I would say can't be a PC because they are the bad guys. Yoda would be a great PC. Sure he doesn't get as much screen time and interact with all the other characters but it would be a fun character to play for a short while.

Edge of the Empire also brings in it seems plenty of Expanded Universe options. Aren't there other Jedi during that time introduced? It always seemed very silly to me to think that every Jedi was successfully hunted down and killed. But at the end of the day it should be up to each individual group on if Jedi are in the game or not. I don't like that FFG went ahead and made the decision for me. It doesn't just mean no PC Jedi but also not NPC Jedi or strong NPC Force users of other cultures.

Remove ads