Leif's 4E Adventuring in Encastulum [OOC 1]

Leif

Adventurer
Goldhammer, I think you have to choose either the State of Protection or the State of Destruction and Guard/Strike can only use the one you choose. That's the way I read that rule, anyway. Anybody else have insight?

Redclaw

First Post
I don't think that's how it works, Leif. Every time I've played or DMed a rune priest, they have access to both runes and they pick as they use a power which one they're using.

The compendium's description says, "Some of your powers have the runic keyword. When you are going to use a runic power, you first choose one of the runes noted in the power—either the rune of destruction or the rune of protection—and then use the power, applying the chosen rune’s effects. The moment you choose the rune, you enter its rune state."

I read that as you can use Destruction this round and Protection next round with the same at-will power.

You might be confusing it with Runic Artistry, wherein they select one of the paths of runic power (wrathful, defiant or serene). That one they only get one of, and GH has chosen the Wrathful Hammer option.

Last edited:

RavenBlackthorne

First Post

RUNE MASTER
Some of your powers have the runic keyword. When you are
going to use a runic power, you first choose one of the runes noted in the
power—either the rune of destruction or the rune of protection—and then use the
power, applying the chosen rune’s effects. The moment you choose the rune, you
enter its rune state. You remain in that rune state until you enter another rune
state or until the end of the encounter.
Whenever you enter the rune state of
the rune of destruction or the rune of protection, you gain an additional
benefit. The benefit lasts while you’re in the rune state.

Emphasis mine. To be honest, it works so differently from any of the other classes in that choice that I didn't get that at first, either. I think of them like the stances I have, except it's in the execution of a power that you can "shift" between them.

Scotley

Hero
Sorry I have been MIA of late. The back to school season and a bit of craziness at work have put me behind. Should be sorted out this weekend and I'll be more active.

Leif

Adventurer
So how do we want to do this? Do the PCs know each other already or not? Is the adventuring company already formed or not?

Redclaw

First Post
What about meeting at a ceremony to remember our respective parents' contributions to the defense of Encastulum? It would be an interesting way for agents of the government to size up the next generation of potential heroes, while showing them the benefits of serving.

Leif

Adventurer
What about meeting at a ceremony to remember our respective parents' contributions to the defense of Encastulum? It would be an interesting way for agents of the government to size up the next generation of potential heroes, while showing them the benefits of serving.
That works very well. In fact, it can be a memorial service for all of your parents who died catastrophically and suddenly on their last mission. That scenario is just bristling with plot hooks! There must be some other ideas, too, though.

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
Leif's 4E Adventuring in Encastulum [OOC]

Dad??!! Noooo!!!

Love it. I'm guessing that some, if not all of us have met in some capacity before in the court? And there seems to be a few of us that came from nomadic clans so trade may have happened/is still happening.

Maybe some of us trained together? That's written into Ghavdrash's character and mine but no reason that can't be extended.

Remove ads