What makes a Star Wars RPG?

Since that other thread has lost its discussion component and is distracting from discussion of Edge of the Empire, I thought I'd ask a broader question: what are the minimum elements to make up a Star Wars RPG?

Please list the critical things you think necessary (or critique someone else's list). The list should be as short as possible -- if one of the elements on the list is deleted, then you no longer have a Star Wars RPG.

Here's my list:
- Starship combat
- Multiple intelligent alien races
- Droids
- A great, galaxy-spanning government
- An alternative to the government that is a source of conflict
- An ungoverned outlaw fringe with wretched hives of scum & villainy
- A mystical Force that binds the galaxy together

Kitchen sink fantasy with an over arching narrative and theme.

It pulls a lot from sci-fi tropes, obviously, but it's not truly science fiction...it's space opera! It also draws from:

- WW2 war movies - particularly airborne dogfights.
- Lord of the Rings and other fantasy literature.
- Dune and other sci-fi stories.
- 1930s Pulp adventures, especially Flash Gordon.
- 1950s Samurai movies, like The Seven Samurai.
- 1950s Westerns and 1960s Spagetti westerns
- Fairy Tales and Christian allegories.
- Roman history.
- Joseph Campbell's A Hero with 1000 Faces.
- Contemporary politics and allegories.
- Anything else!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I think both of your lists pretty much sum it up for me. I was always more interested in the fringe and seedy-underbelly aspects of Star Wars than anything else. Since the prequels come back, I have serious ethical issues with the Jedi and while being a lightsaber-wielding magic-expy-powered awesomeness would be fun, I think they're VERY challenging to properly fit into an RPG party. Even in the movies, full-fledge Jedi are usually off on their own doing their thing while the "mundanes" do something else. Splitting the party like that is really hard to do well in an RPG.

I like the Bounty Hunters and obstructive bureaucrats and wiseacre spacers running around smuggling, rescuing Princesses and getting into trouble.

Remove ads