Part One: Edge of Anarchy
Part Two: Seven Days to the Grave

OOC Thread
Rogues Gallery

[sblock=Map of Korvosa]
Korvosa 13.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Harrow Points]
In this adventure, Harrow Points are tied to the suite of Books, linked to Intelligence. You can spend a Harrow Point for any of the following effects:

Intelligence Reroll: You can reroll any one Intelligence-based check but you must abide by the second result.

Flash of Insight: Spend a Harrow Point to make a skill check in any untrained skill, and gain a +5 bonus to the roll.

Arcane Wrath: Spend a Harrow Point to increase the strength of an arcane spell. The spell gains a +2 save DC, +4 to caster level to overcome spell resistance and a +2 bonus to any attack roll needed.

Unspent Harrow Points from previous adventures now only have these effects (not the Dex or Con ones from before).
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Several weeks pass following the events in the Hospice of the Blessed Maiden. Mamusia Lela and Brindom manage to effect a cure from the notes of the Urgathoans - seemingly certain families of Varisians expressed a natural immunity to the disease, which Davaulus was working to overcome.

The streets are quiet and empty. Large losses from the plague and a general weariness to disaster have cowed the citizens, so the patrols of Grey Maidens have little to do to keep the peace. And then, one night, they burn the bridges.

All connections between Old Korvosa and the rest of the city are cut off. Only the stone Montlare Bridge remains, and here the Grey Maidens construct a stone barricade and maintain a heavy guard day and night. The official reason is to quarantine the last pockets of blood veil.

Whatever the reasons, the effect is to plunge Old Korvosa into anarchy. The Arkona family remain locked away inside their palace. With no law enforcement the various factions of Old Korvosa's underworld erupt into internecine violence. Boule of the Cerulean Bortherhood is rumoured assassinated. The Sczarni burn Eel's End to the waterline but Davargo Bavarsi is nowhere to be found. Then the Sczarni begin turning up dead. Meanwhile gangs of thugs roam the docklands, looting and burning what they can. The reputation of the inhabitants of the MerCauthon Orphanage keeps anyone away, but many neighbours are not so lucky.

After a couple of weeks, things begin to settle, but not get better. A figure known as the Emperor of Old Korvosa rises to the top, like scum, and his thugs are better armed and more organised than the thugs of the other contenders. Order is maintained, but it is still the rule of might by the Emperor's heavies rather than the rule of law. News of what is happening in the rest of the city is hard to come by. The Undercity of Old Korvosa is largely seperate from that of the mainland, and it seems that even here the Grey Maiden's have closed off any connections. Old Korvosa stands alone and forgotten.

Until a pseudodragon alights on a high window ledge of the Orphanage. In its slender jaws it bears a long red hat. Old Jeremiah lets the creature in excitedly, and calls everyone together. As the creature coils on the table, like a contented cat, a tiny boy, a halfling child, climbs out of the hat.

"Tada!" says D'jhan. "It's me! Miss me?" He opens the mouth of the hat and calls inside. "You can come out now." Climbing out of the hat comes Marshal Kroft, blinking in surprise.

"I need your help," she says. "Korvosa needs your help."

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Welcome back, Dj'ahn, Majenko." Edmond greets old friends in his serious manner. Then stiffens as Marshal climbs out.

"Of course, Marshal. Whatever you need."

Kaodi

Hero
On a night not long after the defeat of Andaisin, Ignatius slumbers:

A huge, ornately carved gate in an equally huge wall looms before Ignatius. The ifrit does not recognize it, and something about this place is not right: the sky is not right, more like a burning orange than the blue he is accustomed to.

While he looks around, suddenly there is a loud creaking noise and his attention snaps back to the gateway. It parts down the middle, and swings inward. Behind it, pulling it open is a towering figure in a muted green robe.

The figure has skin like red fire, and two full horns jut from his brow. Ignatius is filled with wonder, but it soon turns to bewilderment as he realizes the figure otherwise looks almost exactly like him. Is this... Is this what he would look like, as a true efreet?

"WELCOME, IGNATIUS," the figure says in a booming voice as a dark smile cracks its visage.

The ifrit opens his mouth, but no sound comes out. Then everything, the figure, the gate, all of it, wavers and flickers and suddenly in a rush distorts and flows into Ignatius' open maw as if it were a great wind he we sucking in, and everything goes black.

-------------

Ignatius lets out a long breath as the Marshall climbs out of the hat. "It is a relief to see you again, Marshall Kroft," he says. "Despite our best efforts, things do not seem to be going well in Old Korvosa. But I am guessing that if you are here, you have some sort of plan for us."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Manachan considers the arrival of their old friend and the Marshall for a moment before replying. "Of course, Marshall Kroft . . . we'll help in any way we can."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Manachan Aingeali
Male Aasimar Monk 2 Sorcerer 5
LG Medium Outsider (native)
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +16
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 17, flat-footed 18 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 50 (2d8+5d6+7)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +11
Defensive Abilities evasion; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Masterwork Bata +6 (1d6+2/x2) and
. . Masterwork Silver Dagger +6 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed strike +5 (1d6+2/x2)
Ranged Heavy crossbow +5 (1d10+2/19-20/x2)
Special Attacks flurry of blows +0/+0, heavenly fire (8/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Corruption Resistance (vs evil, 1 hr/lvl on self)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 7):
2 (5/day) Resist Energy, Glitterdust (DC 17), Scorching Ray, Raiment of Command
1 (8/day) Chill Touch (DC 16), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Grease (DC 16), Bless
0 (at will) Resistance, Touch of Fatigue (DC 15), Daze (DC 15), Read Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 15), Jolt
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 20
Base Atk +3; CMB +3 (+5 Grappling); CMD 20 (22 vs. Grapple)
Feats Arcane Strike, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Expanded Arcana (Sorcerer), Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 17), Weapon Finesse
Traits Magical Knack (Sorcerer)
Skills Acrobatics +6, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +6, Heal +8, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (religion) +4, Perception +16, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +6, Use Magic Device +10; Racial Modifiers +2 Diplomacy, +2 Perception
Languages Celestial, Common
SQ ac bonus +4, bloodlines (celestial), stunning fist (stun), unarmed strike (1d6)
Combat Gear Extend metamagic rod (lesser) (3/day), Smokestick (4), Thunderstone (4); Other Gear Crossbow bolts (20), Heavy crossbow, Masterwork Bata, Masterwork Silver Dagger, Silver Crossbow bolts (5), Headband of mental prowess (Wis & Cha +2), Grappling hook, Sack (10 @ 15 lbs), Silk rope, Trail rations (8), 3653 GP, 2 SP, 7 CP
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Corruption Resistance (vs evil, 1 hr/lvl on self) (Sp) - 1/1
Crossbow bolts - 0/20
Extend metamagic rod (lesser) (3/day) - 0/3
Heavenly Fire (8/day) (Sp) - 0/8
Masterwork Silver Dagger - 0/1
Silver Crossbow bolts - 0/5
Smokestick - 0/4
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 17) - 0/3
Thunderstone - 0/4
Trail rations - 0/8
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
AC Bonus +4 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Celestial Summoned creatures gain DR 2/evil.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Extend metamagic rod (lesser) (3/day) Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat, allowing the user to apply metamagic effects to spells (but not spell like abilities) as they are cast. This does not change the spell slot of the altered spell. All the rods described here are use-activated (but casting spells in a threatened area still draws an attack of opportunity). A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod's wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast.

Possession of a metamagic rod does not confer the associated feat on the owner, only the ability to use the given feat a specified number of times per day. A sorcerer still must take a full-round action when using a metamagic rod, just as if using a metamagic feat he possesses (except for quicken metamagic rods, which can be used as a swift action).

The wielder can cast up to three spells per day that are extended as though using the Extend Spell feat. Lesser metamagic rods can be used with spells of 3rd level or lower.

Construction
Requirements: Craft Rod, Extend Spell feat; Cost 1,500 gp
Flurry of Blows +0/+0 (Ex) Make Flurry of Blows attack as a full rd action.
Heavenly Fire (8/day) (Sp) Ranged touch attack deals 1d4 divine damage/healing
Improved Grapple You don't provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling a foe.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Magical Knack (Sorcerer) +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 17) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex) At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This conditio
Unarmed Strike (1d6) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
--------------------
Silken hair the color of spun gold; eyes the dark blue of deep ocean but shot through with silver; skin the hue of milk with just a hint of chocolate. Manachan was a sensation among his much darker Varisian clan – plainly proof that their kapenia showed true and that their line was descended from divinity.

The Aingeali clan claims descent in direct line from Irori himself, though the claim has been disputed by many. The birth of Manachan, with his very unusual coloring, has been taken as proof by his parents and others of the clan. In many ways, the young man had a charmed childhood.

However, the pressure on him to live up to his ancestor’s divine example has been tremendous, and has led to great internal conflict between the wild ways of his nationality and the discipline espoused by his perfect ancestry. In an effort to resolve this conflict, Manachan left his clan at the age of 13 to enter a small monastery devoted to Irori. He has spent the last four years there, training relentlessly and learning that the path to perfection requires, for him at least, a balance between freedom and discipline, and carefully maintained contradiction between his clan’s nature and his ancestor’s teachings. Adding to his difficulties, about a year after entering the monastery his sorcerous abilities manifested. The instinctual nature of his magic disrupted even further the strict discipline required by the teachings of the monks.

Now 17 and finished with his studies at the monastery, Manachan has found that balance and been released into the world to continue his struggles toward perfection. A confident, outgoing young man with an easy humor and tremendous ability, he has found it fairly easy thus far to make his way.

Now at loose ends and with no instruction other than to find his own way to pursue his perfection, Manachan resolved to return to Korvosa – he had met a young scholar (Edmond) there on one of his errands for the monastery and they had struck a fast friendship. He was fascinated with the life of the sprawling city and decided that learning more of it would provide him some valuable lessons for his path.

Manachan dresses in dark, smoky oranges and forest greens, typically wearing a narrow kilt like wrap from the waist down and either going bare chested or donning a simple tunic – depending on weather and social requirements of his current location. He keeps his hair tied in a ponytail. Other than eyebrows his body is completely lacking secondary hair. He wears his bata strapped to his back, along with his crossbow. All of his other belongings he carries in a sack – to be dropped at a moment’s notice in case of a need to defend himself.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi loiters at the back of the room, arms folded and leaning on a door frame. She tries not to show how surprised she is at two people coming out of a hat. "So are your goals and the city's goals one and the same then? Or are you asking for help for yourself first, and the city second? But do tell, why should we help a city that pretty clearly doesn't want to help us? I haven't seen the outside of the Old City for weeks. A girl gets a little bored y'know, and starts to wonder whether its personal..."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Exasperated look greets Mhairi questions, but Edmond doesn't comment. It is after all OUR city and he will help it whether the city wants it or not. ;)

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kroft glances at Mhairi.

"Both," she says, before making herself more comfortable.

"The Queen has disbanded the Sable Company, saying that the Grey Maidens can perform their duties. It's only a matter of time before the same happens to the Korvosan Guard. Marcus Endrin, leader of the Sable Company and Acting Seneschal, has vanished. The Queen is now advised by the new head of the Acadamae, a mage called Togomor."

Old Jeremiah snorts. "Togomor!" he says angrily. "He's the one who cost me my eyes. The mages of the Acadamae have always flirted with summoning demons and devils. Togomor would outright consort with them."

The little pseudodragon raises its head and its voice sounds telepathically in the heads of all gathered in the kitchen. There has been an upsurge in imps recently, he says. My people are kept very busy these days.

"I need you to find Vencarlo Orisini. Not long before Old Korvosa was quarantined, he told me that he'd found out something about the old Seneschal, Neolandus. Those of you who were here the night old King Eodred died may recall that Neolandus disappeared the same night. Many suspected he had a hand in the King's death, others that he knew something and was killed, or ran away. Whatever the truth, I think Vencarlo got close to it. He said Neolandus was still alive. Find him, find out what he knew.

"Korvosa is dying under the rulership of Queen Ileosa. Furthermore, the Shoanti are massing in the Cinderlands, rumours are for an invasion of the lowlands, and the city is too weak to defend itself, let alone its territories. The Seneschal has the power to declare a new ruler. Maybe..."
She trails off. "I should return before I'm missed. D'jahn, Majenko?"

D'jahn cocks his head as if listening to something, but it isn't the Marshall.

"What? But he'll lose them. He doesn't ... oh... okay," he says. He turns Manachan and hands him a battered looking deck of Harrow cards. "Zellara says I should give these to you," he says. "But I need to show you how they work. Here." He lays out a column of three cards. "This is the past, for good and for ill." He lays another column, "This is the present, for good and for ill." He lays a third column, giving a three by three square. "This is the future, for good and for ill."

He regards the cards. "You must let the cards guide you," he says to Manachan. "Listen to Zellara, she'll help you with the meanings. See the past. The Midwife, the start of a new life, the Liar, new relationships, the Vision, arcane knowledge. We have thrown off our old lives, defeated Gaedren Lamm and those who would oppress us, gained new knowledge and new skills by working together." He gives Manachan a dimpled smile. "See, it's easy. Now, the present. Look, that's me, the Bear! Remember, Edmond? That means brute force prevails, pretty sure that's the Grey Maidens. The Tangled Briar means that old evils are at work, wonder what that means, and there's the Theatre, that's an unusual one, means that there's a prophecy at work. And now the future. The Teamster, the Dance and the Owl. You will be led on a dance by external forces, but if you can see through the lies of the creature that is half-man, half-beast, you can prevail. If not, you will dance to its tune forever."

The tiny boy gathers the cards up again and shuffles them. "Now the Choosing," he says. "One card each."

Edmond draws the Wanderer, Ignatius the Inquisitor, Manachan the Snakebite and Mhairi the Hidden Truth.

"Edmond, the Wanderer, the centaur, half-man half-beast. Looks like you'll come face to face with the beast-man who is making you dance. Mister Fire, the Inquisitor is a servant of the gods. What happens when the servant of one god meets the servant of another? Manachan, I see men with the heads of insects who fight with poison. You must use your wits to defeat them. And for the Pretty Lady, I see another lady, one with the face of a beast, whose face is hidden, who hunts you in the dark."

D'jahn seems to come back from a trance-like state. He solemnly hands the Harrow deck over to Manachan. "Look after Zellara for me," he says.

[sblock=OOC]
You have all gained another Harrow Point. If you didn't spend any from before you can add it to your total. In this adventure they have a different effect, which I'll add to the first post.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi sighed as the little guy finished his card reading. "I don't know anything about a lady with a hidden face hunting me but, well, I can't argue that the city is dying. This isn't the place it used to be. I'll get my stuff..."

With that, she left the kitchen tying her hair back into a ponytail and unbuttoning her blouse. She returned shortly, armour visible beneath an unbuttoned blouse, utility belt with weapons over one shoulder. Dropping the belt to the floor, Mhairi looked quizzically at Kroft while she continued dressing in the kitchen. "So, this Orisini. What's he look like? And where does he live?"

Kaodi

Hero
Ignatius comments slyly, "Well, I can tell you what happened last time I encountered another servant of a god I did not like."

Remove ads