Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Escape From Old Korvosa

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Sorry, should've read more carefully.

"If you need a place to stay, there is a house of safety in Old Korvosa. You probably know of it already and now that the plague is past, talk to Kester, see for yourself. Right after you deliver us to Vencarlo. I hope you learned something from this." Edmonds voice doesn't sound really welcoming (it rarely does), but his intentions are good regardless.

Dr Simon

Explorer
The boy shrugs.

"Yeah, whatever," he says. "So, you comin' or what?" He leads the group to the edge of Fort Korvosa, where dirty tenements huddle against the remains of the old walls, and to the end of an alley between two houses boarded over and painted with the red X of plague, where the smell of mildew and neglect is strong.

A figure hops down from a wall, hooded, cloaked and moving with a swagger. As it comes closer to the end of the alley you can see a stubbled chin under the hood.

"These was looking at the house," says the boy. "They made me bring 'em here."

The man turns his hooded gaze on the boy for a few uncomfortably quiet moments, and then he laughs, harshly.

"Lucky for you I saw you coming," he says. "Don't you know who these are? These are the Heroes of Korvosa." The boy looks blank. "Saviours of the City from the terrible scourge of blood veil."

The boy sniffs.

"Din't do much good for me mam and pap, or me brother and sisters, nor aunt and uncle and cousins neither."

The man turns to the group.

"Please forgive Boil for his insolence," he says. "I know for a fact that his father drowned in the Jeggare River whilst drunk over four years ago. So, the Heroes of Korvosa, looking for Vencarlo Orisini. He's not at home. What do you want with him?"

[sblock=OOC]
For those who have met Vencarlo Orisini before, this doesn't seem to be him unless he's very good at disguise. Which he might be.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

"And who might you be? Why would be tell you when by all we know you could work for The Maidens? Besides, last time we needed to chat with someone, certain girl, he'll remember, she ran and almost killed herself in the process. Didn't help her, she still chatted with us. And we helped. So, if you know where he is, take us there and he'll fill you in if he trusts you. If not...treat the boy well, he will understand one day.

And why did you have Orisini place under surveillance anyhow? Maybe you work for that crime boss that emerged from thug fights around here?"

The tone of the voice doesn't change. The speed of it either. You could easily fall asleep if it told you a nice story. Right now? Not so much. Especially with slow measured steps toward the man as Edmond speaks. He stops, barely outside of his personal space.

OOC: So, I'll be the bad cop, someone needs to be a good one :)

Axel

First Post
Mhairi slides closer to the urchin and slips a gold coin into his hand. "Thanks Boil. Go by yourself a hot meal and make yourself scarce," she says quietly with a smile. "Drop by if you need a bed," she added and ruffled the boy's hair. Stepping aside from the main conversation, Mhairi cast her eyes about again - discretely this time, to see if anyone was watching the watchers.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
The man spits.

"You won't catch me working for that scum," he says. "I'm surprised, Edmond MerCauthon. Don't you remember me? You were so entertaining at knivesies." He casts back his hood to reveal a hard sallow face, close-cropped hair and cold, green eyes. The most striking feature, however, is the tattoo of a spider web that takes up much of his neck and face on one side.

"Devargo Bavasi," he says. "King of the Spiders they used to call me. Now fallen on some hard times." He shrugs. "You're looking for Vencarlo Orisini. You're not the only ones. I know where he can be found, but I was waiting for someone to come looking for him so I can strike a deal. I think I know how we can serve both our interests in one go."

[sblock=OOC]
Edmond is the only party member to have dealt with the Spider King before, but Mhairi knows him by reputation from her former life in the Korvosan underworld, and the others will have heard talk of him in recent events.

He once owned a group of ships moored in Old Korvosa Docks that catered to all kinds of illicit pleasure - the House of Clouds brothel, Twin Tigers gambling hall and the Dragon's Breath drug den. Lording over it all, untouchable by official channels, Devargo Bavasi. He was also a dealer in other people's dirty secrets, and the sole source of the drug shiver. All that ended a few weeks ago when Eel's End was burnt to the waterline.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

"Erm, sorry, didn't recognize without bunch of mooks that need slamming into the table. Sorry about your business. People work hard at something, but here and there gods reminds us that everything can go up in smoke in an instant.

What kind of deal? And why do you think we couldn't find Vencarlo without you?"

Axel

First Post
Mhairi smiled inwardly. How the mighty have been brought low. Though gloating won't get us anywhere...

The half-elf crossed the space to the old Spider King and put her hand on his arm sympathetically. "You poor man. Watching your life's work go up in smoke would make anyone bitter and angry. Yet here you are, still dealing in information like nothing happened." Mhairi smiled coyly and asked "what dirty little secret are you looking to trade for this time?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Devargo flashes Mhairi a shark-like smile and pats her hand, but he speaks first to Edmond.

"You could go looking for the sword-swinger yourself," he says. "And I'm sure you'd find him... eventually. He might even still be alive by then. I can help you get there faster." Now he looks back down at Mhairi. "It's my dirty little secret this time, darlin'. I know how to find Vencarlo Orisini," he says. "And I'm willing to give this one as a freebie, on one condition. I come with you."

Neurotic

Emond frowns
"Why? If you need him and know where he is, you could go to him anytime. Unless you're planning something bad in which case we don't want you there. You working for the maidens on promise to return you to your former glory?"

Suspicions. Suspicions. Hard to live down bad rep. :)

"Mhairi, what do you think? We put out a word, we want him , alive just to be sure, for a nice sum and someone gets us some info. Or we deal with this one?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I'm not interested in Orisini at all," says Devargo with his shark smile again. "My business is with the people who've got him." He shrugs. "If you're not interested it's nothing to me. Oh, but then I could also tell you about the other people who are looking for your friend."

Remove ads