New Doctor to be announced Sunday

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He's in the 50th anniversary special in November as a "forgotten/hidden" incarnation between Paul McGann and Christopher Ecclestone who did bad stuff and got disowned - at least that's what it looks like so far.

The shots I had seen showed him in the same costume as McGann - that typically means it is the same Doctor, or a new Doctor just after his regeneration. So, it may be that he's playing the same iteration as McGann, who has just been around long enough to age. Unless you have some script-level intel?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The shots I had seen showed him in the same costume as McGann - that typically means it is the same Doctor, or a new Doctor just after his regeneration. So, it may be that he's playing the same iteration as McGann, who has just been around long enough to age. Unless you have some script-level intel?

It's all guesswork and clues. Opinion, nothing more. He's wearing McGann's waistcoat and Ecclestone's leather jacket. And there are screens shots of exploding Daleks in a very time-war kinda way.

Matt Smith said in the last ep that that incarnation didn't take the name of the Doctor because of what he did. My guess (it's a common guess, to be fair) is that he ended the time war with genocide.

Oh, and McGann has also filmed *something* but we don't know what. I've heard rumours his regeneration into Hurt will be a mini-ep "prequel" before November.

But John Hurt actually said so a couple of months back; I can't find that quote to save my life, though! One of the costume designers said so, too.

But, yeah; we don't know. And the Who producers do like to misdirect. Moffat swore at ComiC Con that the search for the new Doctor had only just begun, and yet they're announcing it on Sunday, so I don't believe *anything* they say.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He's wearing McGann's waistcoat and Ecclestone's leather jacket.

Ah. I'd noted McGann's waistcoat and cravat. I hadn't noted Ecclestone's jacket!

My guess (it's a common guess, to be fair) is that he ended the time war with genocide.

I thought that the Doctor ended the Time War with genocide (or, as close to - by putting a time lock on the Time Lords and the Daleks) has already been stated in-series.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah. I'd noted McGann's waistcoat and cravat. I hadn't noted Ecclestone's jacket!

I thought that the Doctor ended the Time War with genocide (or, as close to - by putting a time lock on the Time Lords and the Daleks) has already been stated in-series.

Yep; that's not in question. The question is whether it was McGann or Hurt, and just how much fire and killage also occurred.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Of course, the Doctor has a special relationship with the Daleks- even though he passed on the opportunity to wipe them out in the Tom Baker era, he DID trick Davros into sending the Hand of Omega into Skaros's sun, making it go nova, then homing back to the Dalek's ship to destroy it (during the Sylvester McCoy era).

So he had tried genocide on the Daleks before. He just "got it right"- or at least got more of them- during the Time War.

So whether that was actually enough to have him not take u the mantle of "The Doctor" is...an open question, to say the least.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
He killed the Timelords as well as the Daleks and probably a whole lot of innocents too, so yeah it was genocide of at least two entire species including his own

and personally I'm still sticking with Hurt is he Valeyard theory

and Capaldi is 55 which iirc was the same age as Hartnell making him the eldest new doctor by a wide margin

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He killed the Timelords as well as the Daleks and probably a whole lot of innocents too, so yeah it was genocide of at least two entire species including his own

and personally I'm still sticking with Hurt is he Valeyard theory

and Capaldi is 55 which iirc was the same age as Hartnell making him the eldest new doctor by a wide margin

Much as I'd love that, it won't be Capaldi, I don't think.

Herschel

Adventurer
I like how Paul McGann has stated directly he was away working and hadn't even visited the Doctor Who set. Which set, the one where the pictures were taken of the Zygon, etc., the brand new Cardiff set, the old Cardiff set and it's not like there are dozens of other places they could have filmed his bits.

I also find is strange that Capaldi is the same age Hartnell was when he first aired in the role. Hartnell looked like he was in his 70s. Troughton was 46, Pertwee 51, Tom Baker was 40 when he started but all looked older. Different times also, I guess. Colin Baker was also around 40, so was Eccleston, McCoy was the same age as Colin Baker so 43ish, Tennant and McGann were 37 IIRC so Peter Davidson and Matt Smith are fairly prominant outliers while Baker, Baker, McCoy, McGGann, Eccleston, Tennant and maybe Troughton were the "norm". .

Remove ads