D&D 5E 02/08/13 New playtest packet to released today. [Udate: PACKAGE OUT!][

Blackwarder

Adventurer
In the last ten seconds of Scoundrels OD&D Skullport live stream game Rodney mentioned that a new playtest packet is on its way, so check your inboxes.

UPDATE: it's out! The playtest page haven't been updated but you can download it right now by clicking on the download packet bottun.

Warder

Last edited:

n00bdragon

First Post
Thanks WotC for teaching me that there is in fact a 260 character limit to file directory paths in Windows. Some of the things that adventures folder are nested far too deeply.

And despite fatigue, I'm reading it again.

Observations thus far:
- I've reviewed so many documents now I don't know what changed this time versus last time, and the "read me" is no longer as specific as it used to be.
- Like change back to Mage, but they needed to do a find/replace on the whole document.
- Must have missed the prior change to Halfling "Lucky" racial trait ... that's pretty powerful!
- Still haven't addressed Human +1 to all attributes ... I still think it is too much.
- WOW -- huge bonus to knowing a field of lore (+10). Let's hope that getting additional proficiencies isn't easy or it will swamp the skill system.
- Skills were removed, but I still see references to spot and listen checks? Ah, wait ... they're under ability checks. So we've essentially reverted to an entirely ability-check based system, with the exception of what was a "Knowledge" skill. I think that can work -- quite streamlined. But I need to see how this module interacts with classes.
- Looks like resting hasn't change, which will be controversial still.
- You can cast in armor, as long as you're proficient. Is that new? Though looks like getting proficiency might be hard, as I don't see an armor proficiency feat (which might impede customization)
- Barbarian: "Other proficiencies: Riding" Is this a legacy item? With skills removed, what does this mean?
- Feats: I think I like the trade between Ability Improvement (easy, simple) versus Feats (more flavor, but more complex). Wow, some of the feats do a lot (Arcane Archer as a feat). They seem to be improved packages over all, though future feats will take some careful watching for balance.
- Rogue: OK, what happened to picking pockets and opening locks? They aren't listed under ability checks, and rogues don't seem to get better at opening locks. So a rogue thief would not seem to be any better at thieving than a mage thief (maybe that's a good thing?). Trap finding I've got as a Wisdom/Search check. Wait -- they're in the DM section under ability checks, not the "how to play" section under ability checks. And open locks references a feat that doesn't appear to exist.

Cursory: not bad, seems to be more streamlined. The document needs some serious review for cross-referencing and proofreading, though. They didn't get all of the deletes.

I'll be looking forward to feedback from people playing at Gen Con.

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm also reading it despite the fact that its 2am in here.

So far I really like the cleric divine intervention, the rules for criticals still seems meh.

Warder

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases