• 2015 - 3rd Qtr. (Jul - Sep)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2015 - 4th Qtr. (Oct - Dec)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2016 or later

Votes: 2 2.8%

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I bet they will publish the basic product at GenCon.
If they do that, they might catch any minor bugs with the final product before the standard game is released.

Then again, I doubt they would get a good reaction from the fans by forcing them to play basic 5e for half a year before they can get their usual D&D again!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Me thinks Basic Rules around April/May next year and the Standard Rules at GenCon.

And after that we'll see optional expansions (Advanced Modules) each month for the next two years.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I would love it if they would launch a product akin to the 1991 black box that a kid can open and learn to play on his own ( I loved the Dragon cards) and than keep playing with the basic rules followed a couple of months later by the standard game.

Warder

mhensley

First Post
Edit: I should note, though, that the rpg.net version of the poll is running almost exactly the same results as here, although the comments are much more pessimistic.

Yep, I put up a version there just to see what the difference would be. The posters there are generally pretty negative about the whole thing.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
If i was to guess i'd say a Basic D&D Box will be released at Gen Con 2014 and the Standard Core Books at Christmas in December 2014

Warbringer

Explorer
I still think Standard at Gen Con, Basic at Xmas, at least for PHB. DMG and MM may come for Xmas in Standard.

I also don't think they will change the 3 book rule set.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
If Basic and Standard are a single product, I think we'll see that at Gen Con 2014. If they're separate, then we'll probably see Standard first, then a Basic boxed set later. Boxed sets take longer to assemble, and Gen Con attendees aren't the primary audience for such a product.

Kinak

First Post
My guess is, and has been, GenCon 2014. I wouldn't be shocked if they released it with a little lead time, but by GenCon.

I would find it hard to believe that they'd spend three GenCons in a row without anything to sell. But I also would find it hard to believe they'd go two GenCons in a row without anything to sell, not even having a booth in the exhibit hall the second time. So maybe my instincts are off.

The Basic vs. Standard question is interesting. If Basic is going to be a boxed set, it makes sense to wait on it because the production time is longer and the target audience is more on the Christmas time frame. The only real reason I can see pushing out Basic at GenCon is because a lot of people would buy it, then buy the core books that may not buy the Basic set otherwise.

Cheers!
Kinak

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I would place all of my money on Christmass next year, with a masive prerelease campaign starting on September (if not as early as GenCon 2014). Of course it will be Basic Rules first, then Standard on GenCon 2015, and Advanced by Christmass 2015. Let's face it the whole point of Next is to have a Basic Set box that they can distribute through Walmarts and toy stores. Only that way the can manage the cash flow they desire.

Remove ads