• 2015 - 3rd Qtr. (Jul - Sep)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2015 - 4th Qtr. (Oct - Dec)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2016 or later

Votes: 2 2.8%

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
They did with 4th, which I guess is Mark's point.

And 3.5. They like to get the books in the hands of folks before the convention season because you'll have pre-orders to handle, you don't want to have folks complaining that they either went to the convention to get theirs first nor that the folks who went to the convention got them before the pre-orders, nor do you want the nightmare of either having too many at the convention nor running out. Additionally, you'll have plenty of folks buying the sets for pre-orders but if you're not releasing them until the convention then folks coming to the convention that do the pre-order won't get books in time to bring them and will spend the whole convention bad mouthing WotC for putting them in that position. There's no real good scenario.

Furthermore, tons of folks coming to the convention with books in hand and ready to play means that those few who don't buy them early can be helped by the players at the table with books, and they'll know how the books are organized. That further increases the likelihood of those without books buying in heavily while there (full sets rather than just one tome).

There are countless reasons why you want to release them before the convention season even begins and few advantages to waiting until any particular convention to sell them. Additionally, if you want 2014 to be as big a year as possible financially, you want more than four months of sales on the books.

Plus, they want staff at the convention running games and making those with books feel good about their purchase rather than spending the whole convention trying to sell as many books as possible. They want press from the convention not to be about a bunch of people buying books, and them running out or having tons left over, but of a huge gaming party that anyone who didn't come missed out on.

Now, my June 6, 2014 date isn't when I think they necessarily will release the new edition, nor do I say they won't release it at Gen Con 2014. I am saying that they *should* release it before the summer and they'd be nuts to wait until Gen Con. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases