Elysium

GSHamster

Adventurer
Anyone seen Elysium yet? How is it?

Also, how is the shaky cam? I had to leave the theatre when watching District 9 because I got so nauseated from the shaky cam. Don't really want that to happen again.

Joker

First Post
There's a thread below with a couple of reviews but that one has spoilers.

I absolutely loved it. There have been so many poor blockbuster movies these past few years. Marvel movies (excepting the Avengers), Micheal Bay movies, f****** Prometheus, Pacific Rim and so on, it was refreshing to see a movie like this. I loved all the details in the tech, the characters were great and performed very well, the action sequences are beautiful and so are the effects*.

I felt the story was well developed with good pacing, which is also very refreshing. While it followed the Formula, I was so immersed in the story and characters I didn't notice or care.

However, a lot of people felt the theme of haves and have nots was done in a hamfisted way or didn't like the way it was developed at all. Personally, I thought it was well done.

As for the shaky cam, I couldn't tell you if it was disturbing. I'm a big fan of the technique since I first saw it in Saving Private Ryan so now I don't notice it when it's used. But if I think hard most of the shots are filmed with a steadycam. So you get the fluid movement of a first person view without the jitteriness. There are a few scenes where it looked like the camera was attached to the subject being filmed but I think something was done in post to make it look rather smooth. It still turned out a bit shaky, though.

I'll put a more complete review in the spoiler thread below when I get some time.

And thank the gods it wasn't it 3D. Thank you, thank you very much.

* On the effects; You will rarely see such good CGI where you know it has to be CGI. The compositing of the images is superb.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
Here is my unspoilered checklist of the film:

Cinematography - Great
Direction - Spot on
Acting - Terrific
Set Design, Art Direction, Special Effects and Production Value - Freaking fantastic
Action Sequences - Exciting
Not So Subtle Ethical and Political Stance - Matches my own
Story - Made absolutely no sense when tied in to the rest of the movie

Remove ads