Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder -- Increase range of spell from Personal?

koesherbacon

First Post
Is there a feat which increases the range of a spell from Personal to Touch or Close? I know there's Reach Spell (Metamagic), but that doesn't mention anything about Personal.

For instance, if I were playing a Diviner, could I make True Strike effect another person by using any metamagic feats?

Thank you!

Last edited:

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I own or have read most the PF books and I do not recall any such feat/class/PrC that would allow that. I most certainly don't recall any like that in 3.5. If such a feat (etc.) does exists, you can bet it's in a 3rd party book. Honestly there is a reason why a good number of those spells are made personal. (+20 to hit and possible confirm crit for the wizard is not nearly as deadly as giving it to the party's melee powerhouse.) For the most part personal spells are meant to be a temporarily fix the various flaws casters generally suffer from, such as being weak and squishy. Hell, unless you have crazy high stats, built yourself to be a casting grapple monster, or have so much gold you have multiple sets of gear to cover every situation you can think of... the spell Resinous Skin* is a waste on most casters. But throw that onto any melee character who took Imp Grapple and its a whole different story.

I do, however; have two solutions to this problem.
1) Create an item that casts the spell on the user as a swift action. (Or just make it a constant effect.)
2)Use the following rules www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Creating-a-Spell to make a "new" spell that does the same damned thing, but with the range option you want. Generally speaking, I would give the spell a 1 to 3 level bump from personal to close, with close being the maximum range allowed. (For your example of True Strike I would add 1 lvl for touch or 2 lvls for close.)

*http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/resinous-skin

Remove ads