Legacy of Death Part VII: Little Granny knows Hades

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
A strange bone gate appears before them. A sort of fence made of boney post with skulls atop them surrounds something unseen in the mist. It has a gate. Though nothing physical blocks them from going between the posts.

They take the gate. Disappearing in puffs of smoke as they do. (And avoided ending up separated at random locations.)

They enter a small chamber that could be that of a peasant women. With a cat. Except that the cat is telepathic. And the knawed bones next to the stove may come from humanoids. (And the stove is a few centuries ahead of what you would see in Thraeya, but the well traveled characters hardly notice.)
They are pretty sure they are in fact in Baba Yaga’s hut, afterall.

They climb up a latter to the “attic”. Another telepathic cat! Guarding a chest. The cat is quite, quite bored guarding the chest, and so also begins chatting. They learn that the cat can die…and come back stronger. Over and over again. So they talk it into letting them carry the chest and its items—a useful gem of seeing and somewhat disappointing ring of invisibility—as long as it comes with them.

guardian familiar.jpg

They go up out of the attic. They find themselves in a cross-shaped chamber that surrounds a start filled abyss. Or, actually, as Sim realizes, a plane filled abyss, as it is the Sea Beyond the Stars. The chamber has many exits. They stop going up and start to circle. They find luxurious quarters built around a strange space with stranger energy (which they do not really understand)… a very plain chamber with curtains so heavy that none can move them…a grotto lined with dazzling crystals.

They find their way back to the chamber with the drop into the Astral. From there they start climbing up again…up into the dirt lined cellar. They go up one more time, and emerge back where they entered with the first telepathic cat.

This time, they try the door. They enter a grand hall with six translucent glass like statues and elaborate tapestries made of gold, platinum, mithril. Forge decides he wants one and starts pulling it down. The statues attack, shooting beams of energy. (At some point the arcanist make the link between the red, orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo statues and energy beams and the know almost forgotten prismatic ray and sphere spells (which in turn are some of Jack Vance’s more direct contributions to D&D)). The statues keep shooting, even as the tapestries start to unravel and the others try to shut them down. At some point they just leave, with Forge worse for wear (though not turned to stone or insane, which were very real possibilities).

nagpa.gif

And immediately enter a room with a spectacular throne made of red quartz. And two oddly noble vulture-people sweeping the floor. They parley. The band attempts to convince them that they know Baba Yaga and need to meet her. They almost have them..but then don’t. Most of the party walks onto the trapper. In the ensuing fight the vulture-people don’t last that long. The huge trapper gives a scare—especially to Buckthorn, but then slinks off to recover from its wounds.

They try to rest and recover. Then—like strangely normal people—realize that just standing around for five minutes doesn’t really make them feel better. A devious effect of the Hut!

First they head to the place open to the Astral Sea. They think things are more “normal” here. But that’s not good enough for Nar. So they take a door and are in the well-appointed quarters again. The chairs and cushions call.

Then Natasha enters:

“So, I have visitors I see”

Nar, Sim? and one other (Forge)? has still not benefited from a short rest.

20120520113929.jpg

Link to the last thread
Link to the OoC thread

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Before Nar tries to intimidate anyone again, Simorai bows and introduces himself, Simorai Calborian at your service.
In the picture there is a whirling nightmare of things/demons? behind her, she’s holding something (a holy symbol?), there is what appears to be a large centipede? crawling on her and a large bee? on her shoulder, if any of these things are visible to Simorai, he checks for magic (Arcana - 37).
OOC – A young girl named Natasha is in some of the traditional folk tales about Baba Yaga. The girl is sent by her evil stepmother to be eaten by Baba Yaga. But though various acts of kindness, the girl is able to escape. But from the picture, this does not appear to be the same Natasha.
Simorai tries to recall any connection with a woman named Natasha and Baba Yaga (History -30).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The picture is more impressionistic. (Though a mirror could be nearby). She could be a human adopted or abducted by Baba Yaga. She may not eat all those children.

"I see". "You carry the blood of a genie...and maybe from the City of Brass...maybe a slave here for some reason?" "A slave without a master and me, a poor orphan without her mistress".

Jin Abackis

Explorer
We are all bound in one way or another but some chains are not visible and some are not wise enough to appreciate it. For example, what keeps a poor orphan girl without a mistress here? Perhaps we can be of assistance. In exchange, we can use a place to rest, information and a bit of cheese for our cat.

(Note: Simorai and I think the warlord made their saves for the short rest.)

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Let us dispense with the coy pleasantries. Your mistress likely did not choose you as a ward because of your sweet and innocent disposition. We are hunting death. Our path leads through this hut onto Hades. The journey is long and filled with obstacles. Compensation will be given for useful Information on the best path.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
(Cant get orange text on the ipad)

You are clearly very insightful. But I was a mere child when I came here. I know little as to why I was spared.

I have to admit that in this strange place there are those that come to and from Hades, perhaps more then anywhere else. But I would never seek it out before my time. I know not why any mortal would.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
It’s said that only the good die young – you must have been lucky. Nevertheless, you must have also learned your mistress’ secrets well. Undauntedly, you verbally toy with a group of bloody adventurers and casually discuss visitors from Hades.
Since you seem to unwilling to share any of your secrets and require no assistance or rescue, we will trouble you no further. However, as you know knowledge is a valuable thing. As a sign of good faith, I will share some concerning your question as to why a mortal would want to go to Hades: It may be a path to ascendancy; we hunt our death before it kills us.
In exchange for this enlightenment, would you be able to direct us to one of these visitors from Hades or the portal they use?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
She shrugs.

Honestly, I have little idea who you are or what 'secrets' you might wish to posses. This little hut visits many places, with many secrets.

She glides about the party members.

You are an odd bunch...I have to admit. A terra class world, but with a thin firmament. Though not too thin.

She eyes all of you. Winks at Buckthorn.

Looks at the ion stone circling Nar's head and whispers you might want to use that.

If you want those from Hades, I think some are close by. You can try from there--points at the door leading to the room with the curtains that could not be open--go straight across to the visible door. This ultimately leads to the baths. Then you take the next visible door, you have to find it, accross from that one. Actually a straight path, at least by the standards of this place.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases