Give the drummers some!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Dioltach

Legend
As a non-drummer, the only drummer I've ever really appreciated is Alex van Halen. He manages to make a drum solo appealing on Balance.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Bozzio's great (though I think he's actually post-Mothers), another Zappa alum who's fantastic is Vinnie Colliuta. Also in my drummer pantheon are Steve Gadd, Stewart Copeland, and of course the inestimable Neil Peart.

But the drummer who's been really at the top of my list for the past several months has been Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. Here's a sample:

[video=youtube;LMGGE2AdGZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY[/video]

[video=youtube;99ATD9vTHSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ATD9vTHSE[/video]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Bozzio's great (though I think he's actually post-Mothers),
You're probably right about that. He and the rest of Missing Persons were all on Joe's Garage, which is a post Mothers lineup.
...another Zappa alum who's fantastic is Vinnie Colliuta.

Yes.

Also in my drummer pantheon are Steve Gadd, Stewart Copeland, and of course the inestimable Neil Peart.

Yes to all of that!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
You're probably right about that. He and the rest of Missing Persons were all on Joe's Garage, which is a post Mothers lineup.

Actually Vinnie was the drummer on Joe's Garage, though Warren Cuccarullo and Patrick O'Hearn were on Guitar and Bass respectively. Terry and Dale both put in vocal performances.

Terry did play on Sheik Yerbouti and the Baby Snakes live album though.

I've always thought Missing Persons gets mistakenly dismissed as an ephemeral New Wave band. But if you listen to the whole of Spring Session M, it's a very musically intricate and complex set of songs.

Herschel

Adventurer
But the drummer who's been really at the top of my list for the past several months has been Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. Here's a sample:

Gavin Harrison's sticks are really weird. I was looking for a new stick with a little more length and heft. I usually use Dave Weckl Signatures (L = 16 1/4" | Dia. = .560") and the gal at the shop suggested the Gavin Harrisons (L = 16 7/8" | Dia. = .630") so I grabbed a pair. The weight on them is very front-loaded. Imagine, in D&D terms, comparing a well-balanced sword or staff and comparing it to a heavy-headed mace on an elongated handle.

They're cool, but they feel very different.

Remove ads