Wearable tech

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You're at least the second person in this thread to mention carrying a knife around with them as part of your regular pocket loadout....I'm fascinated.

I know a bunch of IT guys who, as a matter of course, have to be opening shipping boxes or computer cases every day. Most of them carry around a pocketknife or multitool (which is often called a "knife", even though the blade isn't the main function) as a regular thing.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I know a bunch of IT guys who, as a matter of course, have to be opening shipping boxes or computer cases every day. Most of them carry around a pocketknife or multitool (which is often called a "knife", even though the blade isn't the main function) as a regular thing.

Suitably Rural. They're called server farms, after all. ;)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Instead, go look at LG's Tone+ headphones. Again, not to advertise, but these things are completely UNLIKE traditional headphones (earbuds + cord), earpieces (ear nozzle+boom), ear muffins (ear pieces with band). The Tone+ is a step in the right direction as it is a completely different form factor worn around the neck, with ear buds that reach up. The main body has the sockets for holding the ear buds in place when not in use.

Okay, got me curious enough to order one to try out. ;)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I just paid a few thousand not to wear glasses, now you want me to buy them again? I hate wearing a watch, males my arm itch. I used to carry one in my pocket, but now I have a phone.

Janx

Hero
You're at least the second person in this thread to mention carrying a knife around with them as part of your regular pocket loadout....I'm fascinated. Don't get me wrong, I like a good knife, have several, some even appropriate pocket knives.... but I don't carry one with me on a daily basis. I guess I'm just too much a product of the suburbs -- not urban or rural enough to feel naked without a knife. ;)

Now, if you wanted to talk about fountain pens....

-rg

I've carried a pocket knife since I was like 12. Including every day in school. While I'm not ancient, I clearly got through the system before the world changed. The airport security really chaps my grits due to 9/11, as I used to be able to fly with my knife.

Nytmare

David Jose
I live my life far too tied to time. Granted with the work I do as an assistant director, time is the primary resource I utilize and manage; but even so, I couldn't imagine trying to live my life with knowledge of the current time being the extra added couple of seconds away on my belt instead of being a wrist flick away.

I probably won't be in the first couple of waves of Google Glass users, but I'm certain that I'll be on board shortly thereafter.

As for a smart watch, I'd imagine that I'd jump on board right away. At least as long as the device works as well as my standard watch. My number one complaint about my (albeit antiquated) smart phone is that it works atrociously as a phone.

I can see uses for a smart watch, especially if it doesn't just connect to cellphones but has Bluetooth options. I don't have a cellphone let alone a smartphone but it would be nice to control my iPod from my wrist and be able to connect to my iPad to pull data from it if needed

Google Glass is a little lame at the moment, but it's the equivalent of the horrid '80s cellphones. It's the first step of new technology. Someone needs to break ground and get the process started, and Google is as good a company as anything.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases