Advice on buying a tablet

Asaris

Explorer
I'm starting to think about buying a tablet, probably something lower end. Just seems like it would coming in handy for a lot of things, not least gaming. So I was wondering if people here had any advice about what tablet were good for gaming -- probably the most important thing is that it's able to do a good job with pdfs. I run ACKS, a B/X close, fwiw.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
What type of gaming? At this time, I still think the best tablet on the market is the iPAD but Windows 8 is coming and it has a lot of options going for it.

1. buy the most you can for your budget.
  2. docking stations are a good thing to have.
  3. look around and window shop - while a tablet is nice don't go overlooking laptops.
Side by side review:
http://tablets-review.toptenreviews.com/

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
If you care about reading books on your tablet, particularly in the open .epub format, I'd recommend this review from the Project Gutenberg webmaster on the Kindle Fire (to summarize, he or she doesn't like it, and recommends the Google Nexus 7 instead).

I agree that the top of the line iPad is probably the nicest hardware on the market, but I still recommend going Android instead. Android is going to have a lot better options in "budget friendly" price range, especially if you want a larger screen (which should be a huge factor if pdfs are you primary goal). And if you're planning ahead, you really need to base your decision more on the infrastructure you're buying into than the hardware. IMNSHO, Android is also going to give you a lot more versatility and customization. Android is also a must if you want to use a wide variety of e-reader formats in addition to pdfs.

Janx

Hero
If you care about reading books on your tablet, particularly in the open .epub format, I'd recommend this review from the Project Gutenberg webmaster on the Kindle Fire (to summarize, he or she doesn't like it, and recommends the Google Nexus 7 instead).

If you're going Android, get a Google product (the Nexus 7) or the newest Samsung Galaxy-whatever series.

Anything less will be a craptacular disappointment as Android isn't well supported for updating firmwares.

basically, you can't go wrong with those devices, compared to all others on the market.

The Kindle Fire might be a nice alternative (and it is coming from a major player).

I like my iPad 1 just fine (though its getting a bit old, it shows that the core product is sufficient). Numbers is what I use to manage my character sheet (spreadsheet app). I use the built-in PDF reader for reading PDF rulebooks, and the web browser for d20SRD.org for rules.

Generically, I recommend the Nexus 7 for folks wanting Android, and iPad for those wanting to spend a bit more. Namely because, unless you are a tech head (who already knows what they want and why they need it), you don't need to go outside either of those 2 products to be happy*.

*obviously, somebody with a specific situation and need in mind gets my attention to consider what will best suit them. Most people aren't in that boat.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If you want freedom at all, like links open in chrome.....go Android. I have an iPad, it is a great tablet. But it costs more, and you can feel locked in a bit......I love my Android phone.

While many games are available on both, many of the iPad versions ate better.....but for the money and power, Android is a better choice. I would go that way next time.

jcayer

Explorer
I did a bunch of research before settling on my ASUS Transformer Prime. I'm really happy with it. At the same time, a couple years ago we picked up a pair of original Kindle Fires for our daughters. They use them constantly(mostly games) but do enjoy them...easily worth the $200 each(Christmas Presents). If I had to do it now, the Nexus 7 would be my pick...at least for a 7 inch tablet.
The best deal you can get right now is on a Nook from Barnes and Noble. The 16 gig Nook HD+, with 9 inch screen is $150! After the firmware update, it gives full access to the google play store, which gives you access to pretty much every android app. The only negative is no camera. It's a great device, we picked one up for my wife and I will have to pry it out of her cold, dead hands.
Apparently, we're an android tablet family....ironically, we both have iPhones.
Good luck with your choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases