Make a monk/sorcerer not suck.

Empirate

First Post
Why do you even want to mix those two specific classes? After all, classes are just an out-of-game concept to provide us with options when building our characters' mechanical aspects. So who do you envision your character to be, capability-wise and where his/her role in and out of combat is concerned? That's the question(s) you need to answer first.

Spells plus some kewl stunts plus some unarmed martial prowess seems to be (on the surface) what your question implies you're looking for. It may be that the best mechanical representation of that idea or concept is not a Monk/Sorcerer, but a pure Sorcerer, a Sorcerer/Rogue, or even a Cleric or Oracle or Inquisitor or something. I believe a Sorcerer (dragon bloodline)/Dragon Disciple, reflavored as you see fit, with the right spell selection, might pull that off, and be just as effective as a pure Monk in combat, if entirely different mechanically. So might a Wizard/Fighter/Eldritch Knight, though.

So what's your role?

(of course it's entirely possible you just want to play around with the mechanics of the specific class combo you mentioned. In which case, I can confidently tell you: doesn't work, sorry)

Akillion

First Post
I would be inclined to work with your DM to make a prestige class and a couple of feats to help you out. The character should end up no more powerful than an Eldritch Knight as a guideline.

KradNevar

Explorer
I have indeed found a much better way than quinggong monk. Aasimar monk (sohei) 1/sorcerer (empeyreal bloodline) 1/Eldritch Knight x. I have not gone crazy. The folks at Paizo have stated that spell like abilities from race or domains, etc. can count as "Ability to cast x spells of x level or higher" for purposes of qualifying for prestige classes. That means that the aasimars's daylight spell like ability allows early entry into eldritch knight. Sohei monk grants all martial weapon proficiencies, so that takes care of the other prereq. Some DM's may not allow this for home games, but it is PFS legal.

Silver I am looking into this as a potential candidate for my next build. Would you be willing to share your build? My email is ncthunderson@yahoo.com thanks Mitch.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Are you building in D&D, PF, or some kind of other 3.x RPG? What material can you use?

If you want to do some looking yourself, check the Monk an Martial Arcanist links in my sig.

Tim Freerksen

First Post
Well, anything that includes "monk" is definitely suboptimal to begin with.

Not really, monks are always slowburners. They are suboptimal in the beginning but eventually become very powerful, especially with some monk only items.

The big problem with a Monk/Sorcerer is the fact that charisma is completely irrelevant to a monk while it is needed for a sorc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, if you’re worried about MAD’s effect on your spellcasting...

You could always take a bunch of spells that don’t depend as much on Cha for efficacy, while using the spell-channeling Sorcerer or Reserve feats that fit your PC concept while providing some combat utility.

Remove ads