airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (OOC)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've been thinking of getting back into the PBP world and running a PF campaign using one of the classic PF adventure paths. I have:
-Rise of the Runelords
-Curse of the Crimson Throne
-Second Darkness
-Legacy of Fire
-Council of Thieves
-Kingmaker

So if you are interested in joining a new PBP PF campaign, I am looking for six interested players. The players will vote on which adventure path they'd like to play and I'll run the one which is highest on everyone's priority list. If you are interested, post here with the APs you would be most interested in playing, in order or preference. Please include only those you have not played or run before (of course this being an internet thing, I have no way of knowing so it's the honor's system). This campaign will not necessarily be first-come, first-served. I will select players based on which AP will make the happiest six-person party.

I will provide rules for character creation once the AP has been selected, however, I will have to limit things in general to what is available on the PRD, i.e. the one at http://paizo.com/prd/ and NOT the one at www.d20pfsrd.com/. You are free to use the latter for your own reference, but if it does not appear on the Paizo site, it will not be allowed and if there is a discrepancy in rules, the Paizo site shall be the word of authority. This is because I do not own all of the books and would prefer not to introduce 3rd party publisher material. (Also note that because there have been changes and errata over the various editions of the Core Rulebook, I may be required by necessity to make a rules call from time to time. In such an event, I will do my best to be as consistent as possible with any future rulings on the same matter for the duration of the campaign.) As an incentive to keep the game simple in terms of rules glut, players who, whether by circumstance or choice, create characters with the intent of using solely the Core Rulebook plus the official Player's Guide for the selected AP for the life of the campaign will be granted bonus character creation points (or dice if I decide to do rolls) and starting equipment.

Average posting expectancy for this campaign will be at least three substantial posts (a complete paragraph of 3-5 sentences at minimum) per week or one post per 48 hours. This is, of course, barring exceptional circumstances, such as the website being down, extended travel plans, etc. So please do not express interest unless you have reasonable expectations of being able to participate with that level of frequency. In order to encourage active posting, experience will be awarded differently from the traditional manner in this campaign. After each encounter (whether combat, challenge or roleplaying) I will award experience on a player-by-player basis based on the quality and quantity of a player's posts in that encounter. And because I know not everyone is a master wordsmith, points will be awarded for effort. Experience points will also be scaled as the campaign difficulty increases.

Players will need an Obsidian Portal account (freely available at obsidianportal.com) and be expected to maintain a character sheet on that site.

UPDATE 2013-10-01
Character Creation Rules
1) Ability Scores: 15 Point Buy. Players who opt to use the Core Rulebook only option receive 20 points (see below).

2) Races: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, or Human.

3) Classes: Any available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option.

4) Skills and Feats: Any available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option.

5) Equipment: Maximum starting gold. Any equipment available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option. Characters using the Core Rulebook only option may select one of the following as bonus equipment:
-one masterwork simple or martial weapon and one masterwork light or medium armor
-two wands (25 charges each) of a different 1st-level spell
-two potions of cure light wounds and two potions of cure moderate wounds
-300 extra gp for purchasing equipment

6) Alignment: I will leave this partially to the players. You may all vote on either an all non-evil party or an all non-good party. If it is tied, characters will be non-evil. Egregious violations of alignment will result in one warning only with a further infraction resulting in a change in alignment by one step. If this change in alignment brings your character outside the bounds allowed by the party, the character becomes an NPC and you must create a new character.

7) Pick One Rule: You may select one Archetype (class or racial), Alternate Racial Trait, Favored Class Option, Racial Favored Class, or Trait at character creation. Your choice requires DM approval ahead of time. Remember you are limited to only ONE of these options, so choose carefully if you wish to take advantage of this rule. Further traits may become available through play. In addition to this, you may pick one Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait from the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Player's Guide (free download). Characters using the Core Rulebook only option are limited to one Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait.

8) Vital Statistics: Characters must be of Adult age within the standard range for your race and class. Height and Weight must fall within the standard range for your race.

9) Core Rulebook Only Option: You may opt to play your character using only the Core Rulebook plus one trait from the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Player's Guide. You may also purchase equipment from the original Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide. This option entitles your character to certain character creation benefits but also limits your character to using only the classes, races, feats, spells, and items found in the Core Rulebook. You may still benefit from spells, abilities and items used by allies that do not come from the Core Rulebook, but you may not use or purchase them yourself. If you want a roleplaying rationale, then your character might be a traditionalist who eschews new ways of doing things and distrusts new items and magic. This choice must be made at character creation and may not be changed.

UPDATE 2013-10-15
House Rules In Effect
Cost of Living
Hero Points (see also this post)
Feats of Varisia (page 13 of the original RotRPG) may be selected as bonus feats (one per character).

Links
Obsidian Portal Page
IC Action!

Cast of Characters
Devion Dawn Seeker, NG male human (Varisian) cleric of Sarenrae, played by [MENTION=2469]rangerjohn[/MENTION]
Duko Wrag, N male half-orc summoner, played by [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION]
Marcas Vanator, LG male human (Shoanti) monk (zen archer), played by [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION]
Talashia, NG female human (Varisian) sorcerer (air elemental), played by [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
Vandalin, CG male human (mixed) rogue, played by [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION]
Vhir, CG male human (Shoanti) barbarian, played by [MENTION=30016]SelcSilverhand[/MENTION]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Welcome back AW.

I'd be interested. The only one I've played before (just the 1st module) is CotCT. Council of Thieves might be my 1st pick but any of the others would be fine.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm cautiously interested, though I really do want to limit it to this site if possible. Switching between sites is enough of a PITA that I don't really want to join anymore offsite games...

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Would be happy to have you Shayuri. I would certainly prefer to keep the game here on ENworld if possible. And if I get enough interest here, that is what I will do.

Scotley

Hero
I'd love to play. I am currently running a Kingmaker game myself, and I've got play experience with the first adventures in Council of thieves and Legacy of Fire. I've no unauthorized knowledge of the first three on your list. I can meet your three substantial posts per week requirement and I already have an account at OP and have characters hosted there. I will be happy to play from the Core Rulebook and the Players Guide that fits. My preference would be to play here. If player count is an issue I am sure I can drum up a couple good EN World players to join this game.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well so far I have three interested players on ENWorld and no one has replied to my post on P&PG. Chances are the game will be here. And for those of you who have only played one adventure in a series, as long as you don't mind losing some of the surprise we could keep those as options, especially if you really enjoyed one of them. I might be locking us out of a lot of possibilities if I had to cut people out for only having played one adventure of an AP.

kinem

Adventurer
I also have no problem with starting with a later adventure in a series. I am firmly of the belief that starting at a higher level does not ruin roleplaying. Starting at level 1 and hoping to play through an entire adventure path in PBP is a common delusion; almost no one pulls that off.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases