Silmarillion maps

redwing

First Post
I am currently reading the SIlmarillion. I have been trying to trace the paths of the elves from their creation. Only one map is shown in the book and I am GUESSING that it lies directly below Mordor with references of marching north there.
Where is the home of the Valar? Why do the elves begin the march by the blue mountains all the way up by the shire? Is the Lake Cuvieren (sp??) there?
HOw many continents are there?

Turin Turambar

First Post
The region where the Elves orginated is in the Far East, and it is no longer in existance. Mordor did not exist in the First Age. The upheaval at the end of the First Age created and destroyed a lot of lands... and not knowing if you finished The Silmarillion yet, I will not divulge further.

Counting Aman and Middle-Earth, there are 2 continents, and Tolkien hinted at other lands, but no details were ever given.

The Blue Mountains in the First age were much more imposing, and were a barrier, and the Elves entered Beleriand through these mountains, and around them.

The Lands of the Valar are in Aman, across the sundering Seas, far to the west. Aman was still apart of the world, until into the Second Age, and the Elves were able to sail there. No other beings are allowed there, except for a couple of exceptions.

Karen Wynn Fonstad has published a book called The Atlas of Middle-Earth, which is available at your local bookstore or online. It shows quite a bit of Middle-Earth, including the lands of The Silmarillion, although there are some creative additions, it is, for the most part, quite good.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
:) Welcome to the EN Boards, Turin Turambar! :)

redwing- You might also pick up a pocketbook called The Complete Guide to Middle Earth by Robert Foster. It'll prove handy to cross referencing terms, names, etc as you read through the Silmarillion further and try to keep everything in order. :)

Brudewollen

First Post
Further addition to Turin Turumbar's post,

You will notice if you check the LotR maps, the Blue Mountains remain (only in part I've always surmised) at the west edge of the map, close to the sea. (Firth of Drenghist and Gray Havens area - Jesus, I'm doing this from memory and I haven't cracked these books in several years!) Now look at the map of Beleriand, you'll see the Blue Mountains are at the East edge of that map...yes, they are the very same Blue Mountains.

I won't say any more then that - read and enjoy.

redwing

First Post
ahhhh.....I understand now. They are the same continent just years apart. The way I originally took it was that was the continent the elves were from until they moved into middle earth. But actually they moved from that continent over to Aman and back again.

COuple more questions:

What/where is Numenar?
In the book the Avari stayed at the lake. Was this up in the northwest by the blue mnts.?

Olorin

Into the West
redwing said:
COuple more questions:

What/where is Numenar?

This map shows where Numenor was. It was swallowed by the sea after the Numenoreans tried to invade Valinor.

http://lotrmaps.middle-earth.us/mea/2nd%20age/01SECOND.GIF

In the book the Avari stayed at the lake. Was this up in the northwest by the blue mnts.?

The lake where the Elves awoke was in the far eastern part of Middle-Earth. This map shows Cuiviénen:

http://lotrmaps.middle-earth.us/mea/1st%20age/03FIRST.GIF

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
redwing said:
ahhhh.....I understand now. They are the same continent just years apart. The way I originally took it was that was the continent the elves were from until they moved into middle earth. But actually they moved from that continent over to Aman and back again.

COuple more questions:

What/where is Numenar?

Nobody really knows. I've never seen anything by Tolkien that firmly established where Cuivienen was. The maps from the Fonstad book are really nice, but are rather speculative on some points.

Daniel Torres

First Post
maps of middle earth

Your best bet is to aquire the Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad originally published by Houghton Mifflin Company Boston 1981 This book is excellent, it gives you a short history from the Silmarillian then LotR and even the Hobbit who went where and how. A must for any Tolkien fan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases