[LotR:TTT] Sets record, blah blah blah

From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- J.R.R. Tolkien's diminutive hobbits are box office giants all over again, as the second installment in the "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy set a record December one-day gross of $26 million in U.S. theaters.

The debut of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" shattered the previous all-time box office benchmark for a single day in December, set last year by its precursor, "The Fellowship of the Ring," at full story...

Bhaal said:
26 million in one day? Wow.

The scary part is this record only has a lifespan of 364 days :)
LOL! Exactly! My kids went this year; may have to drag the wife next year, too, to make sure the record is shattered. :D

KenM

Banned
Banned
From what I understand, FELLOWSHIP made almost 890 milion in theaters, not counting DVD and video sales. It cost like 325 million to make all 3 movies. A movie usally has to make twice as what it cost to make to be considered profitable.That means everything else pulled in money wise for new line is profit. :cool:

jdavis

First Post
A total cost on a movie is alot more than just the cost to make it, not to mention only a percentage of what a movie makes is what the studio makes, part goes to the theater. I don't know the percentages off hand, and I think they change from movie to movie.

Fast Learner

First Post
Bah! I hate box office records. Of course the records are broken nearly every year: tickets cost more every year. Big shocker.

I want to see records of tickets sold. That would be meaningful.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
jdavis said:
A total cost on a movie is alot more than just the cost to make it, not to mention only a percentage of what a movie makes is what the studio makes, part goes to the theater. I don't know the percentages off hand, and I think they change from movie to movie.

I studied film for 5 years, so I know a little about this. Theaters make most of their money from concessions. The percentage they keep from the actual take fom the film is surprisingly small, almost nil, at least in the first few weeks. The longer a film remains in the theater, the larger the percentage of the take the theater keeps. However, since most films nowadays don't stay long in the theater, one can see that theaters don't make much off them. And you can also see why movie theater food is so expensive, and why they don't want you bringing in your own. Plus, it's also the reason why commercials are now shown in theaters, and why theaters often have arcades or souvenir shops.

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
Fast Learner said:
Bah! I hate box office records. Of course the records are broken nearly every year: tickets cost more every year. Big shocker.

I want to see records of tickets sold. That would be meaningful.
You're right, but you could adjust the gross for a normalized ticket price to get a fairly good comparison.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases