SotS's War of the Burning Sky campaign

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Also, I assume all healing potions are being kept? Is there a post with a running total of our potions and wands?

I didn't take out the healing potions as group items because they seemed more of a personal-use thing than a wand of cure light wounds. (Also, a few have been used already, I think. I was waiting to see the costs of used potions deducted from people's loot, might have to search the chat logs to check on this now :( )
I can certainly deduct them from your loot if you think they should be group items.
As for wands, those usually are just put on the character who holds it and charges tracked on their token.
I will again suggest the group shell out some money on healing wand(s), you won't have time to leave the castle area and come back once you start.
Tansley hasn't posted in this thread about purchases yet, but mentioned in an email that she'd like the group to pay for some material components for Revivify or Last Breath. The spells that you cast a round after someone dies to save them from dying w/o long-term penalties (revivify is like raising, last breath is like reincarnate and was used on Torrent; revivify's materials cost twice as much as last breath's).

firehorse

First Post
One more thing, guys! Now that you all have lots of wondrous items being worn, can you please list them by body slot location at the top of your equipment list, or just after the magic arms and armor if you prefer. Include a line for each slot, even if you have no item for it currently (except for the Body slot, you can only use robes if not wearing armor, so leave that off if it doesn't apply to you).
Like this (if you use mythweavers, just put the body location in the "Loc" line and put the locations in order at the top of the list):

Arms:
Body*:
Face:
Feet:
Hands:
Head:
Ring1:
Ring2:
Shoulders:
Throat:
Torso:
Waist:
*Only include if you're not wearing armor

Zayed, the anklets have a market price of 2300. You sell them back for half that, 1150 gp.

The Enlarge Person potion price is a misprint from 3.0, I think. Back in 3.0, Enlarge Person increased your size by 10% per CL, up to 50%, and there was no mechanical effect till the 50%, so the potion was priced for CL 5. Since in 3.5 Enlarge Person increases your size right at CL 1, you should be able to pay 50 gp for a CL 1 potion.

The Horn of Resilience is part of the item set that the helm of tactics is in, which you got from the Ragesian commander's corpse. I rolled to see if it'd be available at the monastery (there were very poor odds of it) and it is not. Please feel free to purchase something else for Torrent.

Everything else is fine. Please list page numbers for MIC items you'd like from now on, I had to search the index tables for some of those b/c I was not familiar with them.

Fixed here and on stats post...

firehorse

First Post
I agree about the wands and healing potions should be group items as well as costs for the spell components. Let's agree that in the future at least we horde those and remove them from the loot split.

That being said, Torrent and Zayed have used more than most lately and can (Torrent at least) chip in a little extra to cover the extra use. Let me know what that is and I will deduct where possible.

begooler

First Post

Buyback
Gloves of Dex 2,000 (from Kalinah)
Cloak of Resist +2 (2,000) from Kalinah
Boots of Agile Leaping (300; Use Dex instead of Str on Jump; 5 balance ranks: stand as swift w/o AoO)
1 Exotic military saddle (30 ) (Assuming Phet could wear, though it’d be encumbered by most medium riders)
Zephyr Shirt (4250; +1 natural armor, +2 Constitution, +5 Escape Artist)
Ring of Protection +1 (for Phet) 1000
Gauntlets of Strength +2 (2000)

Purchase new: Wand of blinding spittle (4500)

Group healing prescription:
Revivify components (Insta-raise-dead, no level loss, no turning into a gnome) (1000)
Wand of Lesser Vigor x2 (750x2=1500)
Wand of Cure Light (750)
Shared between 6= 541 gp and 66 silver each
+what SOTS said= 1002.38

Tansley
Arms: Wand Bracer
Body*: open
Face: open
Feet: Boots of Agile Leaping
Hands: Gloves of Dex +2
Head: Headband of Wisdom +4
Ring1: Protection +1

Ring2: open
Shoulders: open
Throat: Chronocharms
Torso: Vest of Resistance +1
Waist: Healing Belt

Phet:
Arms: open
Body*: open
Face: open
Feet: open
Hands: Gauntlets of Strength +2
Head: open
Ring1: open
Ring2: open
Shoulders: Cloak of Resistance +2
Throat: open
Torso: Zephyr Shirt
Waist: Healing Belt

Keeping but not currently wearing: Cloak of Resist (+1)

Does Phet not have any of those slots? Sometimes non-human creatures are weird.

Left from loot haul after purchases: 29 silver
GP total: (+651, 91 silver previously)= 652 g, 2sp

Did not factor in the potions because I don't remember where we ended up with that.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure Roslyn will want the Greater Piwafwi, which is the shoulders/cloak slot. Her new build means she'll be taking d6 fire damage multiple times per round.

Phet can wear the saddle. But he's bipedal and ill-suited as a mount, so anyone riding him takes a -5 on ride checks, as per the first line of the Ride skill description.
I think Phet would get all of the slots, he's effectively human-shaped. Whether or not he should lose the benefits of them when in Whirlwind form, I'm not sure.

Everyone ok with Tansley's group buy requests? That would be 541.67 gp each (541 gp, 6 sp, and 7 cp). Two wands of lesser vigor and a wand of CLW might be a bit excessive, though.
And I guess if you guys want the potions (6 cure serious, 6 cure moderate, 3 cure light) to be party loot, that would mean 3225 less total gp, or -460.71 gp per person (split 7 ways since TWR is included for the loot split, but not any new purchases you guys make now). Decide who's carrying which potions, then.
If you want all of the above as party loot, that's -1002.38 gp each.

StarswordX

First Post
I am fine with sharing the price for the raise dead things. And yes, potions should be kept just as much as wands. We would just have to divided them up whenever we get them. In the middle of battle, sometimes there is no time for someone else to use a wand.

Also...I think I was claiming loot incorrectly, so I have edited Kalinah's loot claims. I think the only one I got rid of was the Blast Globes. Those things are pretty good, so someone should grab them. But I do not have the GP to do it.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Also...I suppose I should make sure I understand how claiming loot works. I was going under the assumption that claimed loot is deducted from the GP total before it is divided to the group. But, I suspect now that we are supposed to subtract it from the amount given to us. In which case, I can't claim nearly as much stuff.

When you claim something, you pay for what it would have sold for. A Charisma +2 item would be 2000 gp, for example. Whether it comes from your share of the loot or money you had saved up before hand or a combination doesn't matter. You're basically replacing the item with an equal amount of gp so that everyone still gets the same amount of treasure as if you hadn't taken the item.

Let's use a very simple example with that same Charisma +2 item. The total value of all the loot for a party of five people is 15,000 gp. So each person gets 3000 gp. You say you want that cha +2 item, so you toss 2000 gp into the pot and take the item out of it. In the end, the total still is 15,000 gp and everyone still gets 3000 gp. But you also lost -2000 gp and gained the item. So in the end, you got 1000 gp and the item.
I know it sounds complicated and you wonder stuff like "do I get a split of my own additional money to the pile?" and such. But it actually works out like that pretty simply. The amount you end up adding in negates the value of what you take out and it all works out in the end.
Also, I think you understand this part, but the benefit to claiming an item from loot is you're basically getting it at a 50% discount compared to just buying it from a store. And since you're paying the sell-back price for loot, you can always just sell it back later and get all of that money back. So (aside from expendable items that you use, in which case you got your money's worth), there's basically no downside to just claiming a bunch of stuff that might prove useful vs. keeping extra coins in your pocket, once you've bought whatever you absolutely wanted.

Last edited:

hopla

First Post
Hey, Ros here. There's three items I could use/want. The Gloves of Dexterity(Kal wants these too, so maybe we can figure something out.) The Greater Piwafwi(Tansley wants this, but you mentioned if I wanted it you might forfeit it?) And the Zephyr Shirt (Tansley wants this too, but I'd gladly not take this if I could get he Piwafwi instead.)
A bit of thought, maybe we should keep the Blast Globes as party weapons, and take turns or something. They're really useful.
Other than that I don't see anything that I'd be interested in.

Scottbert

Villager
Buying the ring +1, the amulet +1, the globe, the cords, and the boots of sidestepping, and increasing my vest from +1 to +2. Net gain 2585.5 gp left from share.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The long-awaited Whirlwind houserules

First of all, I'd like to know why Phet's save DC is 23. The large air elemental in the SRD has a DC of 16, based on 8 HD and Str 14 (10 + 1/2 of 8 + 2). Phet's sheet says he has Str 16 with an item, but still only 8 HD. And I see no Ability Focus. So shouldn't his save DC be only 17?

This outing has been pretty interesting. Comparing Vortex to Whirlwind, it's obvious the former copy/pasted the latter (it even calls it a whirlwind in places!) and oddly...is just plain weaker. The Casting DC of being in a vortex is lower than being in its cloud of debris for some reason. And everyone gets a save to escape, not just swimmers, which makes me feel more justified in allowing all in a whirlwind to get one. Anyway...here are my changes from the original version (strikethrough = removed, bolded = added language):

[sblock]Whirlwind (Su)

The elemental can transform itself into a whirlwind once every 10 minutes and remain in that form for up to 1 round for every 2 HD it has. In this form, the elemental can move through the air or along a surface at its fly speed. Entering this form is a standard action, and each round while in it, the elemental must spend a standard action to either maintain or dismiss the whirlwind.

The whirlwind is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top, and up to 50 feet tall, depending on the elemental’s size. The elemental controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet and a maximum of 20 ft + 10 ft per size category above Small. Greater and Elder Elementals have a maximum height of 60 ft.

The elemental’s movement while in whirlwind form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the elemental enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it touches or enters the whirlwind, or if the elemental moves into or through the creature’s space. If a whirlwind contains any other creature, it moves at half speed.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the elemental might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (see table for details) and may be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed on a Reflex save when it comes into contact with the whirlwind or take the indicated damage. It must also succeed on and then make a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking the indicated damage each round. Creatures only need to save against these effects once per round, regardless of how many times the elemental enters and exits their space. A creature that can fly is Creatures are allowed a Reflex (DC 10 + ½ HD +Strength modifer) save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful. Flying creatures can fly out, others fall to the ground. The DC for saves against the whirlwind’s effects varies with the elemental’s size (see the table). The save DC is Strength based.

Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the whirlwind. Creatures caught in the whirlwind can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the whirlwind and take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The elemental can have only as many creatures trapped inside the whirlwind at one time as will fit inside the whirlwind’s volume.

The elemental can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the whirlwind happens to be. A summoned elemental always ejects trapped creatures before returning to its home plane.

If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the elemental and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment.

Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

An elemental in whirlwind form cannot make slam attacks and does not threaten the area around it. Creatures outside the whirlwind attempting to attack any creature caught within it have a 50% chance of hitting the air elemental instead (treat this like firing into a grapple; Improved Precise Shot and Seeking weapons negate this). Creatures outside the whirlwind attempting to attack the air elemental do not suffer this miss chance.[/sblock]
Here it is all cleaned up:
[sblock]Whirlwind (Su)

The elemental can transform itself into a whirlwind once every 10 minutes and remain in that form for up to 1 round for every HD it has. In this form, the elemental can move through the air or along a surface at its fly speed. Entering this form is a standard action, and each round while in it, the elemental must spend a standard action to either maintain or dismiss the whirlwind.

The whirlwind is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top. The elemental controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet and a maximum of 20 ft + 10 ft per size category above Small. Greater and Elder Elementals have a maximum height of 60 ft.

The elemental’s movement while in whirlwind form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the elemental enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the whirlwind if it enters the whirlwind, or if the elemental moves into or through the creature’s space. If a whirlwind contains any other creature, it moves at half speed.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the elemental might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (see table for details) and may be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed on a Reflex save or take the indicated damage and then make a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking the indicated damage each round. Creatures only need to save against these effects once per round, regardless of how many times the elemental enters and exits their space. Creatures are allowed a Reflex (DC 10 + ½ HD +Strength modifer) save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful. Flying creatures can fly out, others fall to the ground.

Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the whirlwind. Creatures caught in the whirlwind can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell and take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The elemental can have only as many creatures trapped inside the whirlwind at one time as will fit inside the whirlwind’s volume.

The elemental can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the whirlwind happens to be. A summoned elemental always ejects trapped creatures before returning to its home plane.

If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the elemental and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment. Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

An elemental in whirlwind form cannot make slam attacks and does not threaten the area around it. Creatures outside the whirlwind attempting to attack any creature caught within it have a 50% chance of hitting the air elemental instead (treat this like firing into a grapple; Improved Precise Shot and Seeking weapons negate this). Creatures outside the whirlwind attempting to attack the air elemental do not suffer this miss chance.[/sblock]
And, here is the new Vortex, changed to match Whirlwind:
[sblock]Vortex (Su)

The elemental can transform itself into a whirlpool once every 10 minutes, provided it is underwater, and remain in that form for up to 1 round for every HD it has. In this form,the elemental can move through the water or along the bottom at its swim speed. Entering this form is a standard action, and each round while in it, the elemental must spend a standard action to either maintain or dismiss the vortex.

The vortex is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top. The elemental controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet and a maximum of 20 ft + 10 ft per size category above Small. Greater and Elder Elementals have a maximum height of 60 ft.

The elemental’s movement while in vortex form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the elemental enters the space another creature occupies. Another creature might be caught in the vortex if it enters the vortex, or if the elemental moves into or through the creature’s space. If a vortex contains any other creature, it moves at half speed.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the elemental might take damage when caught in the vortex (see table for details) and may be swept up by it. An affected creature must succeed on a Reflex save or take the indicated damage and then make a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful currents, automatically taking the indicated damage each round. Creatures only need to save against these effects once per round, regardless of how many times the elemental enters and exits their space. Creatures are allowed a Reflex (DC 10 + ½ HD +Strength modifer) save each round to escape the vortex. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful. Creatures with a swim speed can swim out, others are treated as underwater (as if they had failed a swim check by 5 or more).

Creatures trapped in the vortex cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the vortex. Creatures caught in the vortex can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell and take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The elemental can have only as many creatures trapped inside the vortex at one time as will fit inside the vortex’s volume.

The elemental can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the vortex happens to be. A summoned elemental always ejects trapped creatures before returning to its home plane.

If the vortex’s base touches the bottom, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the elemental and has a diameter equal to half the vortex’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment. Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

An elemental in vortex form cannot make slam attacks and does not threaten the area around it. Creatures outside the vortex attempting to attack any creature caught within it have a 50% chance of hitting the water elemental instead (treat this like firing into a grapple; Improved Precise Shot and Seeking weapons negate this). Creatures outside the vortex attempting to attack the water elemental do not suffer this miss chance.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads