Let's update Appendix N

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Sorry to say, I have grown out of reading Fantasy literature and RPG's, D&D specifically.
Now I enjoy wargames and history books.
*shrug*
But I did read a lot of Fantasy and Science Fiction in my teens and early twenties.
I do remember Robert Heinlein rather fondly...

Dr Simon

Explorer
I think in the first bestiary Gagyx used Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian monsters without permission. He did the same with Elric and hobbits.

Yes, the Cthulhu and Melnibone Mythos are in the (now almost legendary) first printing of Deities and Demigods.

Hmm, I think I'll put a list of these suggestions in the first post.

Elf Witch

First Post
Interesting, that's quite a feat. Any you'd particularly recommend? I remember back when I first got my copy of the DMG I'd barely heard of most of the authors, but I put that down to being 12 years old. When I looked back at them recently, I still hadn't even heard of, let alone read, a lot of the authors, but I've managed to find most of them on Amazon, as second-hand at least.

Y'know, if we're including Dan Brown we probably ought to include Clive Cussler. The one and only book of his I read (don't remember the title), involved modern-day Nazis looking for Atlantis in Antarctica. On a giant ship. And I think they had a doomsday weapon of some sort. That's top-notch ridiculous pulp-plotting right there!

I enjoyed the Jack Vance at the time though I have been told that they didn't age well. But I think reading at least one shows the idea behind DnD wizard magic. I am huge fan of Manly Wade Wellman and highly recommend his books. Especially his Silver john and John Thunderstone series. Andre Norton Witch World has an interesting take on how magic works. Leigh Brackett mar's stories are wonderful for detail on planetary intrigue I read them at the same time I was reading Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series and the difference between the two are interesting. I enjoy Burroughs especially his Tarzan novels I recently got the entire series for 4.00 on my Nook. I highly recommended Fred Saberhagen both his sword series and his Dracula series. The Dracula series is a fun read the first pokes subtle fun at the Bram Stoker novel. The books are told from Dracula POV.

Nellisir

Hero
Guy Gavriel Kay in general; Tigana and the Fionavar trilogy in particular.
Gene Wolfe in general; Books of the New Sun and The Wizard Knight in particular.
Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood books.
I've gotten a lot of inspiration out of Michael Scott Rohan's Winter of the World trilogy, and the ancillary books in the series.
Catherynne M. Valente in general; The Orphan's Tales and The Girl Who series in particular.
Raymond Chandler; definitely not fantasy, except it kinda is.
Patricia McKillip for, basically, everything. The Riddlemaster of Hed series; The Forgotten Beasts of Eld; The Book of Atrix Wolfe; A Song for the Basilisk....
Robin McKinley
Peter S Beagle (I've only read one of his books, but it was incredible, and I want more...)
Susanna Clarke for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories (which is actually her entire oeuvre to date)

I'd have to actually go and look at my shelves for more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases