Old-school dungeon crawl using 5e playtest rules

Li Shenron

Legend
While you finalize your PCs, I have a couple of questions for all of you.

It's a given that there will be dungeon exploration and combat encounters.

We should decide however, if we also want to give a try to the actual 5e interaction rules and exploration rules.

More specifically, would you prefer (a) to start from the nearest town/village including possibly interacting with the locals, (b) to start from the wilderness, having some rounds with the 5e exploration rules, or (c) to start straight at the dungeon entrance?

Shayuri

First Post
If we're doing a playtest, lets test the rules. I don't mind taking a little longer. I anticipate this being a lot of fun, so lets have fun with it. :)

My vote is for A, B and C...in that order.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd like not to ignore the other pillars, but I'd like to get going -- Starting in the wilderness or right at the dungeon makes sense to me so that we can get some momentum. We promise to interact with NPCs in the future! But of course, it's your game -- go with whatever you feel will get us moving.

Bartleby's done now, I think (post 19).

Is it okay to assume that at some point he'd spent a few hours making potions with the herbalism kit? I've bought the ingredients.

If anyone has thoughts on the build, I'd appreciate it.

Shayuri

First Post
Bartlesby is unusually spry for a dwarf! Does that dex bonus help you much when you're wearing that armor? I haven't gone over the rules for equipment in detail yet. Is it just Heavy armor that stops the dex bonus from applying?

Also, did they do away with the 'druids cannot wear metal' thing D&D has always had?

If so, I don't see any issues or anything. Pretty sweet roll for stats, but then I'm in no position to complain myself. :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for the comments:

Medium armor allows +2 from dex (+1 from dwarvocity). I pumped Dex over Str really on a whim, but I think it works. I expect if we get to a point of levelling up that at least 1 level of rogue would be in his future (maybe after Druid 2).

As for the metal, here is my reading: druids don't have proficiencies in metal armor, but it's not banned to them. That was part of what I wanted to play around with -- a metal druid. (cue electric guitar riff).

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'd like not to ignore the other pillars, but I'd like to get going -- Starting in the wilderness or right at the dungeon makes sense to me so that we can get some momentum. We promise to interact with NPCs in the future! But of course, it's your game -- go with whatever you feel will get us moving.
This sums up my feelings on the matter as well. :) I'd certainly like to playtest the exploration and interaction rules in the course of this game, but I think the best thing for now is to kick in the door and get busy!

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm happy to fit around everyone else. Looks like the group could use a meatshield Fighter or Barbarian of some sort. Maybe a Warforged?

You are free to choose. I am not going to make suggestions, since I know what awaits you all but I love randomness - that's quite a feature of old school IMHO :) - and that includes playing with a party of PC that may be of any combination of PCs. I didn't look at your PCs before choosing what is in the adventure in order to tailor it around them!

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] I believe you are entitled an additional bonus language. You can also choose if you want some spells e.g. Mage Armor pre-cast before approaching the location of adventure.

I will have the party roll some preliminary skill checks before writing the opening description.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
'Tock' - NG Warforged Fighter

Description
Tock's earliest memory is a blinding flash of sunlight as a fallen tree was lifted off him in a forest clearing, followed by a collection of puzzled looks from a crowd of human villagers gathered around him.

Not recalling his actual name, he adopted the moniker 'Tock' after a little girl commented on the 'tick tock man' the men brought back to the village, a reference to the mechanical timepiece embedded into his chestplate. Unusually the timepiece does not seem to conform to the hours of the day, sometimes speeding up, sometimes slowing down,and is covered with arcane symbols in place of numbers. It's purpose is unknown, even to Tock himself.

Tock was greeted with suspicion and even fear by the villagers at first,but he soon proved his worth when he helped drive away a band of Kobolds which raided the village's food stores. Since then, Tock has become a self-appointed protector of sorts, helping defend the village from threats, patrolling the local area and even helping to gather supplies for the harsh winters to ensure the villagers have enough food.

Recently Tock has been troubled by his still absent memory, and has determined to see more of the world in the hope that someone, somewhere, may be able to tell him who he truly is.

Level 2 stats below

Attachments

• warforged.jpg
    warforged.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Remove ads