Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Is it common, nowadays, for TV shows to insert reruns during the season?
Yes, well on non-cable stations.

Why do shows do this?
Around 20 new shows are made year, but there are more than 20 weeks in a TV fall/winter season. So they need fillers of sorts.

Why do they show the preview for the next episode, but then next week show a rerun? It's pretty damn annoying.
Because you are still watching even if you are annoyed.

Janx

Hero
Yes, well on non-cable stations.

Around 20 new shows are made year, but there are more than 20 weeks in a TV fall/winter season. So they need fillers of sorts.

Because you are still watching even if you are annoyed.

My DVR weeds out the re-runs, so it's mostly a problem for people who don't have DVRs.

If I didn't have a DVR, I probably wouldn't watch TV.

Herschel

Adventurer
My main issue at this point is that there seems to be no chemistry building amongst the cast. When Min Na Wen's hyper-stoic character seems teh most accessible to the rest of the cast there's a problem. Fitz-Simmons is a distant second.

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
Sadly this series is not what I expected. Except for maybe 2 episodes you hardly notice that it is Marvel. Just compare it for example with Arrow which is choke full of references. But here? A Fury cameo and 2 one shot- movie references, that was it.
Yes, but many of the references in Arrow were just as terrible as the series is, and completely disrespectful to the source material. Also, you shouldn't need the call-backs. The series should stand on its own.

Personally, I've given it a good run, but I'm really not a fan. My biggest problem is Skye. Skye is annoying, whiny, sucks the attention from actually interesting things, and manages to remain on board after not only breaking into SHIELD crap frequently but also betraying the team. The whole "missing parents" thing is an entirely unnecessary level that adds nothing except give her more to whine about. Whenever that horrid character opens her mouth, I get flashbacks to Wesley Crusher and Crow.

I actually like most of the rest of the cast. There's real potential between Ward and the science guys, and Coulson is awesome even despite some rather odd behavior. It's really sad to see how horribly underutilized Wen is. I really think I'd start to enjoy the show if Skye got Tara'd in the next episode.

Derren

Hero
Yes, but many of the references in Arrow were just as terrible as the series is, and completely disrespectful to the source material. Also, you shouldn't need the call-backs. The series should stand on its own.

The thing is, Arrow didn't need those references but they were a nice addition. AoS on the other hand has nothing, not even that.

And disrespectful of the source material? Be honest, nothing gets retconed more than superheroes. Pretty much every superhero went through several completely different incarnations and multiple alternate reality versions.

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
The thing is, Arrow didn't need those references but they were a nice addition. AoS on the other hand has nothing, not even that.
When interesting characters get neutered, I don't consider it a plus.
And disrespectful of the source material? Be honest, nothing gets retconed more than superheroes. Pretty much every superhero went through several completely different incarnations and multiple alternate reality versions.
That has nothing to do with the substance of anything I've said.

Honestly, Arrow is worse to Green Arrow than that horrible X-Men movie was to Deadpool. It's atrocious. It makes New 52 look well thought-out and well-written.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've really enjoyed the series so far. I actually like the fact that it doesn't rehash a lot of old Marvel stuff. It's interesting to see new things pop up. This is SHIELD in the 2010s, not a reliving of old SHIELD comic stories. While there is a place for the revisiting of classic tales, it's great to see a studio that is willing to stick its neck out and do something fresh. Almost everything in the comic and gaming media these days is sequels and re-writes. New, original stories are exciting.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
If this show gets bad ratings, it'll be because of the schedule. It's gotten to be a crap shoot each week whether we'll actually see the next episode. I, my wife, and my 13 year old son sit down for this every Tuesday night, and we've been frustrated several times with reruns instead of being shown the next part of the story. And we can't find the schedule online anywhere, so we don't know if it's a new episode this week until we turn it on. It's gotten to the point where if it wasn't for it being a family thing for us, I'd give up on it and just catch it a year from now when it's on Netflix or somewhere.

I don't watch much TV, so I don't know if this is a normal thing. The last TV show I watched regularly/weekly was Star Trek: The Next Generation. I got into Buffy the Vampire Slayer during the last season, and that show did this same thing. Trying to follow what was going on drove me crazy because I didn't know I was seeing reruns sprinkled through the regular story. I watched Buffy for about 10-12 weeks, and half of the airings were reruns.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases