How do you use a butter knife?

Which side of the knife do you use to spread on bread?

• Curved side (blade) against the bread

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Flat side (back) against the bread

Votes: 2 6.3%

Janx

Hero
I don't know what that phraseology translates to in term of real world objects (two Welsh Rarebits on top of each other?) but my experience in the US of you guys drenching everything in several tons of plastic melted glowing cheese-substance suggests I'd want to steer clear.

Thats cheezwhiz or velveeta. It aint right. The closest place to acceptability is that apparently some Philedelphians consider cheezewhiz the proper cheese for a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.

I have not yet been able to eat an authentic Philly Cheesesteak from Philedelphia to confirm this or not.

Outside of this, any other use of cheesewhiz is or velveeta is considered a crime against humanity per the Wisconsin Accords of 1915.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I use a spoon for nuttela, peanut butter, or jam, a hot steak knife for hard butter, and a spatula for soft butter.
I use butter knives as screwdrivers.

frankthedm

First Post
I was always taught that Americans don't put butter on their sandwiches. Is that true, or just a myth?
Butter / margarine on a hot cheese sandwich, but not much else. It might sneak in there when i'm building a multi decker Shaggy Sandwich though.

300px-Super_Shaggy_Sandwich.png

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Grilled cheese or ham and cheese requires butter, as does grilled bacon and cheese, roast beef and cheese and . . . . .

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I was always taught that Americans don't put butter on their sandwiches. Is that true, or just a myth?

I don't know about all "Americans", but I hate butter on sandwiches almost as much as I do mayonnaise. YUCK! Butter is for baking, cooking or melting on something hot.

Jhaelen

First Post
I always use cream cheese, oh, and I do use the flat side of the knife! Oh, and I'm a left-handed vegetarian in case that matters.

Nellisir

Hero
Butter goes on the outside of a grilled sandwich (usually - my family didn't bother, but my wife's does). Morrus - a grilled cheese sandwich is cheese between two slices of bread, then you grill it & melt the cheese. It's often done with American cheese, but it doesn't have to be. American does melt very smoothly, though. I prefer cheddar. A grilled cheese with tuna or ham is pretty common as well.

Janx

Hero
Butter goes on the outside of a grilled sandwich (usually - my family didn't bother, but my wife's does). Morrus - a grilled cheese sandwich is cheese between two slices of bread, then you grill it & melt the cheese. It's often done with American cheese, but it doesn't have to be. American does melt very smoothly, though. I prefer cheddar. A grilled cheese with tuna or ham is pretty common as well.

that's because American Cheese isn't cheese. it's a processed thing like Velveeta.

I'm married to a Wisconite. they know their cheeses (though they insist all real cheese comes from Wisconsin, which seems improbable).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
that's because American Cheese isn't cheese. it's a processed thing like Velveeta.

I'm married to a Wisconite. they know their cheeses (though they insist all real cheese comes from Wisconsin, which seems improbable).

Nah, they come from Cheddar!

Nellisir

Hero

I'm from New Hampshire. As much as I'm loathe to admit it, proper US cheddar comes from Cabot, Vermont. (I'm willing to concede that I have not tried Cheddar cheddar.) All the Wisconsin stuff we get back here is plastic wrapped mass-produced orange stuff.

WTF is up with that orange coloring, anyways? My wife keeps buying orange "cheddar", and I keep telling her it's the wrong color. (She grew up in Thailand, so proper cheese is a bit foreign to her. And I don't eat fish ball soup, so....)

Remove ads