What drink should I try?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Cafe Oscar is black coffee with a shot of amaretto and a shot of coffee liquor in it. It'll warm you right up!

My Kahluha milkshakes contain vanilla ice cream, a little chocolate syrup, Kahluha, Amaretto...and vodka. Tastes so much like a standard chocolate milkshake, most people don't notice the assault in their sobriety until halfway through #2.

Enforcer

Explorer
I'd have to get an ice tray, some new plastic something or other to put in the freezer to hold the ice, all for a few mixed drinks, and if I don't use the ice quickly (and I won't) then unless I dump the ice the next morning it'll end up getting weird and fuzzy with the random detritus of the freezer. So if I wanted clean non-offensive ice I'd pretty much have to know I wanted a drink a few hours beforehand to have it ready.
An ice tray can be bought for next to nothing. A super fancy one like I have (search Amazon for Tovolo ice tray) costs a staggering $15 for a set of two that makes a total of 30 cubes. And then you'll have ice. And you need ice to make a cocktail. And if the ice goes bad, so what? Make more ice... I don't see making ice as the ordeal you seem to think it is.

... If a bartender wants to make fun of me for ordering a Midori Sour, let h im. Everyone deserves a little levity in their night. But why should I *ever* base my drink order on the "respect" the drink gets me from a bartender or, for that matter, anyone else?
It's because a Midori Sour isn't a very interesting or good drink. Especially when made incorrectly (without ice).

Hrm... that sounds interesting. I'll put the lemon juice (I will not fresh squeeze lemons), Cointreau and whatever cognac I can find on the shopping list. Might try it this Saturday.
Don't bother if you're not going to squeeze the lemons. That bottled lemon juice stuff is garbage and mixing it with fine spirits like Cointreau and VS Cognac is a waste of good liquor. If you like, make two cocktails, one with real lemon juice and the other with the bottled crap. Taste them side by side. You'll never use anything but fresh-squeezed again.

Also, you should get a measuring device of some sort. Most liquor stores can sell you a cheap jigger. You should think of cocktails like baking, not cooking—a precise recipe is important.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I'd have to get an ice tray, some new plastic something or other to put in the freezer to hold the ice, all for a few mixed drinks, and if I don't use the ice quickly (and I won't) then unless I dump the ice the next morning it'll end up getting weird and fuzzy with the random detritus of the freezer. So if I wanted clean non-offensive ice I'd pretty much have to know I wanted a drink a few hours beforehand to have it ready.

Ok, so you'll need an ice cube tray, a bin to store them and a roll of saran wrap.

Remove ads