What drink should I try?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Honestly, though, I don't hate Red, Black or Green. It's not like it's bad, there's just so much out there that's so much better (and I do prefer single malts anyway). I really think, though, that the only people that think Blue is the best scotch on the planet are people that've never had it.

bone_naga

Explorer
Yeah, I've tried them all and I wasn't particularly impressed. They aren't awful, but I only stoop to that brand when there's nothing better around.

Honestly, though, I don't hate Red, Black or Green. It's not like it's bad, there's just so much out there that's so much better (and I do prefer single malts anyway). I really think, though, that the only people that think Blue is the best scotch on the planet are people that've never had it.
And cheaper. Blue label, especially, is way overpriced.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Yeah, I've tried them all and I wasn't particularly impressed. They aren't awful, but I only stoop to that brand when there's nothing better around.

I admit to doing that once. I'd much rather drink Famous Grouse or even Cutty Sark (lol) than Walker, though.

And cheaper. Blue label, especially, is way overpriced.

That it is. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or kicks it square in the nuts at nowhere near the cost.

Mallus

Legend
Johnny Walker is only scotch if you're the type of guy that considers PBR to be beer.
I'd break out my favorite quote from Blue Velvet, but ENWorld frowns on profanity...

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a fine American beer. No matter how many hipsters and/or bike messengers drink it. Crisp, clean-tasting, nowhere near as anemic as the more popular mass-market brands. A fine alternative to spendier microbrews or Belgian ales. It's a good beer to have when you're having 6-10.

Now that we've cleared up...let me suggest a few classic cocktails.

The Manhattan - rye or bourbon/sweet vermouth/bitters.
The Old-Fashioned - rye or bourbon/sugar cube or simple syrup/bitters.
The Negroni -gin/campari/sweet vermouth.

These three are on the sweeter side, and, most importantly, they consist almost entirely of booze. No godawful sour mix in sight!

Consider these as important first steps toward drinking liquor neat, the way God intended it.

(actually, cocktails with more elaborate components are fine, but you really should learn to drink something straight, no chaser. It's an important developmental milestone)

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I'd break out my favorite quote from Blue Velvet, but ENWorld frowns on profanity...

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a fine American beer. No matter how many hipsters and/or bike messengers drink it. Crisp, clean-tasting, nowhere near as anemic as the more popular mass-market brands. A fine alternative to spendier microbrews or Belgian ales. It's a good beer to have when you're having 6-10.

Let me rebut with one of my favorite quotes - it used to be Warsteiner's tagline: Because life is too short to drink cheap beer. ;)

(actually, cocktails with more elaborate components are fine, but you really should learn to drink something straight, no chaser. It's an important developmental milestone)

Agreed.

Mallus

Legend
Let me rebut with one of my favorite quotes - it used to be Warsteiner's tagline: Because life is too short to drink cheap beer. ;)
Heh... life's too short to drink bad beer. I cringe whenever someone orders a Coors (anything). But good & cheap is a knockout combination.

That said, I'm going out after work tonight and I'm pretty sure I won't be having PBR. Probably 1 or 2 high-test domestic IPAs -- the kind they serve in a 10 oz frou-frou glass, followed by a pint of something with a lower ABV.

(I have to work tomorrow. Also, I'm getting old.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases