Romance of the 3 kingdoms

Kamard

First Post
Not that I know of, but that would be a very interesting setting to play in.

Would you make it fantastical, or try to keep it pretty historic?

garyh

First Post
That's a GREAT idea!! I loved those old Koei video games and Capcom's Destiny of an Emperor.

But, alas, I don't know of any d20 resources for R3K...

Last edited:

PA

First Post
The game is in the making!

Have a look on:

www.romancingcathay.com

Personally, I'd like options to be provided so we can play a historical game or a more "wuxia" one. If a choice must be made, my own personal preference would be the 3K era as presented in the novel: not exactly historical, not wuxia either, but somewhat in-between. I crave for the legendary and epic feel of San Guo Yanyi (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).

Black Omega

First Post
Re: The game is in the making!

PA said:
Have a look on:

www.romancingcathay.com

Personally, I'd like options to be provided so we can play a historical game or a more "wuxia" one. If a choice must be made, my own personal preference would be the 3K era as presented in the novel: not exactly historical, not wuxia either, but somewhat in-between. I crave for the legendary and epic feel of San Guo Yanyi (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).

I admit I'm more inspired by the 'All Men Are Brothers' (or Shui Hu Chuan if you prefer), but it's all good. I've run a game based in this period and I mostly stuck to common Wuxia things. I even showed me group the movie 'All Men Are Brothers' to get people in the proper mindset for that type of game. The game was a ton of fun to run.

PA

First Post
Another one of the "great 4" of Chinese Literature

Some believe that Luo Guanzhong, author of San Guo Yan Yi is either the co-author or editor of Shui Hu Zhuan (Pinyin for Shui Hu Chuan). This novel is known in English as All Men Are Brothers (translation by the Nobel and Pulitzer awards winner Pearl S. Buck, most famous for her novel The Good Earth) or more often as Outlaws of the Marsh, Outlaws of the Water Margin or even simply Water Margin. An RPG already exists on it:

http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~panurge/outlaws.htm

Larry Fitz

First Post
I must play Sima Yi in an RPG... an RPG based on RTK's would be a great idea, I've been toying with basing a D20 campaign on it, but frankly don't have the time just yet to run one, and wasn't sure who, if anyone, has the rights to write material based on it. Anyone know if Koei has any sort of applicable copyrights on the source material or ifthe author(s) of the books mentioned by PA do?

PA

First Post
Larry Fitz said:
I must play Sima Yi in an RPG... an RPG based on RTK's would be a great idea, I've been toying with basing a D20 campaign on it, but frankly don't have the time just yet to run one, and wasn't sure who, if anyone, has the rights to write material based on it. Anyone know if Koei has any sort of applicable copyrights on the source material or ifthe author(s) of the books mentioned by PA do?

No, nobody has legal rights on the original novels. They're much too old for that. On the other hand, specific translations are copyrighted, so be careful when quoting. By the way, there is a translation of RTK available online, with hyperlinks even to allow the reader to better follow the plot:

http://www.threekingdoms.com/index.htm
http://members.aol.com/magnamail/rotk.zip

The only problem, if they've not solved it since then, is with the translation of names. Ugh.

I should invite Chuan to take part in that discussion. I'll send him an email now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Actually if we could have a setting that blended San Guo Yanyi, Shui Hu Chuan and Hsi Yu Chi (Journewy to the West - Monkey Magic!) the we would have t Oriental Adventures the way it should have been (ie sans all that Rokugan carp:p)

Linch9

First Post
Tonguez said:
Actually if we could have a setting that blended San Guo Yanyi, Shui Hu Chuan and Hsi Yu Chi (Journewy to the West - Monkey Magic!) the we would have t Oriental Adventures the way it should have been (ie sans all that Rokugan carp:p)

That would be just like Rokugan. No, it would be better to have a basic engine like d20 Modern, and have various campaign books using that engine.

By mixing them together, you began to lose the overall theme of each book. i.e. So, are you character going to restore the kingdom or go to search for Buddha's writing or to overthrow the govenrment?

The campaign that are successful are those that have a single clear define goal.

Remove ads